Antarctica Cruise Video

Cruzer Two

Thank you for posting this video.  It brought back good  memories of my Zaandam cruise this year.  You saw some areas that we did not see.  We were not able to sail through the Lemaire Channel due to the ice conditions.  I enjoyed seeing your pictures of that transit!  

9 hours ago, kaisatsu said:

Wow! You just posted all of your cruise videos from Norway! Did you do the Norwegian coast and Antarctica back-to-back?! That’s quite an intense trip!!!

No these were done in different years.  I'm just posting some of my past videos since CC has update the site.

Ron

• 4 weeks later...
13 hours ago, gretschwhtfalcon said:

Thanks for posting this...I'm taken right back to our journey down there last February. What an amazing part of the world!  Curious as to what music you used in that video? 

The music on the video was The Harshest Place On Earth from the March of the Penguins by Alex Wurman.

• 2 weeks later...

In the past 10 years, I’ve posted 217 travel videos on Youtube and have tracked the analysis they have complied.  The average view-time for a video has been 2 minutes, 22 seconds with the longest view-time being just under 4 minutes. When I first started posting, I would create one video for the entire trip that would run between 15 and 20 minutes. After reviewing the analysis, I realized that people on youtube generally have a short attention span and will not watch a long video, so I started dividing my videos into shorter segments of no more that 5 minutes.  The result has been much more positive feedback. I hope this helps. Happy travels and happy video editing.

Ron    

On 12/11/2018 at 3:59 PM, gretschwhtfalcon said:

Interesting results from your analysis, but I have no desire to do any editing on the Antarctica video. I did create a shorter segment (about 30 minutes I think) that basically features the penguin excursions we did. 

LOL I agree. Don't edit down your fantastic memories simply because of someones 'stats analysis'. Personally I watch plenty of things that are 2 or 3 hours long on You Tube - daily! And plenty of people in my circle of friends do too. 

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎12‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 9:15 PM, PerfectlyPerth said:

LOL I agree. Don't edit down your fantastic memories simply because of someones 'stats analysis'. Personally I watch plenty of things that are 2 or 3 hours long on You Tube - daily! And plenty of people in my circle of friends do too. 

My results with nearly 1200 subscribers and over 1.2 million viewers has been totally different. Most people don't have a 2 or 3 hour attention span. However, if a person wants to preserve their fantastic memories on YouTube that is great.  That is not my purpose of posting videos. I'm trying to provide a thumbnail overview for the masses, not a documentary. Happy Traveling and Viewing!

On ‎12‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 5:01 AM, kaisatsu said:

Most people also aren’t posting their videos and photos to attract a million visitors and copious web traffic! No sense telling someone how to attract more internet attention if they’re not looking for it! 🙂

Social media is "all about sharing information"! That is the whole purpose of Cruise Critic. Obviously, people have different opinions and can choose do what they want with the information. :)

Edited by Cruzer Two

You Tube stopped being "social media" many years ago. It's a video service. It doesn't exist purely for 'the masses with 4 minute attention spans'. Your stats are based on only the people choosing to watch your own videos - not the entire using/viewing audience of You Tube. The majority of us view it on our TVs to watch full length movies and documentaries etc - ie multiple hours long. Hence why I would have utterly no issue watching someones lengthy travel videos when they are in a location that interests me.

Cruzer Two...I've not seen any of your other videos, but it seems your approach to doing a travel video is a bit different than what I do. Your Antarctica video, while very nicely done, consists of the various images set to music, whereas what I did with my longer Antarctica video (and most of what I do during travel) is more like typical home movies, where the audio and video are both of what was happening in the moment, with commentary along the way. Don't know about you, but I have enough trouble remembering what I ate for breakfast 3 days ago, let alone be able to come back to a travel video I created 2 years ago and remember all that I'm seeing without some background explanation. Your approach is probably better to quickly introduce someone to an area you've been to, whereas - as you mentioned - what I'm doing is moreso simply preserving some memories of unique travel experiences on my personal youtube channel (which is mostly geared to presenting my musical creations and projects anyway rather than being any sort of online travelogue). 

• Like 1