Bliss Diversion

TheDougOut

Shortly after the announcement was made, we went down to see if there was any chaos going on at guest services.  Surprisingly, it wasn’t bad... maybe 10 people in line to gripe.

The highlight was two young guys, blowing up with the fact they paid for Mexico and are now being forced to go to San Francisco.  “Who the hell wants to go there?”  He said if he doesn’t get compensated, he’s going to fake a heart attack so he can get off the ship and have insurance cover it.  Fun guy.

We were seated in the DBH when the announcement came, and the place erupted with cheers.  My better half gets to spend her bday in one of my favorite cities.

001B0153-9150-4755-8BD8-80AFB176FCD8.jpeg

• Like 3

That adjusted itinerary is awful! I would NOT be happy with San Diego and San Fran over Cabo and Puerta Vallarta. Why would people cheer for that? They've made some adjustments to our March sailing on the BLiss for the Panama Canal which included the addition of Cabo. I would not be happy at all but do realize that the weather is what it is. 

I would not be very happy with the change, but mostly because I got to SF all the time since it's only about an hour from home. I wonder if the weather will affect next weeks sailing too. Either way I am more on this cruise for the ship than the ports. 

What's you plan in SF? 

That’s a bummer for those hoping to go to Mexico this week, but selfishly I’m pretty excited. We were on the Bliss 3 weeks ago and I am going through some pretty major Bliss withdrawals!  So excited to hear she will be in my town Wednesday.  Think I might have to swing by and say hi on my lunch hour. 

Dougout – please say you are doing a live report of this trip!!  Yours are the best!  (Your Bliss TA was what convinced hubby to take the Pacific Coastal we recently returned from.)  I need to live vicariously through you this week as I’m pretty entrenched in the day-to-day of real life and could really use a diversion.  Ha! Ha!  I’m sure I’m not the only one! J

5 minutes ago, need2cruisesoon said:

All we got was $100OBC

I wasn’t even aware of a hurricane/tropical storm in the area.  Looks like the storm will hit early this week. Wonder how soon to departure they’ll make their final decision.  Not impressed with this compensation 

So long as weather exists, itinerary changes will happen.  As to why people cheered... we went from the unknown to finding out we’ll be visiting a great city.  Most of the people I’ve interacted with are looking forward to the stop.  This obviously isn’t a great change for those passengers from the area.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I can't wait for the Bliss to stop in San Diego.  We'll be on the Joy in May.  I'm going to have to go down and see it.  San Diego has  the best beer scene in the country.  There are 178 craft brewers in the county.  There are some great brewery's with in walking distance of the pier, Karl Strauss on Columbia St. One of the first in city.  Bolt brewing in little Italy.  And of course Stone Brewing in Liberty Station(Uber)

What ever you do Welcome an Enjoy San Diego.

This is the second Hurricane in the Mexican  riviera this month .  The October 5 sailing had to Cancel Mazatlan and go to Cabo 1 day early as Hurricane Sergio would have been in the way if we were in Cabo as originally Scheduled. The Captain announced the change when we arrived in to Peurto Vallarta

Not sure why people would get or expect compensation for a itinerary change because of weather. If they didn't change and something happened they would be sued up the ying yang. Weather issues are not the fault of the cruise lines. It sucks, but it is what it is. Only God can control the weather

• Like 5

BTW this is exactly why I purchased the Nationwide Luxury Cruise insurance. If you got that insurance, you would be paid 1250.00/person for the change. My Jan Escape cruise just switched our itinerary and now we will each get 1250.00 for the change. There are 6 people on my policy. Purchase that insurance next time and you will be much happier about the weather change 🙂

2 hours ago, cathi007 said:

BTW this is exactly why I purchased the Nationwide Luxury Cruise insurance. If you got that insurance, you would be paid 1250.00/person for the change. My Jan Escape cruise just switched our itinerary and now we will each get 1250.00 for the change. There are 6 people on my policy. Purchase that insurance next time and you will be much happier about the weather change 🙂

If I might ask, what was the change on the Jan escape cruise...

I’ve never heard of this insurance.  I’ll need to check it out for the next cruise.  Thanks 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, aggiesmom said:

We are sailing out on Saturday the 27th.  Haven’t seen any notifications from NCL regarding g a change.   We will be very upset if there is this kind of itinerary change and no compensation 

Why would you expect compensation for an itinerary change? The contract says that NCL can take you anywhere they want. If you were to get any compensation it would be a refund in port fees if they are too high.

• Like 2

You need to read your policy carefully. The limit of recovery is $1250, but that doesn't mean that you get paid just because the itinerary changes, you still have to suffer a loss.

Just now, zqvol said:

You need to read your policy carefully. The limit of recovery is $1250, but that doesn't mean that you get paid just because the itinerary changes, you still have to suffer a loss.

NO not true. Here is a copy from another poster who collected. I have already talked to the people at Nationwide, it is in my policy. A documented itinerary change before sailing with the Luxury plan pays 1250.00/person. I live in CT, some people in certain states can't get that insurance, but I was able to. Here is the other poster's post

"As soon as you get home, give them a call. We found Nationwide to be very open and honest about what they will pay. While not the same as yours, last year when the hurricanes destroyed the islands we had a policy that paid $1250.00 pp if our itinerary was changed before we ever set sail. Weeks before we knew things were going to be different so we called and asked them exactly what they were going to need. It was simple, prove that we still took the cruise (our final bill), a copy of our original itinerary and a copy of the new itinerary showing that we were notified before we sailed. So they were very easy to deal with

If your policy allows for late departure then you have the right to claim it."

7 hours ago, tallnthensome said:

That adjusted itinerary is awful! I would NOT be happy with San Diego and San Fran over Cabo and Puerta Vallarta. Why would people cheer for that? They've made some adjustments to our March sailing on the BLiss for the Panama Canal which included the addition of Cabo. I would not be happy at all but do realize that the weather is what it is. 

The alternative as sailing into a mega hurricane. 

• Like 1

And here was his reply when I asked him if he collected, because I too, was skeptical

"Yes, they paid it. We had used our original edocs as proof where we were supposed to go and them email NCL sent out a couple weeks prior. That was proof of change. The only thing else they wanted was proof we went on the cruise so we sent our final on board account bill.

Once we got home they emailed us the forms to fill out and sign and we faxed it back. Had 2 checks in the mail about 10 days later for $1250 each.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk"