Eurodam Mexico Diverted Oct. 21

rj42

About to get off the Eurodam. The Captain announced that since Hurricane Willa is forecast to hit Mazatlan and Puerto Vallarta this week, they’re changing the itinerary to SF, San Pedro, Catalina, and Ensenada for the Mexico 7-day leaving October 21.

The ship also suddenly tilted severely this morning at 05:30, with crashing heard from destroyed plates and glasses in the dining rooms. To add  insult to injury, they’re getting a surprise CDC inspection. 

11 minutes ago, rj42 said:

About to get off the Eurodam. The Captain announced that since Hurricane Willa is forecast to hit Mazatlan and Puerto Vallarta this week, they’re changing the itinerary to SF, San Pedro, Catalina, and Ensenada for the Mexico 7-day leaving October 21.

The ship also suddenly tilted severely this morning at 05:30, with crashing heard from destroyed plates and glasses in the dining rooms. To add  insult to injury, they’re getting a surprise CDC inspection. 

Wow.....!!!!

Ensenada, B.C., Avalon, Catalina Island, and San Pedro (L.A.), the latter in the case of ships originating in San Diego, have always been the "diversion ports" when weather is threatening the Mexican Riviera. San Francisco is a very nice addition to those! Btw, Ensenada has done a nice job with their new cruise ship pier compared to the "old days" 

Image result for Ensenada cruise ship pier

Ensenada, Baja California, Mexico

23 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Any idea what caused the incident.  Was it stormy, rogue wave, etc?  Other than likely making Ensenada mostly a "sea day" I like the new itinerary.

Roy

Could have been a sudden burst of strong wind when EUDM made her turn to the east near the San Diego pilot station with her stabilizers housed, Roy

10 minutes ago, LagunaLiving said:

I have family currently on board. They were told by crew it was to avoid hitting another vessel.

We had a similar early am huge shudder and use of what sounded like the thrusters that shook us out of bed around 3am coming into our final stops in French Polynesia on the Maasdam - it felt and sounded like  the captain needed to suddenly avoid something.

We speculated it might have been a whale or perhaps a fishing boat in the area.  Never experienced that before.  Nor was their any mention the next day - others when we asked about it were not even aware of it happening. We were in the very aft section so perhsps it was more noticeable there. 

Hope we learn more.

Edited by OlsSalt

1 hour ago, Copper10-8 said:

Ensenada, B.C., Avalon, Catalina Island, and San Pedro (L.A.), the latter in the case of ships originating in San Diego, have always been the "diversion ports" when weather is threatening the Mexican Riviera. San Francisco is a very nice addition to those! Btw, Ensenada has done a nice job with their new cruise ship pier compared to the "old days" 

Image result for Ensenada cruise ship pier

Ensenada, Baja California, Mexico

Do you mean that San Francisco has been added to the alternate ports if one sails out of San Diego?  I am stressing now as we are booked on the Eurodam for Nov.4th. It doesn't sound very appealing to dock in Los Angeles etc Maybe I am wrong and those ports will be fine, but it doesn't sound very tropical as we are looking forward to hot temperatures on our cruise.  I guess better than the cruisers back east who were going to Bermuda and wound up in Halifax.

1 minute ago, Tinker's mom said:

Do you mean that San Francisco has been added to the alternate ports if one sails out of San Diego?  I am stressing now as we are booked on the Eurodam for Nov.4th. It doesn't sound very appealing to dock in Los Angeles etc Maybe I am wrong and those ports will be fine, but it doesn't sound very tropical as we are looking forward to hot temperatures on our cruise.  I guess better than the cruisers back east who were going to Bermuda and wound up in Halifax.

Nope, I'm saying that, according to the OP, SF has been added to this particular EUDM cruise leaving SD todaywhich is a very nice addition. By Nov 4, Hurricane Willa is projected long gone from the coast but then there's TS Vicente on her heels; don't know what he's going to do as of yet!

You're correct about San Pedro not being a very aesthetically pleasing port and there is nada to do in its vicinity (unless you're into visiting the USS Iowa). Having said that, the weather is fine in L.A. and they do have shore excursions to other sights in, or near, the city of Angels. Catalina Island is worth a visit

Hurricane Willa update:

cone graphic

Copper 10-8 Thanks for clarifying.  I appreciate it. SF would be nice if we had to divert. My husband would like visiting the USS Iowa in Los Angeles if that becomes a reality.  We have a Cabana Retreat booked so we can pretend we are in the tropics. Lay back and eat the chocolate covered strawberries and read.  Any holiday is wonderful to break up the monotony of home.  Fingers crossed that tropical storm Vincente just fades away.

11 minutes ago, Tinker's mom said:

Copper 10-8 Thanks for clarifying.  I appreciate it. SF would be nice if we had to divert. My husband would like visiting the USS Iowa in Los Angeles if that becomes a reality.  We have a Cabana Retreat booked so we can pretend we are in the tropics. Lay back and eat the chocolate covered strawberries and read.  Any holiday is wonderful to break up the monotony of home.  Fingers crossed that tropical storm Vincente just fades away.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you on TS Vicente, Tinker's mom!

Edited by Copper10-8

31 minutes ago, Tinker's mom said:

Are you on the cruise today?  San Pedro is a frequently used Crystal port and the Iowa is probably less than a 10-mnute walk.  SF also has a lovely new cruise terminal and I think is quite well located.

Roy

1 minute ago, rafinmd said:

Are you on the cruise today?  San Pedro is a frequently used Crystal port and the Iowa is probably less than a 10-mnute walk.  SF also has a lovely new cruise terminal and I think is quite well located.

Roy

One of the nice things about the four-year old cruise ship pier in SF (James R. Herman Cruise Terminal/Pier 27) is that it is a stop (in the parking lot) for the SF Hop on Hop off bus

16 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Roy

Hi, No we are cruising on the Eurodam on Nov.4th.  Just discussing the what if's re: hurricane season. SF would be a lovely substitution if it happens. San Pedro doesn't sound too bad either.

Wow, also on Nov. 4 so hopefully will slip in between the storm systems.  We really wanted to do snorkeling and sightseeing in the Mexican Riviera  so crossed fingers.  I also have no desire to go to LA or SF on this trip and Catalina is very nice but I've been and don't want to return as part of a mass cruise group.

27 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

One of the nice things about the four-year old cruise ship pier in SF (James R. Herman Cruise Terminal/Pier 27) is that it is a stop (in the parking lot) for the SF Hop on Hop off bus

That's helpful information, John.  I am considering a late season Alaska cruise connected to a trans-Canal cruise and San Francisco is a port stop.  

6 minutes ago, KroozNut said:

Copper, admittedly a bit off topic, but do you know who the current Captain and CD are for Eurodam, and if they will still be onboard through December?

We're on Eurodam to the MR Dec 9-16.

Thanks!

Check Captain Albert's blog.  He recently updated the assignments before he went on vacation a few days ago.

9 minutes ago, KroozNut said:

Copper, admittedly a bit off topic, but do you know who the current Captain and CD are for Eurodam, and if they will still be onboard through December?

We're on Eurodam to the MR Dec 9-16.

Thanks!

Current EUDM Capt. is John Scott. He'll be there until the day you board. You'll probably get Capt. Eric Barhorst; young guy and another good one! Current CD is Towanna Stone. CD for Dec is still unk