Main Dining Room Drinks Menu - Oct 18.2018 Caribbean Princess

GKGKeri

Thank you for posting this.

if this is the same pricing by the glass at Vines, this is a $4 increase from $12 to $16 for the Silverado Cabernet, and excluding it from the Premier Beverage Package.

Also noticed that the 3 oz Errazuriz Late Harvest Sauvignon Blanc dessert wine has doubled in price from $4 to $8!  Wow!  

• 3 weeks later...

This thread has just been brought to my attention.  Thank you, very much, OP, for taking the time and effort.

I know that everybody has old favorites and those may or may not be on this list, but I have to say that, overall, this new list is a substantial improvement.  I also believe that Mrs. XBGuy will be quite pleased.

I am very surprised that they are including the vintage years on this list.  It seems to me that as the ship's inventory of one vintage is depleted and replaced with the subsequent year, the wine list becomes out of date.  I really doubt that many people would send back a 2015 vintage that was presented to them after they ordered the 2014 vintage from the list.  However, yes, some will.  Really no big deal until they come on to Cruise Critic and whine about how Princess tried to bait and switch them.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have been on CC very infrequently since our last cruise and since our next one coming up has had very little Roll Call activity.  This is a very interesting new wine list.  I will have to set some time aside and make up a new spreadsheet comparing these wines with BYOW on board (from Total Wines, for example).  Thank you, OP, for posting this.  Any additional info would be appreciated (such as any additional wines from Specialty Restaurants).

Here are some impressions as I quickly read through once: 

1.  IDK who came up with the often pretentious group headings.  I am not sure I would want to order a wine from a section described as "Perfumed" - seems to me the perfume would mess with the wine's taste.  Then, as they move up through the full-bodied reds, they become "Aristocratic" and even "Noble".  I guess they are going after personality trait groupings - or perhaps they were struggling to find words to go along with the sky-high prices on some bottles.   And the use of "Spicy" makes it seem a rather prominent feature of the wine and not that there may be spicy notes.  Oh well, it was probably some marketing type who decided the wine language needed some spicing up.

2.  The overall selection count seems larger (but I have not counted and compared as yet).  

3.  I think some of the former plonk has been whittled out, so a few less really cheap wines offered at large mark-ups (but the math will really tell the tale).  A lot of new names - and many of them quite recognizable to me, so I already have a pretty good estimate of the mark-up range on those.  I do give some credit here as I think Princess has upped their game in selections (but Canada has no representation while China is in there).  Anyway, it bears more looking and analysis.

4.  A LOT more very pricey choices.  Here's the thing.  Maybe they hope to sell some of these big labels and score some big bucks, but let's face it folks - the food on Princess just isn't up to spending several hundred dollars on a bottle of wine.  Not to knock the food, but it's the same idea on any of the mass market cruise lines anymore.  The only place worth considering would be Crown Grill or one of the special Wine Maker or Chef Table dining nights (but they provide the wine then anyway).  So, a good steak dinner in the CG might spur you on to buy up a big bottle, but IMHO I'd buy that special bottle for myself at home and go with something more reasonable on a ship.  But, they wouldn't order in those wines unless they had a market for them.