Serenade of the “C’s” I Mean “I’s” – Ice Bergs, Iceland, Ice Caps and Ice Cream

On ‎12‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 11:33 AM, ecslady said:

Come check out the roll call  if you haven't.

Just a heads up on the roll call.  We got a lot of good tips on tours on our roll call so make sure you check it out.

Jack

• Like 1

This is the base pond for Strokkur - the main active geyser in the three square kilometer geothermal area.  The largest geyser is Geysir which is currently inactive.  When active is shot water up over 500 feet into the air. Geysir was where we derived our name "geyser."  Geysir is reputed to be the first geyser witnessed by Europeans and was first recorded in 1204.  Notice that there are no protective railings around the sinkhole.

32696862038_a7b712abb8_o.jpg

This is Storkkur erupting.  The plume of steam and water reaches between 90 and 120 feet and erupts every 8 to 10 minutes.

45846518794_8ac645b12d_o.jpg

31629475497_1ba5307afe_o.jpg

After viewing a few eruptions of Stokkur we had lunch at the Kantina.  The main course was Icelandic Salmon and was delicious. The place had seating for literally hundreds of patrons and included a huge souvenir shop.  Good place to dine and shop. Lunch was included in the tour, but not the shopping.:classic_biggrin:

46519609742_1e6da3fdb6_o.jpg

• Like 1

On ‎12‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 8:20 AM, BigNance said:

There were likely no women architects on that design team.............

A possibility.:classic_biggrin:  But this may have also been designed before the big boom in Icelandic tourism.  According to several travel websites, Iceland is THE place to visit.

On ‎12‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 2:49 PM, lakelorain said:

I was on there that day. There were also restrooms on another floor with multiple stalls.  No wait.

Interesting.  You would have thought that they would have posted a notice to that effect.  The line on the main floor was so long several of our companions opted to wait for the next stop - about an hour or so away.  You can imagine the rush to get off the bus when we got there.

The next stop on the Golden Circle tour is the Gullfoss Waterfall. While not the Niagara Falls, it was nonetheless magnificient in its power. The steps leading down to the valley were quite good, but once down on the rocky perimeter the footing is quite treacherous.  A number of people (including yours truly) slipped and fell climbing up the rocky incline to get the "perfect" photo.

44782338110_3ced545b78_k.jpg

The falls are on the Hvita River - and is fed from the ice sheet and glacier.

32726055808_b47b1f7364_k.jpg

Nearly 5,000 cubit feet of water a second fall over the two stage water fall.

32726055808_b47b1f7364_k.jpg

On 12/17/2018 at 1:41 PM, stevea36 said:

RCI Just released the 2020 version of this trip.   It will be on Brilliance of the Seas, 15 nights, from Amsterdam to Boston, Leaving on September 2, 2020.

You will not regret the balcony. I took a similar transatlantic (and back!) cruise on Holland America and spent a lot of time enjoying the views. Gerainger is perhaps my favorite port of all time. Absolutely stunning. If they offer it, I highly recommend a trip up to Mt. Dalsnibba. Amazing views up top and on the way. Prins Christian Sound was another favorite.

SailorJack, this is the first review I've run across of yours (and as others have attested, I'm missing out!), and I cannot tell you how many times I laughed out loud (or downright gaffawed) reading your excellent trip report. You should think about professional comedy! No, never mind, let's keep you here. :classic_biggrin:

Off to find some other trips of yours.

On the way to our next stop on the Golden Circle we pass a number of farms that are heated by the steam coming out of the earth.  This farmer has build a small enclosure around the fissure in the earth and has harnessed the steam.

39666621363_f7e269e0bb_o.jpg

.We also pass Thingvallavatn - the largest natural lake in Iceland - with an area of 84 square kilometers and a depth of 114 meters

46579235152_483f2bed1f_o.jpg

Our first view of the rift valley - with a waterfall thrown in for good measure.

39666621103_c5de44b29e_o.jpg

• Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 3:02 PM, FromSea2ShiningSea said:

Sailor Jack,

What was the dates of this cruise?  Tried looking for the roll call but had problem finding it.

Thanks,

Helen

Sorry to take so long, I had to dig through my files to find the actual date.  The ship left Copenhagen on August 26.

Jack

7 hours ago, SailorJack said:

Sorry to take so long, I had to dig through my files to find the actual date.  The ship left Copenhagen on August 26.

Jack

Got it!  Thank you for that, Jack.  It is a lot to read (91 pages!) but I look forward to getting some good tips.    

I have really enjoyed your review and photos.  Thanks again!

On ‎1‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 9:44 AM, Saltdog said:

SailorJack, this is the first review I've run across of yours (and as others have attested, I'm missing out!), and I cannot tell you how many times I laughed out loud (or downright gaffawed) reading your excellent trip report. You should think about professional comedy! No, never mind, let's keep you here. :classic_biggrin:

Off to find some other trips of yours.

Glad you enjoyed it.  Very kind words indeed. Links to my other reviews are in my signature - hope you find them enjoyable as well.

Jack

Edited by SailorJack

On ‎1‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 9:50 PM, FromSea2ShiningSea said:

Got it!  Thank you for that, Jack.  It is a lot to read (91 pages!) but I look forward to getting some good tips.    

I have really enjoyed your review and photos.  Thanks again!

You're welcome.

Glad you liked the photos  - I know you will enjoy seeing them in person even more.  Have a great cruise!

Jack

Our guide liked to use the phrase "where history meets nature" in describing this national park.  That is because the flagpole marks the spot where, in 920, democracy first came to the western world.  It was here, in 920, that the first parliament in Iceland was located.  Parliament continued to meet here until 1798 - nearly 900 years!

31760508987_e7c13153c5_o.jpg

Our Golden Circle tour almost at an end, we head for our bus and pass a nice little waterfall. This was an amazing stop and a nice way to end our tour.

46701810761_1a08be5a7e_o.jpg

A Zen moment.:classic_biggrin:

32826982848_51e59d1439_o.jpg

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Baatman said:

Looks like a great tour.  If you don't mind my asking, what was the fee for the tour?

It is a really good tour - gives you a real feeling about Iceland's attractions.  But for the life of me I don't remember how much it cost.  I had a boatload (no pun intended) of OBC so used some of it for the ship's tour. Ergo, no credit card statements to refer to. I think it may have been somewhere between $150 and $200, but just don't remember.  :classic_sad:

Jack