Help with DIY plans in Whittier/Seward/Anchorage Area

Packman1000

Our cruise ends in Whittier and we would like to tour on our own for 4-5 days ending in Anchorage to fly home.  We have already been on the train from Denali to Anchorage so I thought we'd concentrate on points south of Anchorage on this trip.

1. What would be the best mode of transportation?  Do we take the ships transfer from Whittier to Anchorage and then rent a car (enabling us to return to Anchorage to fly home)?  If so, we'd have to back track a couple of hours if we headed toward Seward.  Or take trains, buses?
  2. What are the must see/do options south of Anchorage?  We like animal viewing, boat trips, shorter hikes, etc.
  3. What type of lodging is most recommended (hotel, B & B, cabin).  We would likely be in a couple of different places in our 4-5 nights.
  4. Any other advice would be appreciated, as I am just starting to plan for next June.

Thanks.

You can rent a car in Whittier from Avis and start your trip there, but you'll pay a hefty one-way drop off fee when you go to leave. So you might consider doing a transfer from Whittier to Anchorage (train would be my choice...) then pick up the rental car.

I suggest pricing your transportation options from Whittier.

First check the AVIS rate for picking up in Whittier and dropping at ANC. 

Next, look at the RT rate for a downtown or airport rental PLUS 2 transfer fees ($40pp)  from Whittier. 

(The train doesn't leave until 5/6pm so unless you;re doing a boat tour of Prince William Sound, I'd choose an earlier option with one of the bus companies. AlaskaCruise Transfer is well reviewed on this forum. )  If the price difference is only $100, it would be worth paying more, just so you can get a good start to your day. You could pick up the car and be on the road by 9am.  If you have to go back to Anc for the car you won't be on the road until noon/1-m.  So, it depends on the pricing.

There's a lot to see and do along the Turnagain Arm ...... Potters Marsh boardwalk, Alaska Wildlife Refuge, Portage Lake/Glacier, Beggich Boggs Visitor Center and trails, 1 mile hike to Byron Glacier, gold panning, etc. Depends on your interests how much time you spend there. You could spend that first day in or around Girdwood and overnight at the Alyeska Resort if that's the kind of lodging you prefer, or get B&B or cabin thru the Girdwood Chamber of Commerce.  Or drive another 30 minutes and stay at Summit Lake Lodge. 

These link have suggested stopping points along the Turnagain Arm

http://www.alaska.org/guide/turnagain-arm-drive 

http://www.alaska.org/guide/portage-valley

With only 4 days you will probably spend your time in and around Seward (125 miles from Anchorage),   Or skip Seward and drive to Homer (230 miles ) for a couple of days. ......