Wine and happy hour princess sun

Hi all

I am going on a cruise around NZ Dec from Sydney 

2 things

any one who has returned, have I just read right that they donot offer happy hour to Australia and NZ cruises

I thought that they did as I have been on Holland and they do a happy hour and thought that Princess did this but just read on a site that not from Aus 

Also did anyone take any notice of the wine prices and if they had wines or were they running out of some, as I am trying to work out if I should just pay the corkage fee. 

I white and red, well red with dinner other wise I like white wine 

thank you in advance for replies 

Princess stopped the happy hours fleet-wide about a year ago.

Wines by the glass start at $8, and I think there may be a couple of wines by the bottle under $30 but most are more expensive. On the last two Princess cruises I've been on the there were problems with wine supplied. One was Royal Princess in the Mediterranean last September which was surprising. The other was the Diamond Princess repositioning cruise up to Japan earlier this year so discovering a few unavailable wines wasn't that surprising. Oddly enough on Diamond it was the more expensive wines that were in short supply. 

9 hours ago, seas are calling said:

Hi all

Also did anyone take any notice of the wine prices and if they had wines or were they running out of some, as I am trying to work out if I should just pay the corkage fee. 

Wines start just under $30. We cruise a lot and occasionally, a particular wine will run out, but we haven't had any problem. If you have a wine you like for around $10 (and there are a lot available at Dan Murphy's for that price), it would be worthwhile to take your own and pay the $15 corkage. The Princess 'rules' state that you should carry the wine on board with you, not check it in with your luggage. If there is a query at the security X-ray, just smile sweetly and say that you will pay the corkage fee.

So far we haven't taken more than the allowable one bottle each (no corkage applies on one each) because for a long time, we have always flown to the embarkation city. It hasn't been worth the bother to take extra bottles. However, on our next cruise, we don't have to fly so will take extra wine with us.

Yes, no more Buy One Get One for $1, (aka 'happy hour) at least not on the Australian based Princess ships, Sea and Sun Princesses.

Take your money with you if you are a wine drinker, not cheap.  We find the best value wines on Princess wine lists are the Chilean ones.  Lubbly Jubbly.

Edited by NSWP

34 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Yes, no more Buy One Get One for $1, (aka 'happy hour) at least not on the Australian based Princess ships, Sea and Sun Princesses.

Take your money with you if you are a wine drinker, not cheap.  We find the best value wines on Princess wine lists are the Chilean ones.  Lubbly Jubbly.

they do have some nice sav blancs.

4 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Wines by the glass start at $8, and I think there may be a couple of wines by the bottle under $30 but most are more expensive. On the last two Princess cruises I've been on the there were problems with wine supplied. One was Royal Princess in the Mediterranean last September which was surprising. The other was the Diamond Princess repositioning cruise up to Japan earlier this year so discovering a few unavailable wines wasn't that surprising. Oddly enough on Diamond it was the more expensive wines that were in short supply. 

Thank you 

4 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Thank you Ozkiwi 

That helps in my working out what to do 

4 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

Wines start just under $30. We cruise a lot and occasionally, a particular wine will run out, but we haven't had any problem. If you have a wine you like for around $10 (and there are a lot available at Dan Murphy's for that price), it would be worthwhile to take your own and pay the $15 corkage. The Princess 'rules' state that you should carry the wine on board with you, not check it in with your luggage. If there is a query at the security X-ray, just smile sweetly and say that you will pay the corkage fee.

So far we haven't taken more than the allowable one bottle each (no corkage applies on one each) because for a long time, we have always flown to the embarkation city. It hasn't been worth the bother to take extra bottles. However, on our next cruise, we don't have to fly so will take extra wine with us.

Thanks Aus Traveller that’s helps me work out what to do 

2 hours ago, NSWP said:

Thanks NSWP that’s  a bit sad but ok, 

We have a bottle of wine with each evening meal, and if I can't afford to pay the difference between taking my own plus $15.00 corkage on top, and what the cruise ship charges, then it's about time we gave up cruising.

4 hours ago, Russell21 said:

We have a bottle of wine with each evening meal, and if I can't afford to pay the difference between taking my own plus $15.00 corkage on top, and what the cruise ship charges, then it's about time we gave up cruising.

I agree and while no one likes being taken for a ride, it is what it is and the convenience of not having to bring my own means I will pay for it, just like for a restaurant anywhere.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Russell21 said:

23 hours ago, Russell21 said:

Why are you having a go at me, my question is to work out if I will be taking wine on board with me, as there have been a few post saying they are running out of wine

I will be taking wines I like and I don’t get head ache from, 

was a simple question re wine and happy hour so I know what to take and how much cash to take to put on our account once we get on board 

Due to the fact that you only have 10 posts indicating that you are new to the forum I will forgive your question. You will get used to the fact that people will make comments on many of the posts, and as you feel that I was having a go at you then you may be a little too delicate for here. You will notice that my post was followed by someone agreeing with me.

1 hour ago, seas are calling said:

Why are you having a go at me, my question is to work out if I will be taking wine on board with me, as there have been a few post saying they are running out of wine

I will be taking wines I like and I don’t get head ache from, 

was a simple question re wine and happy hour so I know what to take and how much cash to take to put on our account once we get on board 

This board takes on a life of its own at times.

A question will be asked and reasonably answered in the first few post, which I believe yours was.  After that all sorts of things can happen.

a prime example is the meat pie thread which went on for another 1000+ posts, some actually related to pies.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com.au/topic/2446323-re-meat-pies/?tab=comments#comment-52611007

Welcome to the board.

On 10/22/2018 at 11:28 PM, seas are calling said:

Hi all

I am going on a cruise around NZ Dec from Sydney 

2 things

any one who has returned, have I just read right that they donot offer happy hour to Australia and NZ cruises

I thought that they did as I have been on Holland and they do a happy hour and thought that Princess did this but just read on a site that not from Aus 

thank you in advance for replies 

Hi there

Your question is valid no matter how many posts you have.

As OZKiwiJJ said above, Happy Hour on Princess ships stopped a while ago, who knows what they have planned for the future.

We usually take our wine on when cruising from Sydney, at least we can drink our preferred red and it works out cheaper, I am all for saving money where we can. I can understand about the headache, I cant drink Cab Sav and Sav Blanc.

We buy a wine package when cruising overseas, a good deal for different level packages, but Princess dont offer them for us Aussies, so bugger you Princess, I will bring my own and pay the corkage until you bring back the package!! 

Seriously though, Princess are one of few cruise lines that do allow you to bring unlimited on and pay the corkage.

Enjoy your cruise!!

14 hours ago, cheznandy said:

Hi there

Your question is valid no matter how many posts you have.

I was not challenging the validity of the post, I was questioning her/his accusation of having a go at them. 

Let me make something quite clear to both you and "seas are calling". If I find reason to have a go at anyone it will be clear, unmistakable, succinct, and quite to the point. My reply to sac was in the same tone as the accusation.