NYC: what time do you go under the bridge

luckyinpa

i know the statue is right there at sailaway from brooklyn but approximately how long until you sail under the bridge?  hope its warm enough to stay outside the entire time but like to plan just in case. 

i was thinking about a walk up to 19 to try to jump and touch it 🙂

1 hour ago, luckyinpa said:

i know the statue is right there at sailaway from brooklyn but approximately how long until you sail under the bridge?  hope its warm enough to stay outside the entire time but like to plan just in case. 

The forecast, unfortunately, is looking quite abysmal at this time. Looks like a N'oreaster is gonna form for our cruise. Bring on the Bonine.

36 minutes ago, releck97 said:

The forecast, unfortunately, is looking quite abysmal at this time. Looks like a N'oreaster is gonna form for our cruise. Bring on the Bonine.

here in PA they cannot even predict snow one day in advance. they've closed all schools and not a drop of snow has fallen the next day. so i only trust weather thats forecast the same day 🙂

2 hours ago, luckyinpa said:

i know the statue is right there at sailaway from brooklyn but approximately how long until you sail under the bridge?  hope its warm enough to stay outside the entire time but like to plan just in case. . . .

Even if it's a sunny day when you depart on the 27th, just the movement of the ship creates a breeze on deck making it feel quite cool.   We sailed out of the NJ port in early Sept. a few years ago and, although it was a beautiful sunny day and fairly warm onshore, I needed a jacket to be comfortable on deck especially as we went under the bridge as the ship was moving pretty fast by then.  So you'll be OK if you're warmly dressed, including gloves.  FYI the sun sets at 5:58 pm the day you sail so hope you have a nice sunset that evening over NYC.

only way to prepare is hope no noreaster. gf is flying from TX on friday to PA on an airline that only has 2 or 3 flights a day. i'm assuming my princess insurance would cover if flight is canceled but of course we really wanna go on the cruise. 

3 hours ago, luckyinpa said:

There is more to see beside the V-bridge from your cruise ship.

Fort Wadsworth (Staten Island)

Fort Hamilton (Brooklyn)

Ellis Island

Governor's Island  (Brooklyn side of the ship, it can be seen)

Hoffman and Swinburne Islands
These two island are just out side the narrows . ( We use to SCUBA dive off them.)
These two small islands will be on right side after you go under the bridge.
Hoffman Island

Swinburne Island
h
Lower Manhattan - Governors Island - Map
Edited by geocruiser
add info
  • Like 1

We live near Sandy Hook, NJ (part of Gateway National Park) and watched the Regal come under the Verrazano this past Saturday.  It was about 5:45pm.  An NCL ship went out first.  Was chilly and windy on the island.   Enjoy your cruise!

11 hours ago, luckyinpa said:

From Brooklyn, it take about a half hour until she sails under the VZ and plays the love boat theme.

On the Regal last year. We passed the Statue of Liberty at 5;31 PM

I do not have a photo of going under the Verrazzano bridge as it was windy,cold and raining.

It was probably close to 5:45 PM.

Lots going on inside.

Howard

Getting the parted started_2235.jpg

Edited by hm9912