Subscribed Threads list - can we have them back please!

26 minutes ago, nearlytheir said:

I am missing the Subscribed Threads list.

The old one used to list 'subscribed threads' in order of activity!

The 'Manage Followed Content' option just isn't the same! 😞 

Stephanie 

I couldn't agree more.  We need that Subscribed Threads, or whatever Cruise Critic chooses to call it, back!

• Like 1

Go to https://boards.cruisecritic.com/discover/?do=create

Select the following options:-

• Show me: Content items only
  • Clicking Unread Items: Take me to the first unread comment
  • Content Types: Topics
  • Read Status: Everything
  • Ownership: Everything
  • Default View: Condensed
  • Following: Only content I follow
  • Time Period: Any time

Enter a name into Stream Title.

Click Save Changes at the bottom of the page.

You can thereafter find this under Activity --> My Activity Streams --> Custom Streams. You can create a shortcut/bookmark with that URL for easy access.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, SciFiGuy1960 said:

Have you tried the Activity tab above and selecting My Activity Streams?

Thanks for that SciFiGuy1960 - IT WORKS! :classic_smile:

BTW 1960 was a very good year :classic_smile:

5 hours ago, Globaliser said:

You can thereafter find this under Activity --> My Activity Streams --> Custom Streams. You can create a shortcut/bookmark with that URL for easy access.

Thanks also for the above Globaliser - I shall give that a go too!  :classic_smile:

Stephanie 

19 hours ago, Globaliser said:

This method works even better than the one suggested by SciFiGuy1960 - THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU! 

Stephanie 

3 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

The next question is (and I am sure this is very basic and I am embarrassed) how do I “follow” a thread. Prior to upgrade every thread I posted to was automatically followed. 

That does not  appear to be the case currently. 

Try this:-

• Click on your user name near the top right-hand corner.
  • In the drop-down, click on Account Settings.
  • On the next page, on the right-hand side click Notification Settings.
  • On the next page, you'll see a section like what's below. Select the options you want (including, for example "Automatically follow new content I post" and "Automatically follow content I reply to"). You will see that you can choose, for example, whether to have an email for every post to a followed thread, or only one email until you next visit CC.
  • Click Save.
  • Below that, there is a list of things that you can have on-screen and email notifications of. Make your selections from that.
  • Click Save.

On 10/22/2018 at 8:01 AM, SciFiGuy1960 said:

Have you tried the Activity tab above and selecting My Activity Streams?

I have since found this option -- many thanks for the suggestion, it does work better than Managed Followed Content. 

On 10/23/2018 at 6:14 AM, douggw said:

Even with all that, I am still missing over half of my subscribed threads.   😞

I am, as well, so now I will have to rummage around and find them individually.  

3 hours ago, douggw said:

And once you find a subscribed thread, there is no longer a button to click to go to the first unread message...so you have to scroll through everything and try to remember where you were last 

Don't click on the thread name; click on the blue dot/star before the name and it will take you to the first unread message.

1 hour ago, gnome12 said:

Don't click on the thread name; click on the blue dot/star before the name and it will take you to the first unread message.

That only works if you go to your "Streams"

I usually click on my name, go to Manage Followed Content which shows me all my subscribed threads.  The bolded ones I know have new messages...so I click on those to read them...From there, there is no way to jump to just the new messages in that thread.

On 10/22/2018 at 12:01 PM, Globaliser said:

Or better yet, they add a "My CruiseCritic" at the top of the page like other boards do.

One shouldn't have to go to extreme measures to fix obvious deficiencies in a website design, especially when the old one it replaced had it.

Edited by MisterBill99
  • Like 1

On 10/25/2018 at 12:48 AM, douggw said:

I usually click on my name, go to Manage Followed Content which shows me all my subscribed threads.

Hopefully sooner rather than later, the message will percolate through that Manage Followed Content is not the best way of doing this. It's not what it was designed for. My Activity Streams is the function here that does what the old User CP used to do.

