Setting up a Cash Account

Lovincruisin1321

Has anyone set up a Cash Account instead of using a credit card on file?

I am not a huge drinker and I don't want to invest $700-$900 on a beverage package.  However, I want to control my money on the cruise without any surprises.  I am thinking of using OBC - setting up a Cash Account and pay as I go.

Thoughts?   How does a Cash Account work?

Cash accounts are set up at Guest Services once you board your ship.  You give them X amount of dollars and you spend it down.  I am not sure how you are refunded if you don't spend it all.

Question for OP - would you include enough $ to cover your daily gratuities?

Honestly, I think having a credit card 'on file' is the most efficient way of handling all the on-board expenses.  You can monitor your account daily on your room TV, so you can catch any mistakes/irregularities.

Purchases aboard are on a cashless basis, so whether you have put down a credit card, cash, or are using OBC, you will not be handing over cash as you make each purchase, if that's what you're asking.

You either put down a credit card, which will have a 'hold' of $60 per person per day (less on cruises over 25 days), cash in a similar amount, or you can try to talk the Front Desk out of any deposit if you have an equivalent in OBC from a 3rd party (good luck with that!).
You can ask for a printout of your purchases every day, or look at the Navigator App on your own or the ship's computers. That way you can keep track of what your expenses are.

You can purchase credits yourself in advance in an amount you think you will be spending. Any excess will be returned to you at the end of the cruise.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, RuthC said:

Purchases aboard are on a cashless basis, so whether you have put down a credit card, cash, or are using OBC, you will not be handing over cash as you make each purchase, if that's what you're asking.

You either put down a credit card, which will have a 'hold' of $60 per person per day (less on cruises over 25 days), cash in a similar amount, or you can try to talk the Front Desk out of any deposit if you have an equivalent in OBC from a 3rd party (good luck with that!).
You can ask for a printout of your purchases every day, or look at the Navigator App on your own or the ship's computers. That way you can keep track of what your expenses are.

You can purchase credits yourself in advance in an amount you think you will be spending. Any excess will be returned to you at the end of the cruise.

Thank you.  What is the Navigator App?  The cruise I am referring to is a Holland America.  I am surprising hubby as a present for X-Mas and I don't want him to spend any $.  I am trying to get all expenses paid up front so I don't freak at end of cruise!

Regardless of whether a passenger presents a credit card or cash at check-in, he/she will use the room key card for ALL purchases aboard ship.  As Ruth said, you can check your account on a daily basis if you want.  Trust me, if you're dealing in cash, the front desk will alert you if you begin to get too low.  They will expect you to make a "deposit" to keep the account "flush".  

Each purchase you make will be deducted from you shipboard account.  All passengers are expected to make a "deposit" when they check in at the pier, either with cash or credit card "hold."  If using credit card, any funds not used, which HA placed a hold on, will be released at the end of the cruise.  If using a credit card, which it doesn't sound as though you're planning to use one, make certain you have the credit limit, so HA can place the "hold".  I've witnessed people who didn't have that much credit scramble to find an alternative method.  Not the best way to start a vacation.

44 minutes ago, RuthC said:

I hate to disagree with Ruth, but if you have OBC from any source equal to or greater than the $60/person/day you will not have to place another deposit.  All Holland is looking for is the total. Anything remaining at the end can be refunded in Cash, or to a card that you provide. If at any point you provide a card, a hold will be placed against it for $60/person/day ($30 if over 25 days) for the number of days remaining.

Last cruise we pre-purchased a drink card.  We only have a cocktail/beer here and there so the drink packages don't make sense.  We used only a portion of the drink card and they credited our on board account for the balance remaining.  It helped pay gratuities.  

We have paid in cash in the past. once on board at guest services they will take your cash deposit and give you a receipt for that amount. if you get low on your cash deposit and your obc  has been depleted they will ask for more cash or a credit card. any unused cash is returned to you on the last full day (not the disembarkation morning) and a credit card would pick-up any remaining charges. 

