Considering a wifi package. Anyone done the unlimited plan? Worth $400?

milokama

I'm thinking of pre purchasing a 2 device unlimited internet package for my 14-day cruise.  Its almost $400 for 2 devices.

In the past I have read that the internet was slow and not worth the purchase price.... this was several years back.

Anyone who would have an insight as to the current state of Celebrity wifi, I would certainly appreciate your feedback.

Worth it or not is subjective.  It is slower than home WIFI but if you want to stay connected then you should buy it.  We always buy the unlimited WIFI package for 2 devices.  Sometimes there is a limited period discount.  For our upcoming cruise, it is usually $431 for 2 devices but during a promo period, it came down to $345.  We bought it but in the end cancelled when we upgraded to a suite which came with 4 perks.

9 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

Unless you plan to be online at the same time, a one device plan would be less expensive.  I got the one device plan for 9 days on Equinox (with Captain's Club Elite discount) for $157.  It was worth it to me.  EM

. This Is my first Elite cruise with Celebrity.  I leave this wednesday.  The internet on the website today is 143.00 for 1 device for the 4 day cruise.  Do you know what the discount is for Elite onboard? ( I know we get 90 min free, is that per day or once on the cruise?)

The  complimentary Elite internet package is 90 minutes for the cruise.  You don't have to use it all at once.  The time is only calculated for the time you are "connected".  You just need to remember to logout.  We find this is plenty of time to login, download our new mail/texts, logout.  Then read and compose any replies, log back in and send then logout at least once per day with plenty of time to do online checkin for the return flight home.

Remember it's also 90 min per Elite guest, so if you are double occupancy and both are Elite you will hae 180 total minutes.

14 minutes ago, wrk2cruise said:

The  complimentary Elite internet package is 90 minutes for the cruise.  You don't have to use it all at once.  The time is only calculated for the time you are "connected".  You just need to remember to logout.  We find this is plenty of time to login, download our new mail/texts, logout.  Then read and compose any replies, log back in and send then logout at least once per day with plenty of time to do online checkin for the return flight home.

Remember it's also 90 min per Elite guest, so if you are double occupancy and both are Elite you will hae 180 total minutes.

Oh awesome!!  This is definitely enough time for us to call home and check on our pooch!  : )  Thanks you!!

We have never had issues with it as long as you understand it's not as fast as your home WiFi and at peak times and particular spots in the ship may have no service at all. If you had to have two devices connected at the same time, I would look into adding all 4 perks if possible or just do a single device plan. 

It's useless for streaming but if all you need is email and social media it's fine most of the time.  Right after a port stop its often really slow as everyone is posting stuff on facebook/Instagram.  The best time is early morning or late night if you need some speed.  I don't think it's worth it unless you need it for work.  Plenty of free wifi in ports and the free elite 90 min is enough for me.  And you really should not need a two device package.  With a single package you can use as many devices as you want but only one device at a time can be connected.

1 hour ago, Turtles06 said:

I agree with others, unless you have a genuine need for two people to be connected at the same time, the two-device plan is unnecessary and needlessly expensive.  

Agreed.  We get the one device unlimited plan which we can share as long as we aren't logged on at the same time.  

Yea, very subjective. We had our 90 min free internet (each) on a  recent 10 day cruise and only used about 70 minutes.  Didn't even touch my free internet.  So for us, no.  And yes, we have a business but would log on, download emails and logoff.  Offline we would answer any we had to then login and send.  I get the internet pretty much every where now a days, don't really need on a ship.  We would download emails and check social media in the ports but really, only because it was there and free.  Just look for a lot of people sitting around looking at their phones -lol

But, everyone has different priorities so only you can decide.

Edited by Duanerice1

Some things to consider..

if two people, you don’t necessarily need a two devise plan. If only one logged in at a time, one devise plan may suffice.

in my experience, the price quoted on website for an unl8mited plan already includes any status discount.

speed is VERY slow during at times...if you buy a minute based plan, you may find it getting used up more quick than you might expect.

watch for package discounts...when we sailed RCL, there were significant price drops so we bought a two devise unlimited plan.

we always opt for the unlimited plan and watch prices to determine whether one devise or two.

I've used the unlimited plan while on board. Internet access on Celebrity has improved a bit since Xcelerate was introduced in April 2016. As others indicated, speeds are slower, and have no expectation to stream reliably. At times I experienced no connectivity at all, not sure if due to location of the ship. With the unlimited plan, it is nice to be connected all the time, and use my devices similarly like when I'm home, when I use the internet a lot.

Speed is subjective dependant on what you’re used to at home. We never drop below 210MB even on my iPad so the WiFi on board just drove me crazy and I ended up just giving up in frustration half the time. I’m guessing onboard you are lucky to hit 10MB.

Edited by yorky

5 hours ago, Gambler458 said:

. This Is my first Elite cruise with Celebrity.  I leave this wednesday.  The internet on the website today is 143.00 for 1 device for the 4 day cruise.  Do you know what the discount is for Elite onboard? ( I know we get 90 min free, is that per day or once on the cruise?)

For elite you will get a 30% discount or 90 minutes free.  When you create your account it will give you the choice as well as pricing for 2, 3 or 4 devices. 

I always get the unlimited package.   As others said I would limit myself to 1 device.   You can log on multiple devices but only one at a time.  If the other person has not logged off it give you the option of logging them off and you on.   When we don't have 2 free internet accounts (Suite - GoBest), we live quite well with one account.   

My understanding is that the cost of a second account is 50% discount off the full price. 

15 hours ago, milokama said:

I'm thinking of pre purchasing a 2 device unlimited internet package for my 14-day cruise.  Its almost $400 for 2 devices.

In the past I have read that the internet was slow and not worth the purchase price.... this was several years back.

Anyone who would have an insight as to the current state of Celebrity wifi, I would certainly appreciate your feedback.

It’s a rip off .  And slow.   Go ashore and use free WiFi instead.

Good luck.

Edited by Kingofcool1947

We had the complimentary wifi on our vancouver to hawaii cruise, I was impressed how well it worked, since we were in the middle of no where, I was using Internet, email and uploading pictures.

However, I would never buy it, as I would not use it often enough, and could wait to get free wifi, in port, or use my data package on my phone

What would anyone pay $400 for unlimited WiFi?  Can’t imagine anyone being so important that they need to be on the phone or computer that much.  The first thing we do we we get to cabin is put the phone in airplane mode and put it,in the safe.  12 days later we take it out. 

17 minutes ago, PoppyandNana said:

What would anyone pay $400 for unlimited WiFi?  Can’t imagine anyone being so important that they need to be on the phone or computer that much.  The first thing we do we we get to cabin is put the phone in airplane mode and put it,in the safe.  12 days later we take it out. 

Because they want WiFi?   

Just because you can't imagine doesn't mean they agree.  Just because you put your phone on airplane mode on a ship doesn't mean others have to do it too.  

• Like 1