Southern Caribbean - best excursion?

EeyoreRN

Hi!  We are sailing on Freedom of the Seas out of San Juan next May. This is a port-intensive sailing with only one sea day, and we are planning mostly beaching/snorkeling on our own. We would like to choose one (or two) special excursions with a real WOW factor. I am 51, travelling with my 20-something kids. We love adventure, outdoors, scenery, history, wild life, etc. Budget is not too much a factor if it's really a worthwhile experience.

Please tell me about your favorite, really special or unique, not-to-be missed excursion in any of the following ports:

St. Thomas

St. Kitt's

St. Lucia

Antigua

Barbados

I also should add that we are leaning towards NOT doing excursions in St. Thomas or Antigua, since they both have so many amazing, easily accessible beaches. If you suggest one on one of those islands, please really sell it :)!

Thanks!

Eeyore

On St. Kitts, we have used Blue Water Safari twice.  Great catamaran ride to snorkel spots then onto Nevis for time at the beach and to have one (and only one) bee sting - think that's the name of the drink.  Great tour both times, fantastic crew.

On St. Lucia, we used Cosol Tours for a full day island tour, which was fantastic.  There is so much to see here, especially the Pitons.  We ended up at a beach for a couple of hours - tour was part land, part sea and was so memorable.

On Barbados, we used Silver Moon Tour to swim with turtles and snorkel - another great adventure

• Like 2

We are cruising a southern itinerary at the end of February and have rented a monohull boat for the day in St. Lucia. We didn't want to risk driving on the island because we have a tendency to get car sick. I'll definitely post a review on the St. Lucia board when we return because I haven't been able to find a lot of information for there beyond Cosol and Spencer Ambrose.

In Antigua, we visited Beachlimerz for the best beach day we've ever had. We plan on going there again on this cruise.

• Like 1

On 10/21/2018 at 12:21 AM, brookie848 said:

We are cruising a southern itinerary at the end of February and have rented a monohull boat for the day in St. Lucia. We didn't want to risk driving on the island because we have a tendency to get car sick.

22 hours ago, ms Eden said:

I learned Cosol Tours no longer does the return trip by the sea. Instead they now use a van both ways. 

I'm also getting car sick, that's why I've looked into the option of doing one way (to the Pitons) by car, and returning by sea, and that's almost 2 years ago. Cosol wasn't offering this option even then. Cosol was highly recommended, but I wasn't ready for 4 hours in a car...

The only one offering the option of one way by car and back by sea was James Touring Services (at least on paper).

Turns out he just left us on the pier, promising that soon we'll be on our way, but in the end it was a boat catering to land vacationers, who stopped at different locations, and we barely made the "all aboard" by several minutes....

The "all aboard" was at 4.30PM, and James promised us several times (according to our agreement) that we'll be back on ship by 2PM....

• Like 1

My vote is for Boss Underwater adventures in St.Thomas as well. We did that one in April and found it to be one of the best excursions we've ever done. Lot's of different types of sea life that the divers encourage to interact with customers, a ship wreck and the fun of operating an underwater scooter. Afterward, there is time to go snorkelling if you choose.

• Like 1

On 10/19/2018 at 4:23 PM, EeyoreRN said:

Hi!  We are sailing on Freedom of the Seas out of San Juan next May. This is a port-intensive sailing with only one sea day, and we are planning mostly beaching/snorkeling on our own. We would like to choose one (or two) special excursions with a real WOW factor. I am 51, travelling with my 20-something kids. We love adventure, outdoors, scenery, history, wild life, etc. Budget is not too much a factor if it's really a worthwhile experience.

Please tell me about your favorite, really special or unique, not-to-be missed excursion in any of the following ports:

St. Thomas

St. Kitt's

St. Lucia

Antigua

Barbados

I also should add that we are leaning towards NOT doing excursions in St. Thomas or Antigua, since they both have so many amazing, easily accessible beaches. If you suggest one on one of those islands, please really sell it :)!

Thanks!

