First time on Seabourn - Patagonia and Antartica

russianrex

Hi. We will heading off on our first ever Seabourn cruise in just a few weeks. It's the 31 night Patagonia and Antarctica cruise departing Lima on November 19.

We have read some blogs from previous Antarctic cruisers and have been in contact with others who have previously done this sailing. However, we would be most appreciative of any advice/tips to make this adventure smooth sailing. 😊

Any must see/do activities in port? Any packing insights? (have I overlooked anything????!)

Any guidance gratefully appreciated. Thank you.

Hello:  We will be traveling with you, having boarded in Miami.  This is how we are preparing, based on recommendations from friends who have sailed this route before:  We will receive parkas from Seabourn.  We are bringing hats and gloves.  We've rented boots that will pass the Antarctica requirements.  We bought waterproof coverall pants and collapsable poles that will assist in walking on the ice.  The Seabourn sponsored kayak excursions on Antarctic days are recommended, and we are thinking about that.  Hope this helps.

15 minutes ago, tv24 said:

Hello:  We will be traveling with you, having boarded in Miami. 

Looking forward to travelling with you tv24. 😊 We have booked a kayak trip for one of our Antarctic days, and have rented our boots and parka. The waterproof overpants are on the list too. I think my luggage will be bursting at the seams packing for both summer and winter! 

I was on the Quest over Christmas/New Year 2017-2018 and recommend the following -

The Seabourn-provided parka and shell/puffer jacket/beanie are excellent.  No need to duplicate them by bringing your own. The wellington boots which you rent from the ship are outstanding.  Apart from regular stuff, you will need to bring waterproof over-trousers, thin liner socks and thick over-socks, thin liner gloves and thick outer gloves.  A merino wool sweater is also useful.  When I went ashore in the coldest condition I wore a thermal long-sleeved vest, merino sweater, shell/puffer jacket and parka.  I never bothered with neck gaiters or scarves and such like.  Below the belt I tended to wear thermal 'long johns', denim jeans underneath my waterproofs. On our trip it was surprisingly mild so I often dispensed with one or more of these layers.  NB: The waterproof over-trousers are really vital for wet-landings and you also get hosed down when you get back on the ship.

DSC_0262.jpg

Edited by Fletcher

1 hour ago, Fletcher said:

NB: The waterproof over-trousers are really vital for wet-landings and you also get hosed down when you get back on the ship.

Oh my goodness! I wasn't aware of a "hose down"! I better make sure my overpants are heavy duty. LOL

A follow-up re pants — yes, waterproof  pants are a must. Also, be sure that your pants have zips at the ankles, so you can easily get your knee-high waterproof boots on/off. The boots are the last item you don before boarding a zodiac, and the first you remove when you return — you can’t wear the boots from/to your suite (to protect carpets from penguin poo). Even if you bring your own boots, you will have to store them in an outdoor locker on Deck 5. 

russianrex, My husband and I were on Seabourn's January 2017 Antarctica voyage, and it still remains our all-time favorite trip! We found that the clothing recommendations from the Seabourn-recommended shiptoshoretraveler.com were extremely helpful. The Quest also has a shop on board with Antarctica gear, in case you lose or forget to pack something. I have blog posts with stories and photos from every port, which you might find helpful, including this one with some clothing information:

https://www.themodernpostcard.com/antarctica-day-1-half-moon-island-chinstrap-penguins/

It's the most wonderful journey, and you're sure to have a fabulous time!
Mary

Travel Blog: www.themodernpostcard.com

Besides Antartica, one of the best tour I've ever taken was the full day excursion to Patagonia and Torres del Paine National Park.

A  flight to  and from Patagonia and a bus tour of Torres del Paine National Park with stunning scenery and wildlife with lunch at a lodge on a lake with view of Fitz Roy-Cerro Torre Peaks.  It may look pricey, but worth it.

Enjoy your cruise, it's a incredible experience you will never forget.

On 10/22/2018 at 2:58 AM, maryogreen said:

It's the most wonderful journey, and you're sure to have a fabulous time!
Mary

Travel Blog: www.themodernpostcard.com

Thank you so much for the link. Very helpful. 

Just one more (silly) question. I read that the Seabourn parka and inner jacket will be delivered to your room when you board the ship. As we are beginning the cruise in Lima, rather than Santiago, will this be delivered only at the start of the Antarctic leg? or in Lima? (I am just trying to minimise "doubling up" of clothing!) Thanks.

The parkas and puffer jackets were distributed before we reached Punta Arenas, so must have been aboard from Santiago.  They are delivered to your cabin and if they don't fit there is a 'swap' event when you can find a jacket that does fit.  Ditto for the boots and I think they came aboard at Ushuaia. Here's a photo from Christmas Day before we got to Punta Arenas and you can see orange parkas came in handy . . . 

DSC_0098.jpg