Europe flights are finally booked!

CruisingSince2012

After a wait that.tested my patience, my travel agent was finally able to get a great deal on airfare for my vacation dates from the cruise line. The tickets will arrive next week so I don't know all the details yet, but the routes are MCO>AMS>BUD On June 11-12 and PRG>JFK>MCO on June 24. All flights are on Delta except AMS>BUD, which is operated by KLM on the same ticket.

We will have almost 3 hours to do everything (immigraiton, claim bags, customs, recheck bags, change terminals, and TSA Precheck) at JFK, so I probably don't have to worry about missing my flight there. Unfortunately we have a four hour layover in Amsterdam, but that is better than 80 minutes in Frankfurt (which would cost $50 more anyway) for an international flight.

Our next step is exploring a stay at the MCO hotel instead of driving to an off-site motel in Orlando after 11:00 p.m.

Edited by CruisingSince2012

8 hours ago, CruisingSince2012 said:

After a wait that.tested my patience, my travel agent was finally able to get a great deal on airfare for my vacation dates from the cruise line. The tickets will arrive next week so I don't know all the details yet, but the routes are MCO>AMS>BUD On June 11-12 and PRG>JFK>MCO on June 24. All flights are on Delta except AMS>BUD, which is operated by KLM on the same ticket.

We will have almost 3 hours to do everything (immigraiton, claim bags, customs, recheck bags, change terminals, and TSA Precheck) at JFK, so I probably don't have to worry about missing my flight there. Unfortunately we have a four hour layover in Amsterdam, but that is better than 80 minutes in Frankfurt (which would cost $50 more anyway) for an international flight.

Our next step is exploring a stay at the MCO hotel instead of driving to an off-site motel in Orlando after 11:00 p.m.

You wrote, "the tickets will arrive next week". I find this odd as there are not paper tickets any longer. You should be able to access the reservation online immediately with a Record Locator. 

1 hour ago, terry&mike said:

You wrote, "the tickets will arrive next week". I find this odd as there are not paper tickets any longer. You should be able to access the reservation online immediately with a Record Locator. 

I dont know what the problem is, but from what I heard the record locator part apparently is never immediate for the cruise line.

Update: The etravel agent called Mom on Saturday morning to report she can pick up the ticket papers on Monday. Here it is:

Tuesday, June 11

Airline: KLM

MCO Departure: 7:38 p.m.

Wednesday, June 12

AMS Arrival: 10:40 a.m.

AMS Departure: 2:25 p.m.

BUD Arrival: 4:20 p.m.

Monday, June 24

Airline: Delta

PRG Departure: 1:40 p.m.

JFK Arrival: 4:50 p.m.

JFK Departure: 7:29 p.m.

MCO Arrival: 10:46 p.m.

Seats are assigned for all flights except AMS - BUD, which the travel agent said nobody can reserve yet. We can do that later. The document does not specify layover durations, but there is no hurry at JFK.

6 hours ago, CruisingSince2012 said:

The etravel agent called Mom on Saturday morning to report she can pick up the ticket papers on Monday.

There's no such thing as a paper ticket or "ticket papers" any more. The important things to look for are the PNR locator / booking reference, and the ticket number(s) of your tickets (which only ever exist electronically).

The document does not specify layover durations ...

I'm puzzled by this comment. Do these times not clearly set out the connection durations?

Wednesday, June 12

Monday, June 24

I've no idea what your agent is up to but so many aspects of this transaction are beyond bizarre and reinforce my opinion that you unjustly hold this travel agent with some high regard.

Why is she making you pick up "ticket papers" which as Globaliser states no longer exist? IATA airlines haven't issued paper tickets for more than 10yrs!

Providing you with a booking reference by phone, or email with flight details and PNR as soon as the reservation was made (as is the case with every single airline booking I've made for about 20yrs) is the norm. 

8 hours ago, Globaliser said:

I'm puzzled by this comment. Do these times not clearly set out the connection durations?

After all the OP's posts on this process I'm thinking this is a case of "paralysis by analysis".      They have way over thought  this whole thing. 

17 hours ago, CruisingSince2012 said:

Update: The etravel agent called Mom on Saturday morning to report she can pick up the ticket papers on Monday. Here it is:

Tuesday, June 11

MCO Departure: 7:38 p.m.

Wednesday, June 12

BUD Arrival: 4:20 p.m.

Monday, June 24

PRG Departure: 1:40 p.m.

MCO Arrival: 10:46 p.m.

Seats are assigned for all flights except AMS - BUD, which the travel agent said nobody can reserve yet. We can do that later. The document does not specify layover durations, but there is no hurry at JFK.

Your layovers appear pretty clear here...at AMS you have from 1040 to 1425 (beyond plenty of time, even considering immigration and security), and at JFK you have from 1650 to 1929.

