Lahaina Luau, Maui

brnsofia

On ‎10‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 11:45 AM, CruiserBruce said:

If you are tendering into Lahaina,  it is walkable...about 30 minutes, maybe a bit more. Or you take a cab. Google Maps is your friend.

If you are docking in Kahalui, it is a 45+ minute drive, each way.

any idea what the cab fee for 30-45 min is to get there?

20 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

Are you going to be coming from Kahalui? It is a solid 45 minutes each way. The cab will cost more than the luau. You can check out Uber at Uberestimate.com. 

yes I see it now that its like 100 each way. thinking of renting a car but that will be a 100 for the day. wish the cruise ships had better excursions

• 2 months later...

http://drumsofthepacificmaui.com

Drums of the Pacific is very popular - excellent luau in a great location at the Hyatt resort on Kaanapali Beach.  I would opt for it as an excursion - with no worries!  

Very high praise on the TripAdvisor Maui Forum.  

Maui has a wonderful selection of luau ... better than Oahu, IMHO.

1 hour ago, cruislovin said:

We are interested in this luau.  How would it compare to the one offered as a shore excursion, DRUMS OF THE PACIFIC LUAU?

It depends upon whether you are looking for a Hawaiian luau or a Polynesian luau (two different sorts of shows - you might google the differences).  No need to take an excursion.  We believe you will be tendering into Lahaina, and that is only four miles from where Drums of the Pacific is held.  Cab fare should run about $20.00, but you could split the fare with friends.  Old Lahaina Luau is even closer, and The Feast at Lele is right next to the area where the tender docks. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, cruislovin said:

I have not seen mention of this one before.  Which do you recommend of the 3?

You are correct we will be docking in Lahaina.

That choice has to be up to your own personal wishes, as it really does depend upon what type of luau you want.  For instance,  Old Lahaina Luau is Hawaiian.  Drums of the Pacific and The Feast at Lele are Polynesian.  The Feast at Lele offers table service.  Old Lahaina Luau and Drums of the Pacific  have buffets.  Only the Polynesian shows have fire dancers.  We could go on about other differences, but your best bet is to read the reviews of each on Trip Advisor and see what captures your interest.

I am currently in Maui on separate trip, not a cruise.  We attended Old Lahaina Luau last night and absolutely loved it.  The food and dancers were amazing.  The dancers take you through the history of Hawaii.  There were activities to do beforehand, an open bar, and local artists with items to sell (cash only).  I can’t express how much we enjoyed it.

I have attached a couple photos.  I am on the wrong device for any of the videos.

72C24E79-3ECF-4D8A-82E1-883BADB08920.jpeg

226A51F9-DBE0-499C-A0E2-E370C9F51DEC.jpeg

7E1D5B97-C17A-41A8-BBB5-EE3B962BC9CD.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...

We are on the Ovation of the Seas tendered on May 1, 2019.  Our ship is scheduled to leave at

10:00 pm and would hate to be left.  Is it doable to go to Old Lahaina Luau and still get back to

tender area on time?

Thanks,

Kathy

1 hour ago, echokat said:

We are on the Ovation of the Seas tendered on May 1, 2019.  Our ship is scheduled to leave at

10:00 pm and would hate to be left.  Is it doable to go to Old Lahaina Luau and still get back to

tender area on time?

Thanks,

Kathy

From the website:  March 1 st – May 31st: Meet at 5:45 pm. Luau ends at 8:45 pm.  Would double check that of course.

Edited by Beachiekeen

10 hours ago, echokat said:

tender area on time?

Thanks,

Kathy

9 hours ago, Beachiekeen said:

From the website:  March 1 st – May 31st: Meet at 5:45 pm. Luau ends at 8:45 pm.  Would double check that of course.

Google Maps shows it’s 1.2 miles (24 minute walk) between Lahaina Harbor & OLL.  On Princess the All Aboard time is 30 minutes before sailing & as I recall the last tender could be sooner than that time.  It’s been my experience that Lahaina sailaway is often delayed to get everyone onboard & to stow the tenders.

