Shore excursion to Pompeii

azalice

Celebrity calls it a transfer “on your own” for 3hours and 30 Minutes, meaning it just gets you to Pompeii and back. My DH thinks we can catch an 11 am transfer and then not catch the 2:30 coach trip back to the ship. He thinks we can catch the coach that brought the 1:30 crowd to the site that goes back at 5 pm. I think we have to catch the bus that brought us to the site, which means we go back on the 2:30 bus. I think it is like any other tour and you go back on the bus that brought you. He wants to spend as much time there as possible so I understand what he wants but I think we have to do it independently or privately to spend more time at Pompeii.

We booked nothing yet because we disagree.

2 hours ago, azalice said:

Celebrity calls it a transfer “on your own” for 3hours and 30 Minutes, meaning it just gets you to Pompeii and back. My DH thinks we can catch an 11 am transfer and then not catch the 2:30 coach trip back to the ship. He thinks we can catch the coach that brought the 1:30 crowd to the site that goes back at 5 pm. I think we have to catch the bus that brought us to the site, which means we go back on the 2:30 bus. I think it is like any other tour and you go back on the bus that brought you. He wants to spend as much time there as possible so I understand what he wants but I think we have to do it independently or privately to spend more time at Pompeii.

We booked nothing yet because we disagree.

DH is most certainly wrong! It is not a shuttle service with several bus trips each way. The seats on the 5 pm return are dedicated to those that left at 1:30 pm.

Suggest you either get an independent tour agency to take you or use Celebrity's guided tour if it is longer or also goes to another interesting location. When we were there on a Celebrity excursion we took the day-long tour to both Pompeii and the Amalfi coast.

You are definitely correct. You come back on the shuttle that brought you or you pay for a way back on your own. Coming back on the 1:30 tour bus excursion won't be allowed to happen because those seats were bought by and reserved for those who paid for that tour.

It's easy enough to get to Pompeii and back on your own (assuming your cruise port is Naples):  

Take Tram #1 to Piazza Garibaldi train station (5-10 min.) then the Circumvesuviana train (dest. “Sorrento”) from Porta Nolana to Pompei Scavi (40 min).  Coming back, get off the train at Porta Nolana and then walk through Naples to see the Duomo.

If you want a low-cost guided tour of Pompeii, join the "Rick Steves shared tour" mondoguide.com

More details about how to do this are in the Rick Steves books that cover Naples (e.g. Italy, and Mediterranean Cruise Ports)

Please DO NOT try to miss your return and hijack another!

On your tour, when you don’t return the entire bus will be forced to wait a while thinking you are delayed and not wanting to leave you stranded. This delays and inconveniences everyone else who is on the tour.

On the second tour, you will NOT have a seat available as all will be reserved for the folks on that tour. They will all have numbered, colored stickers that you will not have. I don’t know if you would be allowed to ride standing room only, never seen it happen.

Either return as scheduled or make your own transportation.

if you check your roll call, someone has likely arranged an independent tour that might be what you want.

Ditto those who suggest a private tour, or if adventurous DIYing to Pompeii via public transportation.  We used APTours for a half-day excursion that included Pompeii (private guide was extra $ but worth every cent) and Sorrento, where we opted to be dropped off for lunch and shopping before being met by another APT guide who helped us board the high-speed ferry back to port. Friends who used this service last year reported this was one of the best tours they had on their cruise.

First I would  suggest you visit your "Roll Call" for your cruise.  There may be some folks looking for folks to share a tour` that includes Pompeii.  Being this close and missing the Amalfi Coast would be a shame.  We have visited Pompeii twice and Herculaneum once but have included the Amalfi Coast on the three excursions.  We used "Rome in Limo" tour sharing and it was reasonably priced.  You  can catch a train to Pompeii from Naples which would probably be your most economical method to visit.