Collapsible chair?

LokiPoki

Anyone know what constitutes a “collapsible” chair as far as cruise lines are concerned? 

A couple of friends have persuaded me to join them on a cruise next year. Cruise is quite heavy on tender ports, which doesn’t concern me - I’m familiar with most of them, and have had no problem tendering in the past. Concern is that P&O (with whom I’ve not cruised before) state that a chair must be collapsible in order to tender. Until now I have travelled with a folding chair, but as I use a rigid backrest and freewheel, crew (Princess) have always lifted it across without folding it. Current chair is falling apart and now completely the wrong shape/balance for my body, and I’m waiting on a new rigid frame chair - so doesn’t fold down the middle, but has a collapsible/removable backrest and quick-release wheels. By my definition, the rigid frame means it’s not a “folding chair” but as it can be “collapsed” into easily managed components, it’s “collapsible” (also weighs a grand total of about 5kg, compared with my current which is about 12kg) - but P&O customer service have offered me lots of “I’ll have to check and get back to you”, with zero follow up. 

Only reason I’d bother spending money on the current one to replace components is if it’s going to be essential for travel, so am interested to hear what others have experienced given that P&O don’t seem inclined to give me an answer. 

Your rigid frame chair is still considered "collapsible" as long as it has a folding back and quick release wheels. Are you also taking your FreeWheel?  As long as you can easily remove this, I don't see this as a problem.

• Thanks 1

Thanks Splinter, 

That’s what I figured (and particularly as it’s so much lighter and easier for someone else to move if need be, I couldn’t see a problem), but it’s now a few weeks since I made contact with P&O to check and they don’t seem inclined to answer. 

Yes, will be taking the Freewheel - also much easier to use on rigid chair as it just clips onto the footplate rather than having to mess about with an adaptor bar as I do now. 

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Bloodgem, 

Haven’t tried that particular email - only P&O Australia’s general email, as I couldn’t find a special needs specific email address for them - was them just coming back with the “it had to be collapsible” response, but I might see if I can get anywhere with the address you posted. I’m sure the policies can’t differ too much across the group. 

• 1 month later...

I am a full time wheelchair user and also use a rigid chair, I had to look up the "Freewheel" I don't think I would want to increase the length of the chair with one of those and increase your turning radius, especially on a ship. I think I would be taking people out left and right

Thanks Glenn -

Not concerned about the Freewheel as I just unclip it and sling it on the back of the chair in crowded areas (I’d be taking people out all over too as although I’m very careful, people don’t seem to look below their own eye level) - mentioned it only because of the way it attaches to a folding chair - with an additional ‘T’ bar that clamps under the chair, vs clipping onto the footplate on a rigid chair. The T prevents the chair being folded - as does my backrest - and that has never proven an issue for tender crew...hence wondered whether a rigid frame chair would pose problems. 

Hopefully that makes sense. It’s been a long week!