Serenade of the “C’s” I Mean “I’s” – Ice Bergs, Iceland, Ice Caps and Ice Cream

On ‎4‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 9:10 AM, cft8 said:

I agree with you - I can't wait to go back to Halifax! Not only did I not have enough time to spend at the places we did go (gardens and the Citadel, mainly), but there were also places I wanted to see but didn't get to, like the Maritime Museum.

I have enjoyed your review and photos and now a crossing like this is on my bucket list!

We did not get to the Maritime Museum so that is also on our list to see next time.  Friends told us about a place called Peggy's Cove, but I think that is some ways away from Halifax, but there is so much to do.  Easily worth another visit.

Glad you are enjoying photos.  It is a great itinerary - you will enjoy the crossing.

Jack

18 hours ago, SailorJack said:

The board walk even had a rest station.  Feeling a little tired - these hammocks offered great views of the harbor and were free to use.

DSC_5508.jpg

There were LOTS of specialty shops and eateries along the boardwalk, but the real action was at the outdoor food mart!

DSC_5506.jpg

22 hours ago, SailorJack said:

We did not get to the Maritime Museum so that is also on our list to see next time.  Friends told us about a place called Peggy's Cove, but I think that is some ways away from Halifax, but there is so much to do.  Easily worth another visit.

Glad you are enjoying photos.  It is a great itinerary - you will enjoy the crossing.

Jack

I think Peggy's Cove is an all day excursion - may not leave enough time to explore Halifax.  If not, someone else will correct me.:classic_smile:

On ‎4‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 1:41 PM, SailorJack said:

My first visit to a Poutineria! Canadas new national food. I loved the "and you'll think you died and gone to Canada."

DSC_5505.jpg

For those who have not had the pleasure, this is what it looks like.  Very appetizing. :classic_laugh: I don't think you can get it in the US - at least I have neve seen it.

IMG_0540.jpg

• Like 1

21 hours ago, chamima said:

What exactly is in it?

Or shouldn't I ask? 😱

It looks atrocious, but it actually tasted quite good.  In addition to the fries and cheese curd it had a very tasty gravy. I don't know if the gravy was a local touch, but it certainly added to the dish.

On 4/17/2019 at 11:33 AM, SailorJack said:

Last photos of the Public Gardens.  This really was a great place to visit.  Next time we are here we will bring a bottle of wine and some sandwiches and picnic under the shade of some of the huge trees here. A couple of days ago, CruiseCritic published an article that was entitled, "10 Ports Not Worth a Second Visit" - or something like that.  It listed Halifax as one of those ports.  Don't believe it! This was one of the highlights of our cruise and we can't wait to come back.  Wait till you see the Harbor Walk - it is magnificent!

I agree with you.  Halifax is a great port with lots of history, shops, architecture, and nature.  We had the pleasure of visiting in 2017 and I hope to return again some day.

On 4/18/2019 at 4:41 PM, SailorJack said:

Jack

Peggy's Cove did appear to be a full day trip and sounded potentially crowded with mostly just a (very picturesque) visit to a lighthouse.  If you have time, I think there is a heritage sight and some wineries that direction too, but it might be more worth a land trip.

I have only heard of poutine (fries with cheese curds and gravy) in Canada, and I think people have started experimenting with different flavor combinations - I'm guessing either gravy or cheese types.  I have seen french fries with gravy before at restaurants in Pennsylvania Dutch (German/Amish) area restaurants - just not the cheese curds.

On ‎4‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 10:43 AM, Tom47 said:

I had poutine about 10 years ago in New Brunswick.  It had cheese curds and french fries.  It originated in Quebec.

Ten years ago!:classic_huh: So much for my theory that this was a new trend.  I didn't know that I was that far out of the look about all things Canadian.  I guess I need to get back home a little more often.:classic_biggrin:

Jack

29 minutes ago, SailorJack said:

Ten years ago!:classic_huh: So much for my theory that this was a new trend.  I didn't know that I was that far out of the look about all things Canadian.  I guess I need to get back home a little more often.:classic_biggrin:

Jack

Haha!  I had read about poutine before our New Brunswick road trip and decided to try it.  Supposedly the Quebecois invented it because of high fat content during bitter cold winters.  I did a travelogue with pictures of our trip.  See.    http://www.vermontbridges.com/nb1_keating.htm

On ‎4‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 12:05 PM, yukongold said:

I think Peggy's Cove is an all day excursion - may not leave enough time to explore Halifax.  If not, someone else will correct me.:classic_smile:

