Downloaded Netflix and Amazon Prime shows

kinshasa

On the  QM2 transatlantic cruise, will I be able to access my downloaded shows offline? I can't imagine why not.  I heard that if you use a VPN masking app you can access the entire catalog, but I've never tried that.  Plus I don't want to use wi fi minutes if it's unnecessary.  

I am afraid I don't quite understand the question. If you have already downloaded a show on your device you can watch it off line. You can use a VPN for security, but there is not sufficient bandwidth to down load new shows or to use skype or other high bandwidth services. Cunard will block you. 

Yes you will be able to watch your downloaded shows without any problems while you cross the Atlantic. You will not be able to download or watch any new shows during the crossing hence no need for VPN as WiFi onboard is not strong enough.        

Amazon Prime give you a 48 hour window to watch any downloaded show. So once you click on it it will tell you “offline watch mode” you now have 48h to finish this particular show.

On a separate note Netflix blocked VPN about a year ago. Hence you cannot hide which country you are in with them once you get to the US. Unlike say BBC Iplayer when you are in New York you can use VPN to trick them into thinking you are in the UK. Netflix will however allow you to access the American offering on Netflix when in New York. If you want to guarantee access to all your Netflix shows you need to stay off the satellite WiFi offered onboard. 

On 10/21/2018 at 3:48 PM, EJMcruiser said:

On a separate note Netflix blocked VPN about a year ago. Hence you cannot hide which country you are in with them once you get to the US.

I have a VPN on my home network, which might escape Netflix's notice* (I think they maintain a database of the big commercial VPN services and block traffic coming thru them).

On the other hand, I can connect to my US Netflix account in Europe or the UK and browse the catalog available to customers in that country. I binged the first season of Fargo on Netflix in Ireland before it was available on Netflix in the US.

*I just checked and it works via my VPN, although the bandwidth isn't the greatest...

Edited by Underwatr