Eeyore

On 10/19/2018 at 4:23 PM, EeyoreRN said:

In reply:

St. Kitts -- Catamaran Sail to Nevis

Barbados -- Swimming with the turtles on a long catamaran excurson ... not a quicky.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/21/2018 at 6:53 PM, ms Eden said:

I learned Cosol Tours no longer does the return trip by the sea. Instead they now use a van both ways. 

Anyone who have used Cosol Tours very recently (within the past one year) can confirm that?  

On 10/22/2018 at 5:30 PM, dani negreanu said:

I'm also getting car sick, that's why I've looked into the option of doing one way (to the Pitons) by car, and returning by sea, and that's almost 2 years ago. Cosol wasn't offering this option even then. Cosol was highly recommended, but I wasn't ready for 4 hours in a car...

The only one offering the option of one way by car and back by sea was James Touring Services (at least on paper).

Turns out he just left us on the pier, promising that soon we'll be on our way, but in the end it was a boat catering to land vacationers, who stopped at different locations, and we barely made the "all aboard" by several minutes....

The "all aboard" was at 4.30PM, and James promised us several times (according to our agreement) that we'll be back on ship by 2PM....

Such a bummer about this!  I was leaning toward booking Cosol. Still might, as we really want to experience the volcanic mud baths!

On 10/22/2018 at 10:23 PM, DrivesLikeMario said:

Best thing we've done is ride ATVs in St. Kitts.  LOTS of fun for novices and experts!  https://www.viator.com/tours/St-Kitts/ATV-Tour-of-St-Kitts/d930-6461ATV

Looks like a blast, but I'm chicken when it comes to ATVs. I know so many who have been badly hurt or killed!

LOL folks, I'm not any closer to a decision...in fact, I think I'm more confused than ever! Now considering doing 3 instead of 2.

1. Definitely something that involves the Pitons and volcanic mud baths in St. Lucia, hope I can find a sail so we can see Pitons from the water. 

2. St. Kitts - sail to Nevis? Full Island Tour?  ATV's (yikes)?

3. Barbados - catamaran sail with lunch? (ship offers one that looks identical to Calabaza on sale now for $2 less.) Or just Boatyard beach with snorkel? What to do?!

4. Now that BOSS thing in St. Thomas is in contention but I had pretty much decided on either Water Island (Honeymoon Beach) or Magens Bay. Easy/cheap awesome beach day.

Any more feedback?

1 hour ago, EeyoreRN said:

Looks like a blast, but I'm chicken when it comes to ATVs. I know so many who have been badly hurt or killed!

I get that. :classic_smile: I was a little intimidated too since it was my first time.  The guide put me right behind him at first then moved me later.  It was much easier than I expected and we didn't take any chances.  If you're good at driving anything, it comes pretty naturally I think and with the guide there, there was no opportunity for stupid hot shot moves and speed was limited to about 60-65 mph.   (I know you're not up for this, but in case anyone else is reading.)

58 minutes ago, EeyoreRN said:

LOL folks, I'm not any closer to a decision...in fact, I think I'm more confused than ever! Now considering doing 3 instead of 2.

1. Definitely something that involves the Pitons and volcanic mud baths in St. Lucia, hope I can find a sail so we can see Pitons from the water. 

2. St. Kitts - sail to Nevis? Full Island Tour?  ATV's (yikes)?

3. Barbados - catamaran sail with lunch? (ship offers one that looks identical to Calabaza on sale now for $2 less.) Or just Boatyard beach with snorkel? What to do?!

4. Now that BOSS thing in St. Thomas is in contention but I had pretty much decided on either Water Island (Honeymoon Beach) or Magens Bay. Easy/cheap awesome beach day.

Any more feedback?

These private tours come very highly recommended by fellow CCers:

1.  Best tour in St. Lucia

2.  Sailing may be more to your taste

3.   Sailing and snorkeling in Barbados is good once.  Here are some other options for you:
Barbados Glory Tours
4.  Last two times we were in St. Thomas, the people at Water Island looked like they were having a really peaceful, nice time!  I'd do that.  Avoid the chaos of traffic that is St. Thomas and get away to a quiet beach.

• Like 1