8 hours ago, Lovincruisin1321 said:

One more question about OBC.  So, if I purchase $500 of OBC, that is calculated and I just use my ship card when making purchases and it automatically will be deducted from OBC first before making it a "charge"?

Exactly. If you look at your invoice, the credits are listed first, and purchases are deducted from it, giving a running total of what it owed back to you, until you use up your credit. Then it shows what you owe HAL.

1 hour ago, RuthC said:

Exactly. If you look at your invoice, the credits are listed first, and purchases are deducted from it, giving a running total of what it owed back to you, until you use up your credit. Then it shows what you owe HAL.

Of course, HAL makes sure that you do not “owe” them money.  If you put down a cash deposit, they will cut off your shipboard spending as it runs out.  If you use a credit card, they will put an initial “hold” (I think $60 per person per day) and increase it if your on board spending goes above that amount.  They make absolutely certain that there can be no way you will end the cruise “owing” them money.   The only owing will be what you owe your credit card issuer.

Interesting responses.  We have seen quite a few folks use cash accounts on cruises (including HAL) although it is rare on longer cruises.   Bottom line is that Guest Services will tell you their specific deposit rules but will always insist you have a positive cash balance.  It your balance on deposit drops below what they consider reasonable you will get a notice to report to Guest Relations to make additional cash deposits.   On some cruises this can mean you spend more then your share of time waiting in queues at Guest Relations until its your turn.  

We do have a friend who does not like to run up a bill on their credit card.  On cruises they will use a credit card to establish their onboard account, but always settle that account in cash before they leave the vessel.   By having their credit card on file, they avoid any "cash calls" or having to wait in line at Guest Relations to add additional cash to their account.  This does require that their credit card have a sufficient credit limit to handle the normal "credit hold" imposed by most cruise lines.  On some lines (such as HAL) the credit hold can be as much as $60 per passenger day!

I have wondered how folks who do not have a credit card or a card with a reasonable max....travel.  Consider all the travel related things you cannot do without a credit card.   Try renting a car.  While it is difficult domestically, it can be done with some agencies.  But as you travel around the world, having a credit card is almost a requirement.  And one must have a sufficient max on that card to handle the credit hold required by the rental car companies.   Try checking into most decent hotels without a credit card and there may be some real issues.  They want a card for what they call "incidentals" which really means they want to make sure you have sufficient credit to handle what you might spend at their hotel.   Try to make an airline reservation without a credit card?  Some airlines make this very difficult (if not impossible).  It is also a "red flag" which increase the chances that you will be singled out for additional security screening.  

We have also encountered some other issues in our travels such as needing a credit card to purchase a train ticket at stations where there are no ticket windows (with humans) to accept cash.  We have also parked in some garages and lots (in Europe) where one must have a valid credit card to park!   We actually got stuck in a large parking lot at the Avignon, France TGV station when none of our credit cards was accepted by the automatic exit gate!  We blocked traffic for over 10 minutes until a security officer reached our location.  Even he could not get us through the gate but he did back up several cars (behind us) so we could back away from the gate.  Eventually we made our way to the security office where we finally able to settle our bill with real Euros.  The problem was in those days none of our US credit cards would work for lack of a EMV compatible chip!  Not only was it somewhat humiliating, but we wasted nearly 30 minutes just getting out of that stupid parking lot!

I have no idea how anyone can do extensive international travel without at least one credit card.  DW and I now travel with 5 different major credit cards (each now has a Chip) and 3 ATM cards (each drawn on separate accounts in different banks)!   While this might sound like overkill, we have found it almost a requirement for our extensive travel schedule.  Even having those multiple ATMs becomes very important when we need a large amount of cash to pay for an apartment, B&B, etc.  It is a way to deal with daily withdrawal limits!

Hank

It’s your choice, but I’d buy OBC in advance, and figure whatever the travel agent gave you in credit, enough to cover the per person service charge, and what else you might spend.   Then at checkin give them your credit card to settle up at the end.  If you have the on board credit the final bill won’t be much and it’s so much safer than carrying on that much cash, and carrying it hope if you don’t spend it all.