Anytime dining doesn’t work!

oldtrout

7 minutes ago, WarEagle76 said:

The Princess description of ATD states “Just like a restaurant at home, Anytime Dining enables guests the freedom to dine when and with whom they wish, at any time between 5:30 PM and 10 PM.”  So the fact that at the end of the day one gets to eat isn’t the issue when their marketing material sets an expectation that it should be when one chooses to dine during that time period. 

And just like your restaurant at home, if you insist on eating at primetime when everyone else does, you may have to wait.

4 hours ago, bemis12 said:

And just like your restaurant at home, if you insist on eating at primetime when everyone else does, you may have to wait.

Unlike Princess, the restaurant at home does not have traditional time diners jumping over. 

10 hours ago, bemis12 said:

The restaurant at home doesn't set the unrealistic expectation through their marketing that I can walk into their restaurant at ANY TIME and get a table without waiting. Princess does, which was the point. 

If the ATD wait times are a problem, maybe Princess should offer "Call Ahead Seating."  Call Ahead Seating is not making a reservation, rather it puts you in the queue as if you walked in the door of the MDR.  Restaurants with CAS will often be able to tell you a rough estimate of how long the wait will be.  This way, you could make a call and get into the queue while you are getting dressed or having a predinner cocktail on  your balcony.  The fly in the ointment is Princess will need to have some staff answering the phone.  I can't tell you how many times I would call for a reservation or room service and nobody answers the phone.

12 hours ago, Cindy said:

I agree with others...people with Traditional Dining should not be permitted to take a table in an Anytime dining space. It's very unfair to the people who chose (or were forced to choose) Anytime. In my opinion, it is selfish for Traditional diners to switch back and forth because it fits their schedule for the day. It increases the wait time in Anytime while reserved tables in Traditional sit empty.

Everybody has to be a part of the solution. If you can't make your Traditional seating, you can choose a specialty restaurant or the Horizon Court.

IMHO, it is also selfish for ATD'ers to make standing reservations.....

Bob

• Like 2

I like Anytime Dining because we never know what we plan to do each day and don't want to lock into a TD time.  And, I don't think it's right for us to book into TD and then go to ATD when we want a different time.  To me, if you pick TD and don't like the time for you on a particular day, go to the buffet or specialty restaurant.  It just seems like courtesy to me.  

With my wife's dietary requirements now, we pretty much have to pick a dining room and go to the same one each time so the head waiter can ensure she has her special order.  It worked very well last time and we only stood waiting for a table once, for about 20 minutes.  All other times were less than 5 minutes, and this was eating between 6 and 7:30.  

• Like 2

We have had Anytime Dining since we began cruising with Princess, except on the small ships when it wasn't available. We have always taken advantage of the early reservation system for AD by calling in the morning for that evening.  Recently we were on the Star Princess and the reservation times were unavailable.  No problem, we would go to the dining room and see what happens.  We had dinner early and when we left close to 6 pm, the line for waiting outside was unbelievable.  It wrapped around the area by the Pursers Desk.   I asked some of them if they had pagers.   The answer was NO.  The next day, I went to the purser and asked if the dining rooms used pagers.   They said there were no pagers used.  I was  naturally confused.  We avoided the dining room for several days by using the specialty dining and buffet.  We were not happy, but managed.  Two nights before the cruise ended, we decided to give the dining room a try and, surprise, surprise, pagers magically appeared.  Not sure when they surfaced.   

2 hours ago, Woobstr112G said:

IMHO, it is also selfish for ATD'ers to make standing reservations.....

Bob

I don’t think they even take them on Princess.

I made my comment because in my experience other lines (HAL, RCI, and Celebrity) are much more diligent about checking for “crossover” diners, and also seem to have fewer problems with long waits and lack of available tables. It makes sense to me that if people are essentially taking double the space in the main dining rooms (empty reserved spot in Traditional while they dine in ATD at their convenience) then they are contributing to an ineffective system and the double-dipping needs to be eliminated.

