Buffet etiquette

ladydonna85

5 minutes ago, ladydonna85 said:

I was just reading the e-mail post about buffet etiquette.  One of the things talked about was bringing food outside of the buffet.  So is it really a bad thing to go get a bowl of fresh fruit and take it outside to eat it? 

No.  Most buffets have outdoor (or poolside) seating areas.

Also, many cruise lines allow buffet food to be brought back to your room, although I think there's one that charges for that.

Not sure what you read, and where you read it, but I personally don't see anything wrong with taking food out of the buffet.  Maybe a heaped plate with gravy dripping off the edge might not be the best idea, but using common sense, it should be OK.

I take food from the buffet back to my room often. Never seen that as bad etiquette and many people do this. I just leave the leftover plates in my room  for the steward to gather instead of cluttering the hallway with them by leaving them outside the door.

I take snacks out of the buffet and to my room on a regular basis.  I'll even stop at a bar for a cocktail on the way back to the room sometimes.  I like aft facing balconies.  I like to sit there with munchies, a tasty beverage, and a book and watch the world pass by. This has never been an issue.

I pile the dishes on the desk, and the room steward collects them. Easy peasy.

Edited by Bizmark'sMom

I do not really like the term "buffet etiquette"  because much of it is common sense.  We do think that all persons should be polite, well mannered, and reasonable when they deal with onboard buffets.   The biggest problem we have seen in cruise ship buffets are folks that cut into lines, do not follow reasonable health precautions (we have seen folks taste something and put the rest back), etc.  As to taking food out of Lido, such as back to your cabin, it is quite OK.  You have paid to be on the ship, paid for the buffet, and if you want to enjoy some of the items in your cabin that bless you :).  

As to taking it "outside" to eat that is a silly issue.  Many ship buffets have overflow seating areas outside of the immediate buffet area.  For example, on all the HAL vessels there are tables set up at the pool area where folks can sit after bringing food out of the buffet.  It is the same on Celebrity and even on most Princess ships.  Perhaps this would not be necessary except for the fact that many cruisers decide to "hang out" in the Lido buffets and use tables for everything but the buffet.  We have seen buffet tables used by card players, knitting groups, mahjong, etc.  Meanwhile, other cruisers who simply want to eat breakfast or lunch cannot find a seat!  If there was ever to be some kind of proper buffet etiquette we think it should be that those not eating leave the tables for those who want to eat.

Hank 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

I do not really like the term "buffet etiquette"  because much of it is common sense.  We do think that all persons should be polite, well mannered, and reasonable when they deal with onboard buffets.   The biggest problem we have seen in cruise ship buffets are folks that cut into lines, do not follow reasonable health precautions (we have seen folks taste something and put the rest back), etc.  As to taking food out of Lido, such as back to your cabin, it is quite OK.  You have paid to be on the ship, paid for the buffet, and if you want to enjoy some of the items in your cabin that bless you :).  

As to taking it "outside" to eat that is a silly issue.  Many ship buffets have overflow seating areas outside of the immediate buffet area.  For example, on all the HAL vessels there are tables set up at the pool area where folks can sit after bringing food out of the buffet.  It is the same on Celebrity and even on most Princess ships.  Perhaps this would not be necessary except for the fact that many cruisers decide to "hang out" in the Lido buffets and use tables for everything but the buffet.  We have seen buffet tables used by card players, knitting groups, mahjong, etc.  Meanwhile, other cruisers who simply want to eat breakfast or lunch cannot find a seat!  If there was ever to be some kind of proper buffet etiquette we think it should be that those not eating leave the tables for those who want to eat.

Hank 

I'll admit we're ones who've played cards in the Lido buffet.  But we've always made sure there were lots of tables (not at mealtime).  The point being, there's not a lot of tables available that are "card playing height" except in the buffet for individual players (not organized bridge players).  We're kinda limited where we can play.

Edited by Shmoo here

Last night tradition, going to buffet and loading plate bread, cold cuts, condiments and a couple of deserts. 