Why do people htink just because the travel agent told Mom to pick up a printout of the flight itinerary on Delta's website she's a bad travel agent? That's all it is - the confirmation number, passenger names, flght numbers, itinerary, assigned seats, and aircraft types.

As for not seeing layover times, it should be obvious I was talking about the duration of those connections.

55 minutes ago, CruisingSince2012 said:

Why do people htink just because the travel agent told Mom to pick up a printout of the flight itinerary on Delta's website she's a bad travel agent? That's all it is - the confirmation number, passenger names, flght numbers, itinerary, assigned seats, and aircraft types.

It's just another detail that adds to the very odd way in which the travel agent has been dealing with this whole transaction.

55 minutes ago, CruisingSince2012 said:

As for not seeing layover times, it should be obvious I was talking about the duration of those connections.

The information is that you arrive at AMS at 10.40 am and you depart AMS at 2.25 pm. A 10 year-old should then be able to work out the duration of that connection.

For the avoidance of doubt, the same applies to the inbound connection at JFK.

It is just a personaL preference to have layover durations written on the ticket.

There us nothing odd or bizarre about the way my travel agent does business with my mom. She booked the tickets with an AMA Waterways ticket agnet on a second line, talking to her while keeping that person on hold, to make sure we don't miss outt on the absolute best possible airfare for this trip without a tight layover where we go through immigration, customs, and security before finding the next gate  How is doing that being a bad travel agent?

8 hours ago, CruisingSince2012 said:

It is just a personaL preference to have layover durations written on the ticket.

It's not a ticket, as we keep telling you.

Can you not work it out?

4 hours ago, CruisingSince2012 said:

What is the problem wiht everyone here?

I suspect the problem isn't everyone.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, CruisingSince2012 said:

I think based on the comments of myself and others that it was not exactly obvious. I do understand what you're saying now, but on the flip side the math is fairly straight forward. Do keep in mind that these flights are very far out and the schedule could very well change, so keep on top of that or make sure your travel agent does and alerts you.

That is why I called them ticket papers instead of just tickets.

Maybe try "detailed itinerary" instead of "ticket papers" - slightly more clear that way? 

"Ticket", as a word relative to air travel, is a very specific and highly-regulated term, I think folks are just trying to make sure you understand that these "ticket papers" are in no way a ticket for air travel...apologies for being overly pedantic :classic_blush:

Our last 2 cruises have been cruisetours involving 7 flights each.Our TA posted the itinerary to us,including "etickets".The eticket numbers on the paper are just for reference and all you need at the airport is your passport.Perhaps it's just this one letter that has caused all this splitting hairs,lol.

7 hours ago, brian1 said:

Our last 2 cruises have been cruisetours involving 7 flights each.Our TA posted the itinerary to us,including "etickets".The eticket numbers on the paper are just for reference and all you need at the airport is your passport.Perhaps it's just this one letter that has caused all this splitting hairs,lol.

I will say that I never travel without having the ticket number in my possession somewhere, be it on paper, in an app such as TripIt, or on my phone somewhere. I have had to pull it up a couple of times...not frequently, but when I did, I was glad that I had it.

8 hours ago, brian1 said:

Perhaps for your flights.  First off, for USA domestic flights, there is no need for a passport.  Then, showing your passport might only work IF your flight reservation includes your passport information (which would not be needed for a USA domestic flight) AND your airline system is set up to find reservations by passport number -- not through the usual methods of PNR locator (6 character code) or ticket number (13 digit code).

Ultimately, it is the ticket number that controls your reservation and ticket and your ability to take your flight.  As Zach mentions, that number is the key when you have system problems.  Locators may fail and other systems may prove insufficient, but the ticket number is solid.  And this is especially true for itineraries on multiple airlines, when there may be different locators for each carrier.

But, if it works for you.....what do I know??

15 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

Perhaps for your flights.  First off, for USA domestic flights, there is no need for a passport.  Then, showing your passport might only work IF your flight reservation includes your passport information (which would not be needed for a USA domestic flight) AND your airline system is set up to find reservations by passport number -- not through the usual methods of PNR locator (6 character code) or ticket number (13 digit code).

Ultimately, it is the ticket number that controls your reservation and ticket and your ability to take your flight.  As Zach mentions, that number is the key when you have system problems.  Locators may fail and other systems may prove insufficient, but the ticket number is solid.  And this is especially true for itineraries on multiple airlines, when there may be different locators for each carrier.

OK,I'll rephrase that,passport and eticket printout to hand.Which we always do anyway.Our flights were not US.What was all the fuss then,when the OP said she had to collect tickets when people are saying she had to carry a hard copy of the etickets.What's an e amongst friends,lol.

2 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

Not to mention, should you ever need to be put on a different airline due to airline/system issues, the ticket number is the thing the airline needs to get your transferred over. Again, the odds of this happening are small, but when it happens...you'll wish you had the ticket number because it will expedite things and make both you and the ticketing agent happy. And a happy ticketing agent increases your chances of a happy re-route 🙂