Recommendation for Alaska Land Tour Company

Schti

We are long time cruisers who are flying into Anchorage for our first Alaskan Cruise and first Princess cruise on 6/19/2019.

Our group of 4 in our late 60s and early 70s want to do a pre cruise land package but the Princess ones were not what we had in mind. I've read many posts suggesting a DIY but for many reasons we do not want that challenge. So...

1. If you know of a reputable Alaska Land Tour Company we would really appreciate your recommendations.

2. We've read that going by domed train from Denali to Whittier (where we sail from) is the way to go. What about Anchorage to Denali....motor coach or domed train?

3. Is it really worth an overnight stop to Talkeetna and if yes, why?

4. Is 2 nights in Denali enough?

Thanks so much for your help!!

I responded to a similar question the other day. Look down the page for a thread called something like 'land tours to Denali' .  I gave 3 options. 

I believe the cruise-contracted train does  Denali-Whittier in one day, but the regular train is Denali - Anc from noon-8pm, then  you overnite in Anchorage and catch a train the next day to Whittier around 10- noon.

If you want to do it in a day, you probably need to take the train TO  Denali, then the bus back. The early bus would have your in Anc in time for lunch and the Whittier connection.

As for Talkeetna, some people love it, others think it's just a tourist trap.  I'd stop there again if I was with  someone who hadn't been to Alaska before but wouldn't choose to overnight there .  Read past trip reports (posted nr the top of the page), look at the town web site and see if there's enough to hold your interest.

I've never used the train in Alaska. I've only rented cars or RVs so I can't offer any insight .  I

But I would sure recommend driving. It's only a 5 hr drive....easy 2 lane road, impossible to get lost. And having a car allows you to stop for other points of interest and wildlife sightings.  Plus you'll have access to more interesting lodging choices other than the big cruise hotels.  

On 10/21/2018 at 1:18 PM, pbenjamin said:

We got a recommendation from our Travel Agent for ShoreTrips (http://www.shoretrips.com/).  Any experience with them?

Sounds like a Viator type company ..... a booking agent that can make a reservation anywhere but hasn;t necessarily been there.  Many 3rd party vendors have never been to Alaska.  I'd suggest using a company based in Alaska; someone who is familiar with the various areas,  travel times, transportation methods, lodging etc.

Maybe start with the Alaska Dept of Tourism.  https://www.travelalaska.com/Planners/Planner.aspx?utm_content=9005&utm_source=Bing&utm_medium=cpc

For my first land trip I just went to the library and borrowed some Alaska travel books. Read up on the various locations and what they had to offer.  I only had 10 days so I just figured out where I could get to in my alloted time. It's not rocket science.   Especially now with so much information on the internet , even youtube video on every sight and activity.

Edited by mapleleaves
  • Like 1

On 10/21/2018 at 2:09 PM, AKStafford said:

I'm an advocate for DIY travel in Alaska, but if I was going to use a company, it would either be Salmonberry Tours or one of the packages directly from the Alaska Railroad.

https://www.salmonberrytours.com/

https://www.alaskarailroad.com/travel-planning/packages/summer-packages

Thanks. I think Salmon Berry just might be what we are looking for.