Current Transatlantic

Jim Avery

1 hour ago, ctbjr1309 said:

Thanks for the info, floridaag.  Much appreciated.

And, incidentally, floridaag, not sure from your handle whether you're in or were in the citrus business or are Pam Bondi :classic_biggrin: but in any event we appreciate your taking the time to check in here.

Edited by ctbjr1309

Welcome back, floridaag!  I’m so happy it went well for you and you were able to dine outdoors so often.  I am excited to be sailing the next crossing on SDI November 18th from Lisbon and have been wondering how your adventure went. Do you have any advice for a transatlantic journey as opposed to a more excursion-filled cruise?  Anything you would have done or packed differently?

2 hours ago, ctbjr1309 said:

And, incidentally, floridaag, not sure from your handle whether you're in or were in the citrus business or are Pam Bondi :classic_biggrin: but in any event we appreciate your taking the time to check in here.

Good one Charlie.  Hey, let me know if it is Pam B.  I am a big fan being ex Florida.  She would have fun on SeaDream no doubt.:classic_biggrin:

3 hours ago, Sphynxie said:

Welcome back, floridaag!  I’m so happy it went well for you and you were able to dine outdoors so often.  I am excited to be sailing the next crossing on SDI November 18th from Lisbon and have been wondering how your adventure went. Do you have any advice for a transatlantic journey as opposed to a more excursion-filled cruise?  Anything you would have done or packed differently?

Trip was delightful.  First time on SD so no frame of reference but have done crossings on Seabourn and cruised on many other luxury and more mass market lines.  Crew is simply amazing.  Food and bev were excellent. Internet was the worst at sea I have ever had.  If you use Outlook and an exchange server you  are basically out of luck as they apparently block access.  

In terms of packing, if I knew how warm the weather was going to be I would have brought fewer long sleeve shirts but otherwise no. If you are a reader, bring a lot of books - otherwise prepare to talk to others and have a wonderful time.  

Thank you very much!  It is far easier to pack warm weather clothing in my limited luggage than items to keep me warm.   Although I run warmer than the average individual, I have wondered about the cooler moist sea breeze.  I shall bring aboard my Kindle, along with my gregarious nature, and now I plan to enjoy the respite from the constant daily outside interference of the internet, emails, and texts.  May you settle back into real life with ease....

How perfect that sounds right now!  The splash stop is not listed on our crossing itinerary. To compensate, I would love to convince our captain to anchor for a time at St. Barth, my childhood stomping grounds I miss so much; but I realize I’m asking for a lot. 

Were you able to swim in the middle of the Atlantic on your journey?

30 minutes ago, Sphynxie said:

How perfect that sounds right now!  The splash stop is not listed on our crossing itinerary. To compensate, I would love to convince our captain to anchor for a time at St. Barth, my childhood stomping grounds I miss so much; but I realize I’m asking for a lot. 

Were you able to swim in the middle of the Atlantic on your journey?

We were not.   They were very focused on the upcoming Coast Guard inspection which took place when we got to San Juan.  Also the only day it was really possible seemed extremely calm but there were actually rolling 6 foot waves that made it impossible according to the Captain and crew.

I am so sorry that daring option did not transpire. I would love at least to jump into the middle of the Atlantic Ocean, merely because I may not have that chance again. I am sure our crossing will include further rehab after emerging from drydock; so the swim also may not be possible. Flippers crossed that it will happen!