New CC format horrible!

Does anyone remember a couple of years ago when the "old" format was the "new" one?  Lots of moans and groans then too.  I guess we will eventually get used to this "new" one.

My main complaints are there is no longer a button to go back to the top and, as POA1 mentioned, if you quote someone and then change your mind you can get rid of the actual quote but not the name of the person you were going to quote.

• Like 1

I'm still trying to figure it all out, don't really like it. I got used to the last change that was made & hopefully this one will also grow on me. We don't really have a choice because this is what we have to work with. The one thing that they did which I really like, is it is so easy now to post pictures.

Allan

6 hours ago, Carnevale said:

And, I selected quote for POA1’s quote but it didn’t appear in my post.  How do you add a quote now?  

And you can add or delete from the quote. 

Click the quote button in the post or posts. Then use the Qoute Post button to insert it. 8fee0987-c381-45d7-8a04-f0703d26c161-1930101753_PerfectlyClear.thumb.jpg.0db09a69733fc5345a27ce99c5a1b876.jpg

11 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

I would put my money on monetary reasons.  Or perhaps the old software was no longer supported.  Or maybe they’d outgrown it.  Or maybe a combination/variation of all three.

Perhaps CC should make this a "pay-for-play" site ...

Why they didn't put together some sort of tutorial is beyond me.  I understand the need to update and make changes, but to leave us to figure it out for ourselves is a mistake.  Most of us are not terribly technically gifted, and we will either flounder for awhile or move on.  

• Like 1

Just realized that you can do some pretty spiffy things.  Even non-supported things like highlighting and tables.

Let’s see how this works. It’s highlighting!

How about a table?

Ship Name Need It/Got It Notes
Amsterdam Need It  
Eurodam Got It  
Koningsdam Need It  
Maasdam Got It Twice
Nieuw Amsterdam Got It  
Noordam Got It Both the Old and the New One
Oosterdam Got It  
Prinsendam Never Gonna Get It  
Rotterdam Need It  
Veendam Need It  
Volendam Got It Twice
Westerdam Got It  
Zaandam Need It  
Zuiderdam Got It It’ll be twice when we take our Christmas Cruise in a few month.

2 hours ago, POA1 said:

Click the quote button in the post or posts. Then use the Qoute Post button to insert it. 8fee0987-c381-45d7-8a04-f0703d26c161-1930101753_PerfectlyClear.thumb.jpg.0db09a69733fc5345a27ce99c5a1b876.jpg

Many thx!  I was missing that 2nd step.  An online help function would be nice but in its absence the support of fellow posters is appreciated!

6 minutes ago, Carnevale said:

Many thx!  I was missing that 2nd step.  An online help function would be nice but in its absence the support of fellow posters is appreciated!

Happy to help!

BTW, if you start to highlight just part of a post, you'll see little "Quote Selection" pop-up button. It works the same way.

snip-part.JPG.eef39d51bb009ce2f7e30e14907519c7.JPG

21 minutes ago, POA1 said:

BTW, if you start to highlight just part of a post, you'll see little "Quote Selection" pop-up button. It works the same way

Thanks, that is so helpful! I very seldom need to quote an entire post.

45 minutes ago, dznymom said:

Why they didn't put together some sort of tutorial is beyond me.  I understand the need to update and make changes, but to leave us to figure it out for ourselves is a mistake.  Most of us are not terribly technically gifted, and we will either flounder for awhile or move on.  

I keep saying that same thing! When my credit cards, banks, or even most websites change the layout of their site, they offer a tutorial when I log on, which can be bypassed if I don’t want to use it. With such a drastic change to this site, a tutorial is necessary. The new site is difficult to navigate and is quite time consuming.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Sea42 said:

Thanks, that is so helpful! I very seldom need to quote an entire post.

You're welcome. To be honest, I didn't even know it existed until I was answering your question. :classic_wacko:

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Carnevale said:

Agree completely with POA1.

I miss the view new posts option and the highlighting of threads with new posts.

Threads with unread posts have a blue dot or star in front of the name. And you can choose to make whole forums as read to get rid of blue dots that you don't care about.

The old system was easy to navigate, but the new one is difficult. Did Cruise Critic decide to make changes so it looked like your people appear to be doing something.      Before, your members learned from each other.  Now, you will probably lose members.  Unless it gets simpler, you will probably lose me.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Lindy4508 said:

The old system was easy to navigate, but the new one is difficult. Did Cruise Critic decide to make changes so it looked like your people appear to be doing something.      Before, your members learned from each other.  Now, you will probably lose members.  Unless it gets simpler, you will probably lose me.

Nasty. Learning a new system is rarely fun, but that is no reason to take it out on the people trying to improve the website.

This new site can actually be much easier to navigate. One simply needs to take the time to learn how. Learning about custom streams and home screen/desktop shortcuts makes things even easier.

1 minute ago, broberts said:

This new site can actually be much easier to navigate. One simply needs to take the time to learn how. Learning about custom streams and home screen/desktop shortcuts makes things even easier.

Yes, I was nervous about the coming changes, but I find it's not all that different (or difficult) to get around here.  Just different names of things that work the same as they did before.

Yes, there are a few things that need to be tweaked, but that's not unusual in any changeover.  And they're being worked on.  Every time I'm here there's a little change.

And I'm in the "don't like change" group, usually.

• Like 1

We all have our own opinions.  Looks like some of you think the new format is an improvement and easy to use. I am in the other group finding it quite difficult and not easy to use. I am not being mean to any one person. I just think the program was much easier on the old format.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, HokiePoq said:

I can't locate "thread tools"  ...

And I can't find the place to check "don't show signature".  I know they bug some people and I try not to post it unless it's relevant.   Don't want to delete it as it's a record of where and when I've sailed.

Don’t worry about your signature - Each person can turn off the  “view signature of others“ option, if they do not want to see signatures. 

They navigate to their own account:  Settings  - Account Settings - Signature.  

I’ve posted a photo from account settings below, with  view signatures turned off. 

A2947EC0-A59F-4556-9C7A-9AE866D73BCF.jpeg

Edited by BSocial
Clarify

5 hours ago, broberts said:

Nasty. Learning a new system is rarely fun, but that is no reason to take it out on the people trying to improve the website.

When dealing with the general public, you want it to be as user friendly as possible. The more users, the more clicks on your ads. Nobody wants a “second job” to research how to use a message board.