I certainly wouldn’t depend upon it & would figure I’d need to be on a tender before 9:30 or whenever it’s close to the cutoff time.  I don’t know if it’s possible to schedule a reliable taxi pickup that would get you to the harbor on time which is another factor I’d consider.  You could leave the performance earlier but don’t know your comfort level about when you want to be back onboard.

A closer option to the harbor is the Feast at Lele Polynesian performance & food by the same people who produce the OLL.  It’s 0.3 miles/7 minute walk from the harbor & is slightly more expensive.  However for that extra cost it’s table service with better food & drinks at a beachside location that has separate performances & food depicting Hawaii, Samoa, Tahiti & Maori (NZ).

https://www.feastatlele.com/

Menu:  https://www.feastatlele.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/Website-Lele-Menu-2019.pdf

Both are very popular & thus discounts are not offered like at some of the large hotel luaus & being popular they can sellout several weeks before their events.

Edited by Astro Flyer

• 3 weeks later...

We are on Radiance, stopping in Lahaina May on May 10 and 11 (anchored overnight).  We are thinking of going to a Luau on the 10th.  Does anyone know when the last tender goes back to the ship when it is  staying in the bay overnight?

I would expect the tenders to run all night. A quick look down the board to this thread would confirm that:

1 hour ago, Sparky777 said:

We are on Radiance, stopping in Lahaina May on May 10 and 11 (anchored overnight).  We are thinking of going to a Luau on the 10th.  Does anyone know when the last tender goes back to the ship when it is  staying in the bay overnight?

11 hours ago, Sparky777 said:

Also on this cruise with you (you should come visit the roll call for this cruise).  We have been advised tenders will run all night, but less frequently during the over night hours.  There are about 70 - 80 of us attending the luau that evening.

I have heard that the tenders run all night, as posted above, but someone on our Roll Call for the September 2020 cruise on the Serenade recently posted that on the Explorer last year the tenders stopped at 11 PM.  So, maybe the tender situation is ship specific?

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎1‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 11:42 PM, SissyFace said:

http://drumsofthepacificmaui.com

Drums of the Pacific is very popular - excellent luau in a great location at the Hyatt resort on Kaanapali Beach.  I would opt for it as an excursion - with no worries!  

Very high praise on the TripAdvisor Maui Forum.  

Maui has a wonderful selection of luau ... better than Oahu, IMHO.

We will be docking at Kahului. The Drums of the Pacific is the offered cruise ship excursion. The reviews are very mixed. Some say great. Others sound like the cruise ship patrons are given second class seating and last option at the buffet.

OTOH going to another (distant) luau and worrying about getting back to the ship on time is not an option 🙂 

Does anyone have any personal experience to share on either the Drums luau or making it back to the ship from another venue:?

Charlie

5 hours ago, 98Charlie said:

We will be docking at Kahului. The Drums of the Pacific is the offered cruise ship excursion. The reviews are very mixed. Some say great. Others sound like the cruise ship patrons are given second class seating and last option at the buffet.

OTOH going to another (distant) luau and worrying about getting back to the ship on time is not an option 🙂 

Does anyone have any personal experience to share on either the Drums luau or making it back to the ship from another venue:?

Charlie

We’ve gone there when family visit us in Maui because they offer discounts unlike the popular OLL or Feast at Lele.  

Even though we prefer those options we thought the Drums of the Pacific was a good hotel luau.  There’s typical buffet luau food, drink (enjoyed the Kona Brewing beer on tap) and Polynesian entertainment.  As I recall going to the buffet is based on the type of seats purchased which may be the least expensive ones for a ship’s tour...there’s no shortage of food.

I wouldn’t hesitate to go to the Drums of the Pacific luau & being on a ship’s tour any traffic delays should mean that you won’t miss the ship.

Edited by Astro Flyer