However, have seen pax loading plates and purses with EVERYTHING possible on the first day.

Hi

Most of the time, references about buffet etiquette are referring to cutting in line, licking the common spoon, putting back something you have already nibbled at. You know, the general yucky things some people might do, most are considered rude. 

Binging foods to eat or drink to other areas of the ship, such as your cabin, or a secluded nook, is not frowned upon on any of the mainstream cruise lines. Of course it is up to you to be responsible for any mess you make. Also don't make a sandwich to go for one of your pots of call. I believe they do not appreciate this kind of behavior at your neighborhood buffet. So keep it on the ship. 

hope this helps

Several posters have mentioned cutting in line as rude.  Disney actually encouraged this practice when we sailed on the Dream..

As for card or game  players monopolizing a buffet table, don't most cruise lines have a set aside card/game room or library where they can play?

36 minutes ago, evandbob said:

Several posters have mentioned cutting in line as rude.  Disney actually encouraged this practice when we sailed on the Dream..

As for card or game  players monopolizing a buffet table, don't most cruise lines have a set aside card/game room or library where they can play?

Well, on Disney, it's not really "line cutting" as the buffet is set up as stations, you move from station to station in whatever order you wish.

All ships I've been on do often have a room set aside for bridge players.  But try asking a room full of bridge players if you can use one of the unused tables in the room for anything other than bridge and the answer is usually "no".  

Also, on Princess, we've been allowed to use the extra cost dining venue.  It's generally available for a couple of hours in the early/mid afternoon.  But they also use that space for classes sometimes, as well as private functions, so it's not available every day.

15 hours ago, Hlitner said:

The biggest problem we have seen in cruise ship buffets are...folks taste something and put the rest back

Once, while on Celebrity Reflection, I was in line at the salad bar and the woman ahead of me sneezed a BIG sneeze all over the salad items!!  Then she just kept loading her plate!  I was shocked and told her that it was disgusting....she acted all defensive.  I quickly told a worker and they had to clear out ALL the food and replace it (hopefully with new items....😲).  Some people are so rude and gross.

Another pet peeve is people who put trays or plates out in the hall to get them out of their cabin....the hallways are narrow enough without leaving dirty dishes and old food sitting there for people to dodge, step on or trip over.  Quite gross.  It's also done in hotels and is equally rude.

23 minutes ago, Go-Bucks! said:

Another pet peeve is people who put trays or plates out in the hall to get them out of their cabin....the hallways are narrow enough without leaving dirty dishes and old food sitting there for people to dodge, step on or trip over.  Quite gross.  It's also done in hotels and is equally rude.

Some cruise lines and many hotels advise guests to put used trays and plates outside the room to be collected. Even John Heald, Carnival's Cruise Director, advises Carnival passengers to do exactly that:

"....we do prefer you to place your room service trays outside of your cabin door as soon as you have finished with them. This way we can get them collected quickly, washed and cleaned and back into service. "

How is it rude to follow the cruise line's or hotel's instructions? 

Edited by sloopsailor

6 minutes ago, sloopsailor said:

How is it rude to follow the cruise line's or hotel's instructions? 

You'd probably think it's rude if you stepped into someone's plate of old food or you tripped over a tray of plates and hurt yourself.  Doesn't matter what Heald says....nasty old food sitting on the floor in a public area is gross.

19 minutes ago, Go-Bucks! said:

You'd probably think it's rude if you stepped into someone's plate of old food or you tripped over a tray of plates and hurt yourself.  Doesn't matter what Heald says....nasty old food sitting on the floor in a public area is gross.

Simple solution to your problems - watch where you walk. If the cruise lines tell me to put them out, I will put them out. If you have issues with that, talk to the cruise lines and hotel management about changing their policies instead of insulting people by calling them rude for doing what they are instructed to do. 

Edited by sloopsailor

2 minutes ago, sloopsailor said:

Simple solution to your problems - watch where you walk. If the cruise lines tell me to put them out, I will put them out. If you have issues with that, talk to the cruise lines and hotel management about changing their policies instead of insulting people by calling them rude for doing what they are instructed to do. 