35 minutes ago, Cindy said:

I don’t think they even take them on Princess.

I made my comment because in my experience other lines (HAL, RCI, and Celebrity) are much more diligent about checking for “crossover” diners, and also seem to have fewer problems with long waits and lack of available tables. It makes sense to me that if people are essentially taking double the space in the main dining rooms (empty reserved spot in Traditional while they dine in ATD at their convenience) then they are contributing to an ineffective system and the double-dipping needs to be eliminated.

I am in total agreement with you about crossovers.  I believe that if a TD'er goes to ATD once, he forfeits his TD status and becomes an ATD'er.  Unfortunately enforcement won't happen regularly because the level that people are checked varies from ship to ship.  My biggest and only beef with ATD is the ability of an ATD'er to make standing reservations for the entire voyage.  What happens when they don't show up?  I am aware however, that the ability to make the reservations also varies from ship to ship.....

Bob 

• Like 1

We were on the 10/6 Star Coastal. Most of our meals were in the specialty restaurants but the two times we went to the anytime dining rooms no one asked to see our cruise card to make sure we had Anytime Dining. The first time got right in at 7:30 at a table for 2, the second time also at 7:30, which was the last night of the cruise  ,we got a pager and waited about 15 minutes. 

One thing that Holland America offers that Princess might consider is allowing all guests to order room service  off the dining room menu during dinner hours  instead of just Suite guests. HAL has the current dinner menu on their equivalent of the onboard app so it makes it easy to order from your stateroom. 

55 minutes ago, Woobstr112G said:

I am in total agreement with you about crossovers.  I believe that if a TD'er goes to ATD once, he forfeits his TD status and becomes an ATD'er.  Unfortunately enforcement won't happen regularly because the level that people are checked varies from ship to ship.  My biggest and only beef with ATD is the ability of an ATD'er to make standing reservations for the entire voyage.  What happens when they don't show up?  I am aware however, that the ability to make the reservations also varies from ship to ship.....

Bob 

I can only speak for my wife and I. We notify the waiter and the head waiter the night before if we will not be at our table.

I know that Reservations for ATD passengers is often not allowed, and is usually limited to the very early or late hours when it is possible.  Hot Topic for sure.

Does anyone here know if the Head Maitre D'  Ignazio D'Agustino has set up reservations for ATD???

Edited by Wishing on a star

1 hour ago, Woobstr112G said:

I am in total agreement with you about crossovers.  I believe that if a TD'er goes to ATD once, he forfeits his TD status and becomes an ATD'er.  

Bob 

The problem with this solution is that it permanently leaves the empty seat in TD / adds the extra seat into AD.  

UNLESS.... Someone is moved from the TD waiting list into TD.  But that creates a whole other level of complexity to the process when the current process isn't made consistent across ships.

When we first started cruising traditional dining was the only option. When anytime dining was offered we switched to AD because we wanted to meet new people and have the flexibility. The past few years it seems that more TD were coming to AD  creating longer wait time at AD. Now it seem that I should choose TD and then go wherever I want for dinner. That would not right. If you sign up for TD you should go to TD, and if your schedule for that day does not allow you to make you dining time then go to the Horizon Court, or get some pizza, a hamburger or a hot dog by the pool. If you know in advance that you can't make your TD time book a specialty restaurant. There are other option beside taking my seat, that I signed up for. Also no reservations. 

Another option would be to make all the dining rooms anytime dining with no reservations. If you want to eat with a group everyday or on occasion just have everyone meet in a lounge, or somewhere, and when your all together go as a group for a table.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Woobstr112G said:

Bob 

You are right but I would go one step further.  If a TD'er goes to ATD once, they forfeit all dining room privileges.  They have to eat all their meals for the rest of the cruise in the buffet or at the poolside snack bar.  What do you think are the odds of that happening are?  

