NCL Escape accessible rooms

rcmal

My father will be using an electric portable scooter for this cruise due to new mobility issues. We have booked an accessible room and was wondering if the accessible cabin rooms open automatically or would he need to manually get up from his scooter to open the door? Would appreciate any information. Thank you. 

We just got off the Bliss today and while it's not Escape, it is a sister ship, the door did open automatically and stayed open and the there was a wall switch to open the door when inside the cabin.

One thing we didn't realize with my dads handicapped cabin was it was very forward of the elevators the stewards carts in the narrow hallways makes it difficult to get by and he has a very small narrow scooter. I think the HC cabins should be located at or very near the elevators to solve that problem. 

Something to think about.

• Like 1

There are also quite a few accessible rest rooms with the same touch plate to open the door, very handy. 

Yes, the halls do get narrowed from the carts. Even my rollator would get blocked by them. I did find that wherever there was a cart there was a steward nearby and they were quite quick and adept at getting them out of the way. Bon voyage!

Our accessible room had on the Escape automatic doors (but we can't conclusively say that all have automatic doors). They are good and bad since the door will swing all the way wide open and stay open which caught some people "not presentable" in the wide open door.  🙂 Once it gets moving, you can stop or reverse the door opening.

Was on the Escape in February, had a rear view HC cabin, great room but as it has been said before, narrow hallways and carts in the way all the time, not to mention people leaving trays in the hallways. it is best to have some one run as a blocker. Yes the doors are automatic which is good and bad, when they close it could be at a bad time.Rooms are well laid out . I agree there nee eds to be another set of elevators to make them easier to get too. Crew are very helpful, Have a great cruise