Question about specialty restaurants...

lysolqn

Trying to make specialty dining reservations for an upcoming cruise and even though sailing is a couple of months away, there seems to be only very early or very late reservations available for all the restaurants - neither of which works for us.  Pushing forty cruises on X and never encountered this problem.  I'm thinking perhaps they release only a portion of their available slots pre-cruise while holding back a block of reservations for pax to book once onboard.  Any thoughts?  

We just got off the Reflection today.  For the first time I booked a 4 night specialty dining package.  With that booking they cancelled my first night MDR reservation and said they would book "a specialty restaurant" for me for the first night and I could book the rest on board.  As soon as we boarded I went to Murano to ask when and where we were eating that night and make my other three bookings.  The guy there was clueless. First offered me 6:30pm, then "oh, no, 5:30pm or 9pm.  I asked about other nights, other venues and got the same thing.  My next stop was guest relations to cancel my package.  They tried to get me booked, failed and agreed to refund my OBC.  Out Captains Club hostess finally got us one night in the Tuscan Grill that worked and it was nice.  We ended up doing some nice tours with late lunches so most nights we just did the Elite cocktail hour and then did a light bite in the buffet later.  

So, in answer to your question, Yes they are playing games and selling sittings they don't really have and holding back to accomodate some of the package sales but not enough.

We are currently on Infinity and there seemed to be a lot of open times for the Specialty Restaurants for the entire 15 days.  We eat in Luminae, so we do not bother with the Specialty restaurants.  A few nights ago, about 5 days before the end of the cruise, we received a note from then Specialty group that we could eat in Tuscan for the reduced rate of $25.00 pp for the rest of the cruise.  I ope this helps.  Enjoy your cruise

13 hours ago, Mr. Click said:

We just got off the Reflection today.  For the first time I booked a 4 night specialty dining package.  With that booking they cancelled my first night MDR reservation and said they would book "a specialty restaurant" for me for the first night and I could book the rest on board.  As soon as we boarded I went to Murano to ask when and where we were eating that night and make my other three bookings.  The guy there was clueless. First offered me 6:30pm, then "oh, no, 5:30pm or 9pm.  I asked about other nights, other venues and got the same thing.  My next stop was guest relations to cancel my package.  They tried to get me booked, failed and agreed to refund my OBC.  Out Captains Club hostess finally got us one night in the Tuscan Grill that worked and it was nice.  We ended up doing some nice tours with late lunches so most nights we just did the Elite cocktail hour and then did a light bite in the buffet later.  

So, in answer to your question, Yes they are playing games and selling sittings they don't really have and holding back to accomodate some of the package sales but not enough.

Must be something new on selected ships as Murano’s does not usually open until 6 PM. 

So we experienced something similar and helpful cruise critic members directed us to call Captain's Club.  Over the phone they were able to book me into a broader range of restaurants/time availability, so I recommend giving it a try.

On our Equinox cruise last year, we pre-booked a 3 night speciality restaurant package online prior to our cruise to obtain the discount.  When we boarded we went straight to Murano to choose our preferred days and times.  

We were told that most of the slots were already taken and had to settle for 1 booking at Murano at 8.30pm and our 2nd Murano booking at 9.00pm. We were told the only available time at Tuscan Grill on any of the days we wanted was 9.30pm which is too late (even for us who like to eat late) but had no choice but to accept as it was all they had left.

At Murano we deliberately showed up a little early for the 9.00pm booking (we went at 8.40pm) and they were able to accommodate us without any problem.

On the evening we were booked in Tuscan Grill we really wished we hadn’t bothered. We had been ashore all day and 9.30pm was just too late. We decided to take a chance and go just after 9.00pm only to find the restaurant almost empty. When we told them we could not get an earlier reservation as we were told all the other times were fully booked the staff seemed embarrassed and were very apologetic. 

The service was great (by the time our main was served there were more crew than passengers in the restaurant) but we didn’t really enjoy our dinner as we were tired and just wanted to get through as quickly as possible.

After this I am convinced that the best time slots are kept back to maximise sales for passengers interested In booking one onboard and those who pre-book and have already paid are given the times no one else wants☹️

16 hours ago, JennAngel9 said:

So we experienced something similar and helpful cruise critic members directed us to call Captain's Club.  Over the phone they were able to book me into a broader range of restaurants/time availability, so I recommend giving it a try.

Is it possible to make all our reservations for our pre purchased dining package by calling Captains Club ? If so can anyone give me the UK telephone number please. We usually buy a package pre cruise and book onboard but I'm a bit bothered by the comments that time slots are deliberately being held back. 

From what I was told you cannot pre-book any times if you buy a package. You have to book your times once you are onboard.  I talked to our Captains Club hostess about it and she did manage to get us one night in the Tuscan Grill and offered one night in Murano on the last night of our cruise, not the time I want to deal with a long, fancy dinner.  We also talked about the problem being created by selling packages with no ability to book times. She kind of shrugged on that one.  

6 hours ago, simon stingray said:

After this I am convinced that the best time slots are kept back to maximise sales for passengers interested In booking one onboard and those who pre-book and have already paid are given the times no one else wants☹️

I have to agree with you. Prior to my last cruise, I had read on Cruise Critic that the packages (i.e. discounted meals) were allocated to early or late times. When we purchased a three-dinner package onboard last April, we were indeed only permitted to make reservations no earlier than 8:30. We also showed-up 15 minutes or so early and were promptly accommodated. I will certainly consider this situation on my  cruise next month when I am approached, as I inevitably will be, to purchase a package. Reservation time will become a point of negotiation, along with price. 

Gosh, this doesn’t sound good.

I have booked a 4 night specialty package and have been looking forward to trying each of the restaurants.  However, there is no way we will keep the package if our only option for times is after 8pm.  

If this does turn out to be the case, I find this really deceiving on the part of Celebrity.  Perhaps I missed it, but I haven’t noticed anywhere where these packages state that they come with any conditions (other than the first booking will be made for the first night).