Explorer of the Seas or Sun Princess 6 night Sydney to Tasmania

Help please.  I’m going to be visiting friends in Sidney February 2019.  (No flights booked yet) Because I’m flying from Saskatoon Saskatchewan in an attempt to escape the Canadian winter, I’m going to break my rule and stay with my friends for more than 10 days.  We’ve discussed 3 weeks but I would like to break up the visit by taking off on my own for about a week...  I have enjoyed 1 Cruise in the past so thought that a cruise would be a fun option.  2 cruises fit my needs both to Tasmania and seem to be within $100 price difference for a solo traveller.  Explorer of the Seas leaves Sydney on February 9 with an itinerary of Newcastle...Wollongong...at sea ...Hobart ...at sea ... Sydney.  Sun Princess Leaves Sydney on February 17 with an itinerary of at sea... Burnie... Hobart (from 7:30 pm) ...Port Arthur... back to Hobart... at sea Sydney.

so ... my questions 

has anyone taken either of these cruises in the past?  If so did you enjoy the cruise?

does either itinerary seem better than the other?

which ship is “nicer”?

and

which ship would be most solo traveler friendly for a 60 year old woman who isn’t really much of a party animal?

thanks for your help 

I haven't been on Explorer of the Seas so can't comment on that but, in general, Royal Caribbean tends to attract a younger demographic.

I have been on Sun Princess a couple of times and she is one of my favourite ships. She's an older ship but reasonably well maintained. She has a full wrap-around promenade deck that is wide enough for loungers yet still leaving plenty of room for walkers and joggers. Princess usually attracts an older demographic although a short cruise like the Tasmania one may be different. Although you say you aren't a party animal, you might enjoy Crooners which is the main atrium bar, and it's also a pleasant place to sit during the daytime. We're in our 60's and really enjoy cruising on Princess.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mocha'shuman said:

Explorer of the Seas leaves Sydney on February 9 with an itinerary of Newcastle...Wollongong...at sea ...Hobart ...at sea ... Sydney.  Sun Princess Leaves Sydney on February 17 with an itinerary of at sea... Burnie... Hobart (from 7:30 pm) ...Port Arthur... back to Hobart... at sea Sydney.

I agree with OzKiwiJJ's comments. In my opinion, the itinerary for the Sun Princess is better than the Explorer of the Seas. (With apologies to residents of Newcastle and Wollongong) I suggest that Port Arthur is a much better port of call. In Burnie, try to book a tour to Cradle Mountain. It is a long day, but worth it.

• Like 1

I have been on Explorer of the Seas but not Princess. However I agree with the responses you’ve had so far. The Princess itinerary sounds much nicer and from what I’ve heard from friends who’ve travelled on Princess I’m sure you’ll really enjoy it. 

We are "Royal Caribbean people" - we just like the RC experience. We have done 1 long cruise on Princess (actually on Sun), and 2 on Carnival. For a similar itinerary we would choose RC likely every time.

That said, I agree with others that the Sun Princess itinerary is superior to the Explorer one, so on that alone would choose the Sun Princess. Of course we are from Sydney, and can go to Newcastle or Wollongong anytime :classic_smile:

If you enjoy historic sites and gardens google Port Arthur and see if you will like it.

I really enjoyed walking around here and taking photos.  I find Port Arthur fasinating.

I have been on both ships and they are both fine but they do have a different feel to them.

RC will tend to have a younger crowd with parades of costumed entertainers going down the central promenade at 10pm.

While Princess will have a small group of violinists playing in the artium in the afternoon while you sip your coffee.

I agree that the Sun Princess would tend to have an older passenger but having said that, for your date in February there should not be school kids on board anyway, they will be back at school. Have been on Sun Princess and the comments above are generally correct. 

It seems odd that Explorer of the Seas goes north for some way, to Newcastle, before turning south and going past Sydney again on it’s way to Tasmania. 

I will be honest and say that Newcastle and Wollongong are really industrial cities which you could miss. Yes, there are some interesting things to see at some distance inland from both cities, but you really wouldn’t get to see those things in any detail on a one day stop over.