Flight connection time - Be Aware

G2G

For our recent 11 night cruise on board Pursuit we had booked flights with Azamara. The initial flights with Air Brussels were changed to Lufthansa, I queried this and was told the original flights were full. The new flights were much later and didn't leave Venice until 8PM, I asked for an earlier flight and at a cost of £70 extra each this was arranged.

The connection time on the first leg was a mere 55 minutes and the first flight was slightly delayed. On arrival from the Uk pax have to go through passport control and security again and the lines were HUGE. I asked  a very kind security if we could go through quicker and she let us.  However we then had to get over to the next terminal and it is quite a distance and 6 flights of stairs are also involved. I as a relatively fit 62 year old ran the whole way, made it to the gate, which was closing and begged them to wait for my asthmatic friend and fortunately they did.

During the cruise I spoke to the Concierge and told him of the difficulties and my concern as we faced a repeat of the time constraint on the return flights. I asked if it was possible to have a priority pass through security, he said there wasn't any such facility available. I asked if he would contact Miami to see if they could alter our flights so that we had a longer lay over, their response was that "they were unprepared to make any changes as the lay over time was the legal amount needed."

I was very disappointed and couldn't believe that they thought the transfer time was sufficient, it certainly wouldn't be if you had any injury or disability. I checked alternative flights myself and lo and behold, there was availability on the Brussels Air flight which I booked at a cost of £70 each.

I have sailed with Azamara many times and have utilised their flights on a number of occasions, but I have never had such tight transfer windows. On my return on the 10th October I wrote to Mr Twynam and also to Miami and the response to date has been a standard we have received your correspondence from Miami and nothing from the UK office.

I know there will be a number of you who will say I should have realised that the transfer window was too tight and it would be difficult, I did query it at the time. I want people to be aware that Miami and therefore Azamara, considers 55 minutes sufficient to transfer through Frankfurt, which is one of Europe's busiest airports. 

The cruise was wonderful, but the response from Miami has left me reconsidering my future travel plans.

I used to always book the cruise line's ( not just Azamara) package of flights, transfers and cruise, but got fed up with being fobbed off with inconvenient flight times, especially  late flights after the cruise (when you have had disembarked at 9a.m.) and being told I can't fly from my local airport even when I know that there are suitable flights available.

I now use a travel agent with an ATOL licence who can provide me with the flights I want from my local airport and private transfers (no hanging around waiting for other passengers to get on the coach).  This is  usually at a lower cost than taking the cruise line's package

This is an area that Azamara have gone downhill a lot over time.  They made a big effort three or four years ago to provide good service for flights on  their cruises.  I remember the previous CBO posting about these efforts to put guests back in control of their flights.  Included were overnight stays in hotels so the times were at least "friendly".  I think the cost of it just got prohibitive so they now do it on the cheap.  I have no desire for this so book all my own flights now wherever possible.

Phil

Edited by excitedofharpenden

I always book my own flights.  Airline schedules that clearly show connection times are easy to use online.  (I use ITA Software/Google flights.) Technology makes it possible for me to contact airlines to quickly make changes, should they be needed.  The stress of making (or missing) a tight connection is neither a great beginning nor a great end to a great cruise. 

It was the first time in a number of years that I have taken a cruise lines flights, I usually like to spend extra time at the destination and also have preferred airlines. I went with Azamara's flight this time as I had visited both Athens and Venice on a number of occasions. I have learnt my lesson and hopefully other people will learn from my mistake.

2 hours ago, G2G said:

It was the first time in a number of years that I have taken a cruise lines flights, I usually like to spend extra time at the destination and also have preferred airlines. I went with Azamara's flight this time as I had visited both Athens and Venice on a number of occasions. I have learnt my lesson and hopefully other people will learn from my mistake.

It’s good you highlighted it for others.  

Phil

Thank you for your story.

One thing that I've discovered is that you aren't limited to the flights that Choice Air initially offers. I look at their offerings, which almost always include a 1:50 international connection at Heathrow (!!!!!!!) and then look on Google Flights to find a more reasonable connection. I've never had an issue with picking my own itinerary and have gotten the same or very close to price that they offer online. But I've only done it a couple of times, so perhaps it's just dumb luck that it worked out.

I would only book through Choice Air (which is the agency for Azamara, Royal Caribbean and Celebrity) if the price difference were compelling. It usually isn't.

The OP is in the UK where we do not have Choice Air.  My experience is that the options offered by the cruise line are far fewer than offered through Choice Airt.  It is good this was highlighted by the OP, though unless I am doing a one way trip (e.g. a transatlantic) and have no points to spare I do not use Azamara for flights.  OK I have some of the work to do aligning transfers, hotels etc but I feel happier being in control.

It is a pity there is not a better flight offering for non US guests but we are all getting adept at working round it all so we can stay with our favourite line

OP - Appreciate your input.

There used to be comfort in cruise line booking air passage. Not anymore. 

OP's scenario happened to us ( albeit with Disney). No more airport running, with small children. 

We now plan, and book, ourselves. 

I do not understand how can flights be offered in Frankfurt or Heathrow who do not allow more than two hours for transfers. I had a discussion recently with our travel agent who insisted that 45 minutes time in Frankfurt was enough for a transfer. Having been in Frankfurt several times, I knew this was not feasible unless you only have a carry on and are very fit to run to the other departure gate. She asked Lufthansa, who also said the transfer time was enough. No way. We have changed it to allow two hours time and it was good so. 

Be careful also when booking online. I have recently booked a flight via Heathrow and the online agency offered me transfer times of less than two hours. In Heathrow this would be too risky. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Agree with travelberlin. We've learned by experience that you need no less than 2 hours for connecting flights at Heathrow or Frankfort. In fact , we try to avoid connecting at those airports if possible.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Tondakea said:

OP - Appreciate your input.

There used to be comfort in cruise line booking air passage. Not anymore. 

OP's scenario happened to us ( albeit with Disney). No more airport running, with small children. 

We now plan, and book, ourselves. 

Thank you. 🙂

Interesting read.  We are booked on the Journey in May. The Choice airfares offered for the multi city destinations are half what I can find elsewhere. We have used Choice air and Princess air in the past and have been satisfied.  Airfares are going up for sure.

I've found this thread very interesting as I did not know that the flight options for our friends across the pond were so limited when booking with the cruise line if you want their flights. As others have stated with Choice Air we can pick our flights even if they don't show up as long as you call. Although it still does offer you those very short connections. For our cruise in Europe next summer one option had just over an hour to transfer in Paris. No way that is possible in my experience.

Edited by prim8keeper