New CC format horrible!

I find the new Format on these boards to be very lacking. Where is the search capability in each cruise line list of topics? If I search in the box upper right it searches everywhere (other cruise lines). Give me a search feature for the board I want to search whether it be a cruise line, Port of Call or other.The old format was quick and easy to navigate! Please return to it! 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Janman said:

I find the new Format on these boards to be very lacking. Where is the search capability in each cruise line list of topics? If I search in the box upper right it searches everywhere (other cruise lines). Give me a search feature for the board I want to search whether it be a cruise line, Port of Call or other.The old format was quick and easy to navigate! Please return to it! 

When you open the search window, you are given options of where to search ( on the main board page - Topics, Pages, Images, Albums, Members), and, if you are already in a specific forum, This Forum is also an option.

This format is getting better each day.  

I can't locate "thread tools" which might have had the search feature.   I am getting a digest for my subscribed threads which is good  but don't see where to subscribe to any new ones.  I always do that with roll calls so as not to miss any posts.

And I can't find the place to check "don't show signature".  I know they bug some people and I try not to post it unless it's relevant.   Don't want to delete it as it's a record of where and when I've sailed.

33 minutes ago, HokiePoq said:

I can't locate "thread tools" which might have had the search feature.   I am getting a digest for my subscribed threads which is good  but don't see where to subscribe to any new ones.  I always do that with roll calls so as not to miss any posts.

And I can't find the place to check "don't show signature".  I know they bug some people and I try not to post it unless it's relevant.   Don't want to delete it as it's a record of where and when I've sailed.

I believe the "Manage Followed Content" option is where you set up what threads/posts you want to follow.  You find that by clicking the down arrow next to your username in the upper right.

I know a thread has a "Follow" button at the top right, but I don't know how that works, either.

I'm not sure "don't show signatures" is an option.  They're still tweaking the site, so it may be added later.  The individual post "don't show signature" option is gone.

Edited by Shmoo here

6 minutes ago, Shmoo here said:

I'm not sure "don't show signatures" is an option. 

It is, as I opted for it the other day.
My problem helping further is that I got there via a link to User CP/signatures that someone posted, but didn't give instructions on how to get there again. Perhaps you can figure that out and post?

7 minutes ago, RuthC said:

It is, as I opted for it the other day.
My problem helping further is that I got there via a link to User CP/signatures that someone posted, but didn't give instructions on how to get there again. Perhaps you can figure that out and post?

Ah, ha!  You're right.

Click on the down arrow next to your username in the upper right.  Click on "Account Settings".

On the next page, click on "Signature" on the left side.  One of the options is "View Signatures?"  Toggle the switch "off" to turn off everyone's signatures.

But, I think HokiePok was asking about the individual "block signature" that was originally on posts here allowing them to turn off their signature on a post they've made.

Edited by Shmoo here

3 minutes ago, Shmoo here said:

Click on the down arrow next to your username in the upper right.  Click on "Account Settings".

Thanks. That worked nicely.

Sorry I misunderstood the original question.

1 hour ago, Shmoo here said:

When you open the search window, you are given options of where to search ( on the main board page - Topics, Pages, Images, Albums, Members), and, if you are already in a specific forum, This Forum is also an option.

This format is getting better each day.  

That's only on the larger screens. On the mobile version, the search is generic and runs across all the boards. 

1 hour ago, Shmoo here said:

I'm not sure "don't show signatures" is an option.  They're still tweaking the site, so it may be added later.  The individual post "don't show signature" option is gone.

I'm using a pc and you can find a very small, light coloured 'x' just under the 'heart'/like icon.

If you hover, it will pop up "Ignore signature preferences".

Hope this helps.

2 hours ago, Janman said:

I find the new Format on these boards to be very lacking. The old format was quick and easy to navigate! Please return to it! 

Yes. Another classic example of fixing something that wasn’t broken.  Very aggravating!

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, POA1 said:

That's only on the larger screens. On the mobile version, the search is generic and runs across all the boards. 

I always use my IPad. I used to be able to search a specific location but now as stated by POA1, the search is now generic! Unacceptable! I am not going to use my full sized notebook!

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, POA1 said:

On mobile the search can be limited just like on the desktop. The same functionality is present.

If you tap the search icon on the blue toolbar an edit pops for the search term. Below that is a dropdown Content Search. Just scroll down to see the options, including member search.

Of course until the system has finished creating the indexes it is pretty difficult to fully test a search. :classic_sad:

25 minutes ago, broberts said:

On mobile the search can be limited just like on the desktop. The same functionality is present.

If you tap the search icon on the blue toolbar an edit pops for the search term. Below that is a dropdown Content Search. Just scroll down to see the options, including member search.

Of course until the system has finished creating the indexes it is pretty difficult to fully test a search. :classic_sad:

Thanks for that. The icons are basically the same. The blue on white one stays fixed at the top of the screen. The other one, white on blue searches just the boards and has sub-selects. 

Even if you don't have experience in user interface design, it's pretty apparent that this is suboptimal. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, POA1 said:

Thanks for that. The icons are basically the same. The blue on white one stays fixed at the top of the screen. The other one, white on blue searches just the boards and has sub-selects. 

Even if you don't have experience in user interface design, it's pretty apparent that this is suboptimal. 

I agree. CC should get rid of the CC banner altogether. Instead it could put a CC button on the page toolbar.

19 minutes ago, mamaofami said:

Just wondering why they thought there was anything wrong with the old format? Any ideas? I thought it was fine just the way it was.

I would put my money on monetary reasons.  Or perhaps the old software was no longer supported.  Or maybe they’d outgrown it.  Or maybe a combination/variation of all three.

• Thanks 2

24 minutes ago, mamaofami said:

Just wondering why they thought there was anything wrong with the old format? Any ideas? I thought it was fine just the way it was.

Likely because the underlying software was in desperate need of updating.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, broberts said:

Very reasonable and I understand that certain aspect couldn't be brought forward but I don't understand the wholesales changes for the end users . I believe changes could have been made to the underlying programs while keeping the general appearance of the old . They didn't do this . In fact they seemed to go out of their way to shake things up . Change for change's sake is wrong . 

Edited by richstowe
  • Like 1

I used to enjoy CC and looked forward to checking out new information about cruising, etc.  But now it's a chore to find what you're looking for.  I guess I won't be spending much time on this site in the near future.  ☹️

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, broberts said:

They were running a fairly ancient version of vBulletin. I don't mind the desktop version of the new site, but the mobile version, to use it technical term, blows chunks. It is so much slower than the app version or Tapatalk implementation. It's a real chore to work with and it lacks the nice organizational tools that made subscribed thread management a breeze. The data overhead difference is pretty huge as well. 

• Like 3