Can be easier said than done on a moving ship!  😂    

And I stand by my opinion of those who don't think of how their behavior affects others....not matter what the "official" rule says.  And I seriously doubt that all cruiselines have a silly rule of putting filthy dishes in a hallway.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Go-Bucks! said:

Can be easier said than done on a moving ship!  😂    

And I stand by my opinion of those who don't think of how their behavior affects others....not matter what the "official" rule says.  And I seriously doubt that all cruiselines have a silly rule of putting filthy dishes in a hallway.

So, if we follow instructions and put them out, we are somehow exhibiting bad behavior. Does that mean by your rules, if we hogged pool lounges or theater seats, would we then be exhibiting good behavior since we wouldn't be following instructions there as well? 

Thanks for instructing us to do the opposite of what we are told to do. I guess we should also do the opposite of what you are telling us to do, correct?  :classic_rolleyes:

6 hours ago, Nic6318 said:

Hi

Most of the time, references about buffet etiquette are referring to cutting in line, licking the common spoon, putting back something you have already nibbled at. You know, the general yucky things some people might do, most are considered rude. 

Binging foods to eat or drink to other areas of the ship, such as your cabin, or a secluded nook, is not frowned upon on any of the mainstream cruise lines. Of course it is up to you to be responsible for any mess you make. Also don't make a sandwich to go for one of your pots of call. I believe they do not appreciate this kind of behavior at your neighborhood buffet. So keep it on the ship. 

hope this helps

I cut in line all the time.  Not really "cut in" but often the line moves really slowly because some people take forever to decide what and how much of each item they want when I know exactly what I want.  I am polite about at and I say "excuse me" but a just quickly go in, grab the one item that I want and then get out of line.  Nobody ever says no when  I do this.

DON

I think putting plates and trays in the corridor is technically a violation of  International Safety Regulations (SOLAS (Part D Regulation 13) ) which prohibit anything in the corridors that can impede evacuation in an emergency.  That is one reason why cruise lines have cracked down on cruisers leaving scooters or wheelchairs outside their cabin.  The irony is that if there happened to be any kind of inspection happening on the ship they would be written-up for allowing any unattended item in the corridors.  All the corridors are technically (under SOLAS) considered "Escape Routes" and must be maintained in a safe condition and clear of obstacles.  Whether or not Mr. Heald actually told passengers to put stuff in the corridors, it would have been deemed as a safety violation.

Hank

Have to agree with Go-Bucks and Hlitner.  Regardless of what this CEO may have proclaimed, let's try for a modicum of common sense. Yes, trays are commonly left outside room doors in hotels. And those hallways are usually twice the width of your average cruise ship hallway.  And I wager they seldom are moving sufficiently to affect ones balance while  also having to negotiate around said trays. Try walking these corridors with a cane or walker, or using a wheelchair or scooter while passing guests travelling in the opposite direction AND dodging around those blasted trays on either side of the hallway. And then tell me that putting the trays outside the room is the sensible, safe  thing to do. 

Edited by mom says

33 minutes ago, donaldsc said:

I cut in line all the time.  I say "excuse me" but a just quickly go in, grab the one item that I want and then get out of line. 

Just because you happen to say 'excuse me' prior to cutting in line doesn't 'excuse' the behavior, it is still rude IMO.

If it were me that you cut in front of, I would 'politely' ask you to get in line like everyone else. Doesn't matter that you 'know exactly what you want'. So do many of the other folks patiently waiting their turn in line.

I often take food from the buffet back to my cabin particularly at breakfast.  I'd rather my wife and I enjoy our morning meal on the balcony.  I consider it a far more appealing place to dine than the buffet dining room which can, at times, be a somewhat unappetizing environment. 

I also leave trays in the corridor when the meal is completed. It has never been mentioned by the crew that this was not acceptable. Whether a fellow passenger regards it as "rude" is inconsequential. 

• Like 1