HELP: HAL marketing emails & mailings ~ I don’t receive ...

Dogstar

How do I kickstart HAL’s marketing processes, please?  I would like to receive regular communications, announcements, promotional emails, enticing flyers, etc. Despite my periodically verifying & refreshing the various marketing preferences, including via online selections, assistance of a HAL Mariner Society agent & my HAL PCC, all of whom confirm that the HAL marketing “system” reflects my selections, correct postal & email addresses, I still receive nothing. 

Well, almost nothing. I do receive vaguely periodic HAL’s European destination itineraries marketing flyers (postal mail) ... which I do not want, & have specifically unchecked.  I did receive a HAL Mariner Society announcement email way back in April 2018.  But otherwise still no promotional emails, flyers (for non-Europe destinations), etc.  Nada. 

Frustrating since I receive very regular communications, both electronic & hardcopy, from other cruises lines, including within the Carnival Family. Just not the cruise line we’re still currently keen with, HAL. 

I sometimes wonder if it’s because there’s less desire by HAL to promote to Canadians, then brush that silliness aside when I see reports that other Canadian CC HAL adventurers regularly receive HAL marketing communications.. Is it because I already have a future HAL cruise reservation on the books?  Nah, that’d be silly for HAL to negate the opportunity to sell me another future cruise or two, too.

Anybody else experience this marketing cold shoulder?  Offer suggestions to correct it?

Please & thank you. 

Cheers. Dogstar. 

We are Americans.  For years while we were still cruising on HAL, we got nothing from HAL -- no e-mails or regular mail promoting anything.

Now we haven't been on a HAL ship in a couple of years and we now get e-mails and regular mail all the time.

Sorry I don't have a solution to your problem.

2 hours ago, Dogstar said:

.  Is it because I already have a future HAL cruise reservation on the books?  Nah, that’d be silly for HAL to negate the opportunity to sell me another future cruise or two, too.

Anybody else experience this marketing cold shoulder?  Offer suggestions to correct it?

Please & thank you. 

Cheers. Dogstar. 

I'd made a couple of calls and the Mariner person said as KK mentioned they stop all marketing once you book a cruise.  I got the same story on a second call and this person tried to adjust electronic mailings from her end, but she wasn't successful.

We still get surface mail stuff which doesn't help as we're LONG range planners.  As I remember though, the specially priced cruises directed at postal codes were usually for last minute cruises.  But in our early sporadic days of sailing we snagged one attractive deal.

Ruth

I had this issue, I called and they explained that I had a cruise booked and they stop marketing emails.  I requested that they send me marketing materials as I book cruises far in advance to accommodate my wife's work scheduling issues.  They turned the emails back on, but after I booked a new cruise the emails ended and I had to call again, not a big deal.

Same here.  Whenever I don’t have a cruise booked the marketing kicks back in.  In the meantime, Cunard is going nuts with their marketing so I may end up back with them since HAL doesn’t send anything anymore.  It’s a bit baffling, to be honest, because HAL’s is the only marketing information I’d like to receive.  🤔

call Mariner Society, they can get your name "re-added" to email and snail mail lists.

this happens to us periodically, with no rhyme or reason - could have 3 cruises booked or none - we seem to get dropped every so often from HAL promotional advertising..  Could possibly be a timing/expiry issue.

Carol

On 10/20/2018 at 7:20 AM, Krazy Kruizers said:

For years while we were still cruising on HAL, we got nothing from HAL -- no e-mails or regular mail promoting anything ... Now we haven't been on a HAL ship in a couple of years and we now get e-mails and regular mail all the time.

On 10/20/2018 at 8:18 AM, Been There, Planning That said:

... they stop all marketing once you book a cruise.  I got the same story on a second call and this person tried to adjust electronic mailings from her end, but she wasn't successful.

21 hours ago, MikeD4134 said:

I had this issue, I called and they explained that I had a cruise booked and they stop marketing emails.  I requested that they send me marketing materials as I book cruises far in advance to accommodate my wife's work scheduling issues.  They turned the emails back on, but after I booked a new cruise the emails ended and I had to call again, not a big deal.

20 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

Same here.  Whenever I don’t have a cruise booked the marketing kicks back in. 

19 hours ago, CJcruzer said:

... this happens to us periodically, with no rhyme or reason - could have 3 cruises booked or none - we seem to get dropped every so often from HAL promotional advertising..  Could possibly be a timing/expiry issue.

18 hours ago, CherryG said:

I'm in Canada, and get all the time, both email and flyers/brochures in the mail.

As always thank everyone for your helpful replies. Glad to know it’s not just me or a country-specific issue. Definitely appears to be HAL’s marketing system being turned “off” once one has a reservation on the books. Definitely short-sighted on HAL’s part, IMHO, since many folks are long range planners &/or may be interested in more than just one itinerary/reservation at a time. 

I will phone the HAL Mariner Society again to see if they can jumpstart the flow of marketing emails etc.  If not maybe they’ll auto-resume after our upcoming December 2018 cruise (which we booked in 2016).  I hope so since my eyes & budget are focussed next on a surprise “special occasion” cruise in 2021 ... don’t tell Mrs. Dogstar. 🤫 

Hmmm, will placing a HAL Future Cruise Credit towards a HAL Future Dam Reservation thereby cancel the flow of HAL marketing again? I guess we’ll soon find out. 

Cheers. Dogstar. 

34 minutes ago, Dogstar said:

As always thank everyone for your helpful replies. Glad to know it’s not just me or a country-specific issue. Definitely appears to be HAL’s marketing system being turned “off” once one has a reservation on the books. Definitely short-sighted on HAL’s part, IMHO, since many folks are long range planners &/or may be interested in more than just one itinerary/reservation at a time. 

I will phone the HAL Mariner Society again to see if they can jumpstart the flow of marketing emails etc.  If not maybe they’ll auto-resume after our upcoming December 2018 cruise (which we booked in 2016).  I hope so since my eyes & budget are focussed next on a surprise “special occasion” cruise in 2021 ... don’t tell Mrs. Dogstar. 🤫 

Hmmm, will placing a HAL Future Cruise Credit towards a HAL Future Dam Reservation thereby cancel the flow of HAL marketing again? I guess we’ll soon find out. 

Cheers. Dogstar. 

If you buy a Future Cruise Credit, it doesn't affect the marketing.  But, once you apply it on a cruise, it does in my experience.

So I just looked through last week’s snail mail and there were two promo brochures.  One to my husband promoting the Prinsendam’s last sailings and one to me for Explore 4, which I am not interested in.  I can’t remember the last time I received an email though. 

On 10/21/2018 at 12:33 PM, kazu said:

Oops, lost the exact quote from Kazu about calling Mariner Society.  I did and the person to whom I spoke put me on hold while she searched for the 'button to push'.  When she came back she explained that a different 'button pusher' is in charge, meaning she could no longer do this without Emailing someone else.  And this in the name of efficiency!

She seemed knowledgeable and assured me the Email was in progress to the correct person.

I'm known as a great 'button pusher' on the home front!!  I think I'll apply for the position at HAL.  But she did assure me that both Bob and I will have our buttons pushed, as in the past he has rec'd different offers than I.

Ruth

Edited by Been There, Planning That
clarity