DON

25 minutes ago, donaldsc said:

You are right but I would go one step further.  If a TD'er goes to ATD once, they forfeit all dining room privileges.  They have to eat all their meals for the rest of the cruise in the buffet or at the poolside snack bar.  What do you think are the odds of that happening are?  

DON

That may be a little extreme. How about just dropping them from TD. There table can then be reassigned. 

On ‎10‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 6:18 PM, Cruise Junky said:

It’s never worked. Every time we had a 30 to 45 min wait with a buzzer. They don’t check cruise cards. Anyone can go to anytime even if they booked traditional. Our last few cruises have been on Celebrity. Have been handed a buzzer once. They cap anytime and check your room number. 

The more important question is, what time did you arrive at the door?

If you showed up at 6:30, what would your expect?

Certainly not to be seated immediately. 

Wow, this thread scared me! We are Princess newbies (1 cruise under our belt, with traditional dining). We have a cruise coming up next month and we opted for anytime dining, since TD @ 5:30 is a BIT too early for us. Yes, I know we can go have a drink and wait the 30-45-60 minutes for a table for 2, but we typically do this BEFORE we head to the dining room. But, thankfully, I checked and the 7:15 TD option is open, so we switched from AD to TD at 7:15. A bit later than we would like, but a heck of a lot better than 8-8:30, or whatever Princess had before.

Pink wrote:

We always like to dine early.  So, we always book our cruises a good year or so out.  That way Traditional Early Dining is always available.  When it comes to  cruises, where there will be a lot of late departures from ports (we like to say good bye to each port), then we will look at the itinerary closely, and usually book Traditional Late Seating (8 or 8:30) and then jump over to anytime dining around 7:30 pm should we wish to eat a little earlier, in the case that it is raining or inclement weather.   Always book table for two and always get a table for two as well.   Have always had luck in this regard. 

We just got off the Regal last week, and each night, the Head Waiters checked the status of each diner coming in to Anytime Dining.  They did not allow pax assigned to Traditional Dining to take up space during Anytime Dining.  

If you book a cruise a year ahead of time so that you can have TD, then you suddenly decide that you will jump in front of Anytime Dining passengers, then you're taking a table away from the Anytime Dining passengers.  If you decide that your TD doesn't work for you on a port day, then you go to Horizon Court, Alfredos, Sabatinis, Crab Shack, Crown Grill, International Cafe, or use free room service.  Endless options for you on a late port day.  But you DON'T suddenly decide to "jump over" ( after you looked at the itinerary a year in advance)   and take advantage of others.  That's what causes the problem. -- EBC 

Edited by EastBay Cruisers
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, EastBay Cruisers said:

We just got off the Regal last week, and each night, the Head Waiters checked the status of each diner coming in to Anytime Dining.  They did not allow pax assigned to Traditional Dining to take up space during Anytime Dining.  

If you book a cruise a year ahead of time so that you can have TD, then you suddenly decide that you will jump in front of Anytime Dining passengers, then you're taking a table away from the Anytime Dining passengers.  If you decide that your TD doesn't work for you on a port day, then you go to Horizon Court, Alfredos, Sabatinis, Crab Shack, Crown Grill, International Cafe, or use free room service.  Endless options for you on a late port day.  But you DON'T suddenly decide to "jump over" ( after you looked at the itinerary a year in advance)   and take advantage of others.  That's what causes the problem. -- EBC 

Exactly!!  The meaning of being 'assigned' to anytime or traditional dining means that is your assignment throughout the cruise ... not just when you feel like going to one dining room or the other.  

The problem started when they changed the dining times to late afternoon for the traditional dining.  It is an experiment that has thus far failed as far as I can tell.  

I would love a fixed dining time of 6 PM but now this has been changed to 4:30 PM, which is ridiculous!  

At least I applaud those on the Regal for checking the dining assignments!  Kudos!!