Just off HOTS - Diamond lounge access

hew2nd

Just off HOTS today after another great cruise.

We were surprised on the first night to find a crew member stationed outside the Diamond Lounge checking Sea Pass Cards for status.

The concierge, Elaine, explained that they had been having a problem with people trying to bring guests into the lounge, and giving her a tough time when she explained that it was only for Diamond and up members. 

A crew member was there every night and the system was working well. We never had a problem getting seats, even enjoyed a very pleasant conversation with a Pinnacle who was there because his friend was not qualified for the suite lounge.

On formal night the crew member was also enforcing the "no shorts" rule.

The system seems to be working. 

• Like 2

On our August Anthem cruise the concierge and wait staff was very vigilant on the 1st 2 nights.  Even after initially showing your sea pass, the wait staff was asking for proof before taking drink orders.  Slowed down on the 3rd night.  The big problem with the Anthem is that the overflow is in the Music Theatre and this area is available to all Pax and has to be cordoned off.

6 hours ago, hew2nd said:

Just off HOTS today after another great cruise.

We were surprised on the first night to find a crew member stationed outside the Diamond Lounge checking Sea Pass Cards for status.

The concierge, Elaine, explained that they had been having a problem with people trying to bring guests into the lounge, and giving her a tough time when she explained that it was only for Diamond and up members. 

A crew member was there every night and the system was working well. We never had a problem getting seats, even enjoyed a very pleasant conversation with a Pinnacle who was there because his friend was not qualified for the suite lounge.

On formal night the crew member was also enforcing the "no shorts" rule.

The system seems to be working. 

The rule for the lounges is always smart casual.  Seems like the crew member was over stepping their lines a bit.  Anyone choosing not to participate in formal night in the dining room is not, and should not, be barred from utilizing the lounge.  Maybe it's different on Harmony; but there is no "no shorts" rule for the DL's I have been to.  And when we choose not to go to MDR on Formal night, we haven't had any problem in a lounge.  

It has been my experience that cards frequently are checked the first evening and then after that not so much; the crowds are much smaller and so keyed access is sufficient because the door isn't staying open as much 

There has been a no shorts rule in the DL for Happy Hour on nearly every Royal ship I have sailed, including the Allure last month. It was in the Diamond welcome aboard letter. They usually don’t enforce on the first day, and after that, it is hit or miss. 

I am glad that they are checking.  It took us time to get to Diamond and for us, it is one of the best perks.  We do not want to lose it.  We used to pass the lounge and always told each other....x points to go 🙂.  It was a thrilled when we finally reached diamond and went for the 1st time.

I still find it strange that RCI built in one of the smallest D lounges on one of the largest ships.  Not surprising they have to start cracking down on non D and up invaders.  :classic_dry:  Happy they are doing that.  

I Like the bigger DL on Oasis much more (but still miss it as the original CL).   

• Like 1

On our recent Grandeur cruises there was a crew member checking cards each night.  And it was always a different person - perhaps a dancer or kids counselor - so passengers couldn't say "You know me, I don't need to show you my card".  I thought that was a good idea.

On 10/21/2018 at 1:39 PM, shipgeeks said:

On our recent Grandeur cruises there was a crew member checking cards each night.  And it was always a different person - perhaps a dancer or kids counselor - so passengers couldn't say "You know me, I don't need to show you my card".  I thought that was a good idea.

I think this is punishment to crew members to police Diamonds and up who can’t police themselves. 

On 10/21/2018 at 12:09 PM, island lady said:

I still find it strange that RCI built in one of the smallest D lounges on one of the largest ships.  Not surprising they have to start cracking down on non D and up invaders.  :classic_dry:  Happy they are doing that.  

I Like the bigger DL on Oasis much more (but still miss it as the original CL).   

Pat, visited DL on Harmony.  I thought it was nice.  We had plenty of overflow lounges though.

Definitely not a dungeon.  Very cheery

Oh, and lots of power outlets.

Edited by John&LaLa

13 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Pat, visited DL on Harmony.  I thought it was nice.  We had plenty of overflow lounges though.

Definitely not a dungeon.  Very cheery

Oh, and lots of power outlets.

Thanks John, will check it out on my Harmony 2019 cruise.  Might use it for coffee, or a drink when we are down that way.  Our GS is on deck 11, so kind of a toss up to go up or down a few decks.  

BTW: Love your new Avatar picture....hello sweet Bella!  

Edited by island lady

13 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

I think this is punishment to crew members to police Diamonds and up who can’t police themselves. 

It's not just the diamonds they are policing.  If word got out that anyone could get in, everyone pre-diamond would try.  A lot of pre-diamond try to tailgate their way into the lounge.  

3 minutes ago, island lady said:

Thanks John, will check it out on my Harmony 2019 cruise.  Might use it for coffee, or a drink when we are down that way.  Our GS is on deck 11, so kind of a toss up to go up or down a few decks.  

BTW: Love your new Avatar picture....hello sweet Bella!  

We were deck 7 forward, so I went there for coffee every morning.  Then off to CK when Laura got up.

The power outlets are under the two wall monitors and over by the computer.  SL does not have a computer

1 minute ago, John&LaLa said:

We were deck 7 forward, so I went there for coffee every morning.  Then off to CK when Laura got up.

The power outlets are under the two wall monitors and over by the computer.  SL does not have a computer

Good info to know, thanks.  Though I just lug my laptop on board to use in my cabin. But on other than Oasis class...we just do JS and use the computer available for a short time in the DL/CL to check emails.