Charter flight from Rekjavik to Greenland

RobC1116

We're booked on the Silver Cloud Expedition, Kangerlussuaq to Kangerlussuaq, on August 26, 2019. We're going a couple of days early and booking our own hotel--much cheaper than the ones Silversea offers. I'm assuming the charter flight to Greenland flies out of and into Keflavik, but does anyone know for sure? My travel agent seems a little vague. We're planning on spending one night in Reykjavik on the return as our flight home is in the morning on Sept 12 (cruise returns on the 11th). If the flight is to Keflavik, we'll just stay in a hotel near the airport. Thanks!

This was discussed within the past year on these boards, but the search index isn't complete yet so I cannot find the thread. To make matters worse, I can't remember which airport it ended up being! Once the index is complete, have a search for the thread and I think the answer is there. Or hopefully someone else remembers. 

Edited to add: Found it! Had to use the Windows search for "charter" on each page but it's buried on page 9. Looks like the pre-departure consensus was KEF but hopefully the OP on that thread will answer for sure, as her cruise was last month.

Edited by jpalbny
add link

• 5 months later...

Hi again Faux Nom,

If you can still see this thread, I have one more question about the charter flight from KEF to Greenland. Do you recall how/when you were informed about the flight time? Because we're coming to Reykjavik a few days before our cruise and staying in a hotel we booked ourselves, we will have to make our way on our own to KEF at the appropriate time. Thanks!

On ‎4‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 7:30 AM, RobC1116 said:

Hi again Faux Nom,

If you can still see this thread, I have one more question about the charter flight from KEF to Greenland. Do you recall how/when you were informed about the flight time? Because we're coming to Reykjavik a few days before our cruise and staying in a hotel we booked ourselves, we will have to make our way on our own to KEF at the appropriate time. Thanks!

That info should be included in your silver box.  At least it always has been when we have had charter flights on Silversea.

Hello,

We were on the  Kangerlussuaq to St John’s cruise last Sept.  Our charter flight left from KEF around noon.  Flight was a couple of hours, if I recall.  The disembarking passengers were waiting at the Kangerlussuag airport to return to KEF.  

There was no food service, just snacks, on the flight.  Recommended you have a substantial breakfast because you will not have a chance to eat again until you are on the Cloud.

We were taken by bus (school bus, not a coach) to the dock.  Embarkation is via Zodiac so dress warmly!  It was just about 40F and raining.  Not a long trip, but many people were not prepared.  And, you won’t get your polar parka until once on board.  

Advice on what to pack - good rain/wind pants are essential.  Waterproof gloves recommended.  Good thermal socks as well.  We took trekking poles and found them useful especially for the walks we did.  If your hands and feet get cold easily, bring hand/foot warmers to slip into your gloves and boots.  

Our cruise was amazing.  Right up there as one of the best ever.  Enjoy! 

On 4/2/2019 at 5:30 AM, RobC1116 said:

Hi again Faux Nom,

Hi Rob--sorry I missed your question, but the post just above gave the answer I would have. Staying independently the night before worked well for us; turns out the people who did the company-provided transfers had various mixups and delays, so some of them were a bit grumpy. You should have plenty of time to get to the airport, but don't go hungry! I hope you have a great trip, as we did!

• 2 weeks later...

I do have some information that might be of interest.  We're on the following cruise on the Cloud this September 11, leaving from Kangerlussuaq going to Quebec City.  According to the flight/transfer info on "My Silverseas", we are flying into Reykjavik (Silverseas flights) arriving on Sept. 10, staying overnight (because of timing issues), then flying out on Sept 11 going to Kangerlussuaq.  The flight info did not provide departure or arrival times for the Charter, so I can't help there, but since this is all on Silverseas I assume (yes, I know) that timings will be fine.  

2fromTo:  Thanks for the heads-up about the Zodiac transfer to the ship.  I knew about not getting the parka until getting on the ship so planned to have  "warm enough" clothing for Reykjavik, but hadn't thought that we'd have a Zodiac trip to embark.  Did you wear your waterproof pants on this leg, or wasn't it necessary, as in they drove slow enough that spray wasn't an issue?

We're looking forward to our cruise.  We did an expedition cruise on the Silver Discoverer last May that was fantastic (Circle New Guinea) though hot weather everywhere eliminated any concerns about hopping of the Zodiac to land, and are looking forward to another one, though this is on the Cloud.  We've already done expedition Antarctica (Explorer II), which is one of my most favorite trips ever, and am curious as to how different the Arctic region will be.

• 1 month later...

Does anyone have their charter flight information for this cruise yet?  As it’s now less than 80 days until departure, I would hope that Silversea would let people know, especially those making their own flight and hotel arrangements.