Solo Cruising over Christmas and New Years

TrachTraveler

Just wondering if any other solo travelers have cruised over the Christmas/New Year holidays, particularly on a Viking Ocean cruise, and how they found it.  This is my 4th Christmas season without immediate family (only child, childless widowed orphan....not as bleak as that might sound!!!) and I’m trying to find my tradition, finding it awkward to fit into extended family’s traditions.or friends’ traditions.  

Have not sailed on Viking Ocean, but have sailed as a solo on the Zaandam during the Christmas and New Year's holidays.  I enjoyed the experience.  I requested being seated at a large DR table.  I met, and was well accepted by other couples as well as by those sailing with their significant others.  And, I met some other solo cruisers as well.  All were friendly, willing to share a conversation, and enjoy our scenic cruise.  The ship's decorations were beautiful.  (In my home, I have one tree; the Zaandam had one main tree in the Atrium and several others in various public rooms.)  I participated in the varies holiday events:  a carol sing when the ships' Christmas Tree was lighted (accompanied by Hot Chocolate, warm Apple Cider, and Christmas cookies), the arrival of Santa on Christmas morning, and the countdown to the New Year on the 31st.  Also, the ship's crew was in the holiday spirit as well.  

Would I have preferred being with my family during these holidays?  Surely.  But, with half residing in Maryland and half residing in Alaska, that becomes a major impediment.  Like you, I have been blessed with opportunities to share the holiday's with close friends.  But, I finally realized that the time had come for me to develop my personal holiday "traditions".

I've done New Year's cruises the past two years as a solo, and booked the coming two years as well.  I like Norwegian's studio cabins, as it gives me the opportunity to meet other solo travelers.  I've made great friends, some from the first year that cruised the same itinerary the second year, and are booked again this year and next.  Every year we pick up some extra new friends, too.

• 2 weeks later...

I did a New Year cruise once. Expensive, crowded, the ambiance of the subway at rush hour. Never again.

However this was not Viking Ocean. Perhaps if you post on the Viking Ocean board, asking how the demographics change from normal on a holiday cruise.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 10/22/2018 at 12:44 AM, CrankiestOne said:

I've done New Year's cruises the past two years as a solo, and booked the coming two years as well.  I like Norwegian's studio cabins, as it gives me the opportunity to meet other solo travelers.  I've made great friends, some from the first year that cruised the same itinerary the second year, and are booked again this year and next.  Every year we pick up some extra new friends, too.

I’m curious as to what sort of vibe there was for solo cruisers on NCL for a new year’s eve cruise? On my first cruise there was a solo who had done thanksgiving/Christmas previously and found it too family-ish, there were very few actual solos on her cruise. 

I’d probably do one out of New Orleans or Miami if I can get a decent value deal through a travel agent here in Ireland.

I was recently on a Cunard Christmas cruise.  About 100 solo travelers on board - most older and having lost their spouses, or no family around, they frequently cruise as their new 'tradition'....or just flat out say to 'avoid it all'.As long as they had a turkey dinner and plum pudding - that was enough Christmas for them. I met one woman from my home town who said she specifically is looking for her new tradition as it is too complicated at home to make one there.

But, Cunard is not known as a family cruise ship, so these holidays don't mean the same inundation of families that happen on the ships leaving the US.  They did, however, have a great social director for the solos and there were daily morning coffee socials even on port days. They moved the timing early enough to meet and perhaps get people together to do shore visits together. Meals are set dining, and solos were seated together.

To follow up from my original posting...I had a wonderful time on the Viking Star Panama Canal cruise over Christmas and New Years.  I went to the Solo Travelers Get Together the 2nd night (first full day of the cruise) and met some terrific people. A few of us then went on to have dinner together that night, and a few days later those of us who went to the Get Together were invited to dinner at the Captains Table with one of the educational speakers.  Throughout the rest of the cruise there were 4 or 5 of us who seemed to meet up regularly at the Explorers Lounge for pre or post dinner drinks.  A couple of them I am in touch with and will likely meet up with again in the future.  It was a different Christmas, but easier and less lonely than I had expected.

• 3 months later...
On 1/30/2019 at 10:40 PM, eileeshb said:

I’m curious as to what sort of vibe there was for solo cruisers on NCL for a new year’s eve cruise? On my first cruise there was a solo who had done thanksgiving/Christmas previously and found it too family-ish, there were very few actual solos on her cruise. 

I’d probably do one out of New Orleans or Miami if I can get a decent value deal through a travel agent here in Ireland.

I found NYE cruising to be a lot of fun.  There are certainly families on board, but there are a whole lotta people who want to have fun and celebrate the new year.  There are several different NYE festivities for many different types of musical interests.  In the solo cabins we met a lot of single/divorced/no kids or kids with the other parent/etc.  The solo cabins on the ships I've been on have been full.

On 5/6/2019 at 12:37 AM, CrankiestOne said:

I found NYE cruising to be a lot of fun.  There are certainly families on board, but there are a whole lotta people who want to have fun and celebrate the new year.  There are several different NYE festivities for many different types of musical interests.  In the solo cabins we met a lot of single/divorced/no kids or kids with the other parent/etc.  The solo cabins on the ships I've been on have been full.

Great to hear, the studios always seem to be full no matter when you go, there tends to be some adult children or widower grandparents traveling with their families but wanting a cabin to themselves. So while they’re in the studios they’re not actually solos.