You are correct.  I checked. The tour to Peggy's Cove takes a little over 5 hours - not much time to do anything else - even if you had the energy!:classic_laugh:

Jack

On ‎4‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 8:58 AM, Tom47 said:

Haha!  I had read about poutine before our New Brunswick road trip and decided to try it.  Supposedly the Quebecois invented it because of high fat content during bitter cold winters.  I did a travelogue with pictures of our trip.  See.    http://www.vermontbridges.com/nb1_keating.htm

WHAT! I have been eating my way through the ship's buffet for two weeks and come ashore and eat something with High Fat Content! Now you tell me! :classic_biggrin:

Enjoyed your travelogue photos.  I take it you and Liz are bridge buffs.  I have not been to NB, but maybe I should put it on my list.  I was intrigued by the "flower pots."

Jack

On 5/1/2019 at 11:13 AM, SailorJack said:

WHAT! I have been eating my way through the ship's buffet for two weeks and come ashore and eat something with High Fat Content! Now you tell me! :classic_biggrin:

Enjoyed your travelogue photos.  I take it you and Liz are bridge buffs.  I have not been to NB, but maybe I should put it on my list.  I was intrigued by the "flower pots."

Jack

I am glad that you liked the pics.

Liz is the covered bridge buff--575 cbs so far--mostly US, but also Canada, Switzerland, China, Russia and Germany.  I have done other travelogues, but when I posted with a link to all of them, CC made it disappear.

Edited by Tom47

On ‎4‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 4:09 PM, yukongold said:

OK..I need to go up to Canada so see what all this Poutine stuff is all about!:classic_biggrin:

Well, I don't know if it really worth a trip up to Canada, but I am told by friends that there is an American version - something called Disco Fries.  I had never heard of this before, but I am told that it becoming popular in the Northeastern states.

Jack

To get back on the ship we had to pass through the old Immigrant Processing building.  It has been repurposed and is now full of shops and small stores - a last chance to buy something before leaving Halifax.:classic_biggrin:

DSC_5517.jpg

I have no idea what they were selling here  - I wasn't about to go up and ask.

DSC_5518.jpg

On ‎5‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 1:11 PM, Tom47 said:

I am glad that you liked the pics.

Liz is the covered bridge buff--575 cbs so far--mostly US, but also Canada, Switzerland, China, Russia and Germany.  I have done other travelogues, but when I posted with a link to all of them, CC made it disappear.

Something like that happened to me with one of the reviews I posted.  One day it was there and the next it was gone. It had pretty much run its course so I didn't repost. You might try reposting the link?

Jack

Edited by SailorJack

On ‎5‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 9:25 AM, Tom47 said:

Wow...there is quite an active group of bridge affectionados out there.  I also didn't realize that there were that many covered bridges.  I will have to pay more attention next time we are driving through the country areas.

4 hours ago, SailorJack said:

Wow...there is quite an active group of bridge affectionados out there.  I also didn't realize that there were that many covered bridges.  I will have to pay more attention next time we are driving through the country areas.

There are some in Georgia.  See my review of a biography of a former slave who built cbs in pre civil war Georgia.       https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/R2UW9DG0X1R2XZ/ref=cm_cr_dp_d_rvw_ttl?ie=UTF8&ASIN=0820326267 

54 minutes ago, pacruise804 said:

We have quite a few covered bridges in Pennsylvania too if you are interested in a southbound road trip.

We have visited about 100 of Pennsylvania's 220 cbs

• Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 6:08 AM, pacruise804 said:

We have quite a few covered bridges in Pennsylvania too if you are interested in a southbound road trip.

I have to admit, Tom has piqued my interests in in covered bridges, but I don't think a trip to PA is in our immediate future.:classic_laugh:

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, SailorJack said:

I have to admit, Tom has piqued my interests in in covered bridges, but I don't think a trip to PA is in our immediate future.:classic_laugh:

See CB safari tour for Georgia cbs

On ‎5‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 12:49 PM, Tom47 said:

There are some in Georgia.  See my review of a biography of a former slave who built cbs in pre civil war Georgia.       https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/R2UW9DG0X1R2XZ/ref=cm_cr_dp_d_rvw_ttl?ie=UTF8&ASIN=0820326267 

Interesting review!  It mentions the covered bridge at Stone Mountain - which is just down the road from us.  We have put that on our "to see" list.  With its historical significance I can't believe we have not seen it on any of our previous visits to Stone Mountain Park!

Thanks so much for the tip.

Jack