Serenade of the “C’s” I Mean “I’s” – Ice Bergs, Iceland, Ice Caps and Ice Cream

The Lerwick Town Hall - stone of course.  As another example of the openness of the town the Town Hall is open to all visitors.  In fact the sign outside actually invites visitors to come in to look at the building - at no cost of course. The Hall was completed in 1884 and sits on the highest point in town. It is a popular venue for marriages, concerts and wedding receptions.

46176293861_b6ec04c8c5_o.jpg

The building was replete with beautiful stained glass windows.

46125360292_db9f4673f0_o.jpg

The room where the town does its business. The  Hall was completely open  - there were no restrictions. Don't know what would have happened if the council had been in session, but we enjoyed the visit.

46176296571_8019439b25_o.jpg

• Like 1

Sailor Jack,

Haven't been on CC for awhile and have just now found your latest adventure. Haven't had a chance to read it yet. I'm sure it will be terrific as always!

(Boy, has the interface here changed since last time I was here. I'm totally lost...)

8 hours ago, Jasperdo said:

Sailor Jack,

Haven't been on CC for awhile and have just now found your latest adventure. Haven't had a chance to read it yet. I'm sure it will be terrific as always!

(Boy, has the interface here changed since last time I was here. I'm totally lost...)

Welcome back to CC.:classic_biggrin: The interface has changed dramatically.  I am now just getting use to it but still cannot figure out how to edit a post after previewing it. I guess I will figure it out eventually.

Hope you like the review.

Jack

At the tourist kiosk near the pier, we were given a map of Lerwick which included several recommended hikes of various lengths.  We decided to take a one mile hike to see Clickimin Broch - one of the top tourist attractions in Lerwick.

The hiking path skirted the border and was inside the rock wall you can see in the background.  It was an easy walk and the scenery around every bend was delightful.

46206892961_8767e4c275_o.jpg

We have arrived at Clickimin Loch. 

46206885841_503afa7f7b_o.jpg

Believed to have been first settled in the 7th Centrury BC, it probably started out as a farm with the rock walls keeping in the livestock.  It was built inside Clickimin Loch and probably had some form of drawbridge to the mainland.

46156262672_3ce91d7c4e_o.jpg

• Like 1

19 hours ago, flamingos said:

Thanks for the new photos!  I am waiting anxiously for next week when they release the 2020 cruise.  

Hope it has your itinerary.   I just got today Viking Ocean's 2020 schedule and they are not doing the TA this year from Bergan to the USA with stops in Iceland and Greenland.  They are still visiting those ports but now they are round trips from Bergan.

Batter luck with RCI.

Jack

• Like 1

On 12/13/2018 at 2:00 PM, SailorJack said:

We are off to Hawaii for a 15 day roundtrip out of LA in early February.  Looking forward to getting out of the cold!:classic_biggrin:

We did that trip last year, except we left from San Francisco.  Be prepared for the first couple sea days to be cool, and seas a little rough.  Most people don’t realize that, thinking warm in CA, warm in HI, and they forget cool weather clothes. 

It willbe the same on the return trip. 

On ‎12‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 1:39 PM, BigNance said:

Looking forward to THAT review!!! 

I'm guessing there will be hula skirts and coconuts in the 'screen saver'???

LOL:classic_biggrin:  I forgot about that one.  I'll have to go back and see if I still have it!:classic_laugh:

Jack

RCI Just released the 2020 version of this trip.   It will be on Brilliance of the Seas, 15 nights, from Amsterdam to Boston, Leaving on September 2, 2020.

Itinerary is:

Amsterdam

Sea

Bergen, Norway

Geiranger, Norway, Sea

Akureyri, Iceland

Reykjavik, Iceland (overnight)

Sea

Cruise Prins Christian Sound

Qaqortoq, Greenland

Nuuk, Greenland

Sea

Sea

Sea

Boston.

I was able to book a 2B Hump balcony this morning, with a refundable deposit, for 3852 pp (less any C&A Discount you may have).   This compares to over $8000 pp for the lone remaining balcony on the 2019 version.

Sailor, how does this itinerary compare to yours?   Dropping canada is no biggie for me as I will be doing a canada/ne cruise in October 2019.

My biggest issue is that I will need 16 nights to get to Diamond and their changing this to 15 is "forcing" me to take another cruise.  (maybe I can talk the DW into doing an 8 night in a JS to get us Diamond before this sailing 🙂 )

Steve

BOOKED for 2020!!!!    Brilliance of the Seas, sailing September 2.

AMSTERDAM, NETHERLANDS

CRUISING

BERGEN, NORWAY

GEIRANGER, NORWAY

CRUISING

AKUREYRI, ICELAND

REYKJAVIK, ICELAND

REYKJAVIK, ICELAND

CRUISING PRINS

CHRISTIAN SUND(CRUISE)

QAQORTOQ, GREENLAND

NUUK, GREENLAND