Serenade of the “C’s” I Mean “I’s” – Ice Bergs, Iceland, Ice Caps and Ice Cream

On ‎3‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 12:54 PM, SailorJack said:

LOL...We are the Island Princess for an epic 30 day cruise from Rome to Abu Dhabi. Are you on that one?

Jack

Sadly, no. Sounds like a great cruise though. We are doing a Med cruise this summer.

The Wentworth park area had a unique history.  Markers were placed around the area that is now the park and villagers were forbidden to cut down the trees as they were being saved to use as masts on His Majesty's ships.

DSC_5373.jpg

The lake had a nice walking path around it  - it made for a nice stroll.

IMG_0471.jpg

Also a very nice cupola area.  Here a couple were having a picnic,

IMG_0472%202.jpg

This is Cosit House - built in 1787 and turned into a museum depicting life over 200 years ago.

DSC_5381%202.jpg

Each of the major rooms - like this kitchen - had a docent explaining how the room was used.  Really kind of interesting.

IMG_0487.jpg

A spare bedroom?

IMG_0488.jpg

A small eating area.

IMG_0479.jpg

Outside, tour guides in period costume talk about life in the village 200 years ago.

DSC_5384.jpg

This is St. Patrick's Church  -the oldest Roman Catholic one in Cape Breton - dating to 1828.  It was actually pretty small but had a really unique feature.

DSC_5389.jpg

The roof is actually the bottom of a boat.  Carpenters laid down the keel of a boat and then turned it upside down to make a roof for the church!

DSC_5390.jpg

A last look at the Sydney harbor and boardwalk as we sail for Halifax, Nova Scotia.

DSC_5392.jpg

• Like 2

Our first view of the Halifax harbor.  As a Western Canadian, Halifax has been on my bucket list to visit and this cruise has made that possible.

DSC_5395.jpg

Obviously, a prime location for homes.

DSC_5396.jpg

Around a million dollars?

DSC_5405.jpg

Halifax harbor.  A lot of history here.  It was a major immigration port for Canada - sort of our Ellis Island.  It was in this harbor that the great convoys were formed to take supplies to England and Russia during WWII.  And it was in this harbor that the greatest man made non nuclear explosion occurred  -also in WWII.

DSC_5407.jpg[/URL

Our first view of downtown Halifax - a very pretty city.

DSC_5409.jpg

Looks like the Norwegian Dawn beat us in.  But Halifax is big enough to easily handle two ships.  We did not encounter any crowds anywhere.

DSC_5412.jpg

Downtown Halifax.

DSC_5425.jpg

No idea what this was.  As we pulled up next to it people joked that it was the ship equivalent of jetway and we would use it to get off the ship.:classic_smile:

DSC_5423.jpg

I think this is the Angus McDonald Bridge  -also known as Old Bridge.  It was built in 1955 and New Bridge was built in 1970. A third bridge is under consideration.

DSC_5422.jpg

I had a hard time finding  you, Sailor Jack!

There’s another guy with your screen name who joined in ‘13 and then nothing. 

I would love to read your “riding camels and walking like an Egyptian” review again, because it makes me laugh like a loon. 

Is there a way to dig deep and find your old reviews? I wish you’d publish them and make the world a happier place!

9 minutes ago, truffles2 said:

Expand his signature and there are links to his reviews.

I’ll have to go on the pc to see his signature. 

I’m usually on my iPhone, but I’ll kick DH off the computer. 

On ‎3‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 3:47 PM, John&LaLa said:

Long time coming.

We were booked on this trip but got burned out on Mariner, so we cancelled 

Thanks

There is always next year.  It is a great itinerary - lots to see and do.

Jack

Have you seen the news about the Viking Sky which has been disabled off the coast of Norway? They are in the process of evacuating the passengers and crew by helicopter one passenger at a time. Very scary videos being shown. Apparently very rough seas making rescue difficult and dangerous.

Edited by blueridgemama

We noticed that all of the flags were at half mast and it caused quite a discussion as people were wondering just what had happened over night while we were at sea.  It was later explained that this was the anniversary of a tragedy that had occurred the previous year.

DSC_5426.jpg

On a happier note, we all wished we could be sailing in this beautiful harbor on a nice little sailing boat!:classic_smile:

DSC_5427.jpg

This is Georges Island - which is a glacial drumlin. It was originally known as Snowshoe Island but the name was changed when it fortified. During the & Years War two thousand French prisoners were imprisoned here and during the American Revolution British soldiers where stationed here to defend against American privateers. The lighthouse was built in 1876.  The island is a National Historic Site of Canada and is not open to the general public.

DSC_5433.jpg

20 hours ago, blueridgemama said:

Have you seen the news about the Viking Sky which has been disabled off the coast of Norway? They are in the process of evacuating the passengers and crew by helicopter one passenger at a time. Very scary videos being shown. Apparently very rough seas making rescue difficult and dangerous.

Yes...but am so glad to see that there was no loss of life.  Reports indicate some injuries occurred, however, such as broken bones and cuts. Kudos to the crew of the Viking Sky and to the passengers who handled it so well - as well as the courageous actions of the helicopter pilots and other first respnders.

Here is a picture of the Sky's sister ship which was docked just ahead of us on this cruise.

DSC_4698.jpg

Our ship has docked at a very historic location for Halifax and for Canada in general.  This location was sort of our Ellis Island.

DSC_5434.jpg

Once processed, the railroad to carry the immigrants to other cities within Canada.

DSC_5435.jpg

This purportedly is one of the railcars used by immigrants and was donated to the museum.

DSC_5436.jpg

On ‎3‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 1:48 PM, jagsfan said:

I had a hard time finding  you, Sailor Jack!

There’s another guy with your screen name who joined in ‘13 and then nothing. 

I would love to read your “riding camels and walking like an Egyptian” review again, because it makes me laugh like a loon. 

Is there a way to dig deep and find your old reviews? I wish you’d publish them and make the world a happier place!

I was not aware that Cruise Critic programming would allow two names the same! Glad you enjoyed the reviews. Links to my other reviews are in my signature - just expand it.

Jack

On ‎3‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 1:58 PM, truffles2 said:

Expand his signature and there are links to his reviews.

I should have scrolled down further...I didn't see where you had already responded...thanks.

Jack