On 10/25/2018 at 3:15 AM, MisterBill99 said:

One shouldn't have to go to extreme measures to fix obvious deficiencies in a website design, especially when the old one it replaced had it.

Using a built-in function in the new software is hardly an "extreme measure", especially when the software itself already provides links which will broadly do the same thing if you don't want to go through the hardship of setting up something personalised to your own preferences:-

2u75b82.jpg

22 hours ago, Globaliser said:

Hopefully sooner rather than later, the message will percolate through that Manage Followed Content is not the best way of doing this. It's not what it was designed for. My Activity Streams is the function here that does what the old User CP used to do.

Using a built-in function in the new software is hardly an "extreme measure", especially when the software itself already provides links which will broadly do the same thing if you don't want to go through the hardship of setting up something personalised to your own preferences:-

2u75b82.jpg

I have faithfully followed everyone's suggestion and personalized an Activity Stream.  Unfortunately it does not show all of my unread posts.  I discover this when I chase around the roll call threads to find my two November cruises, which do not appear on my Activity Stream, but always have recent, unread posts.  

I am one of those neanderthals that believes that if it is not broke(n), don't fix it.  Being critical is not helpful, but thank you for posting.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, travelgoddess1 said:

I have faithfully followed everyone's suggestion and personalized an Activity Stream.  Unfortunately it does not show all of my unread posts.  I discover this when I chase around the roll call threads to find my two November cruises, which do not appear on my Activity Stream, but always have recent, unread posts.

Are these the only roll call threads which you follow, or are there other roll call threads which are picked up by your custom Activity Stream?

In either case, I would suggest these steps.

First, make sure that you are indeed following the threads. When you have each thread open, you will see a small box at the top of the page above the blue button for "Reply to this topic". It should have a tick and say "Following". If instead it says "Follow", then click that, select the notification options you want, and click "Follow".

Then, when you have your custom Activity Stream open, click on the second option ("Content Types").

If it says "Topics", then click on that again and then click the Settings wheel to the right. Then click on the word "Select" to open the drop-down menu. Drill down the lists to find the roll call forum(s) in which your followed threads are, and make sure that those forums are selected and that they appear in the list. Don't forget to save changes - either "Save Changes" to modify the existing Activity Stream, or "Save As New Stream" to make a new one with the new settings. (The second may be safer while you're playing around with this to make it work. You can always delete the unwanted versions later.)

If the second option says "All Content", then try the fifth option, "Following". It should include "Content items I follow".

Does any of that put your roll call threads into your custom Activity Stream?

4 hours ago, Globaliser said:

Are these the only roll call threads which you follow, or are there other roll call threads which are picked up by your custom Activity Stream?

In either case, I would suggest these steps.

First, make sure that you are indeed following the threads. When you have each thread open, you will see a small box at the top of the page above the blue button for "Reply to this topic". It should have a tick and say "Following". If instead it says "Follow", then click that, select the notification options you want, and click "Follow".

Then, when you have your custom Activity Stream open, click on the second option ("Content Types").

If it says "Topics", then click on that again and then click the Settings wheel to the right. Then click on the word "Select" to open the drop-down menu. Drill down the lists to find the roll call forum(s) in which your followed threads are, and make sure that those forums are selected and that they appear in the list. Don't forget to save changes - either "Save Changes" to modify the existing Activity Stream, or "Save As New Stream" to make a new one with the new settings. (The second may be safer while you're playing around with this to make it work. You can always delete the unwanted versions later.)

If the second option says "All Content", then try the fifth option, "Following". It should include "Content items I follow".

Does any of that put your roll call threads into your custom Activity Stream?

Very helpful, thank you!  I think I may have zeroed in on what I am doing wrong.🙂

Edited by travelgoddess1

On 10/26/2018 at 12:04 PM, Globaliser said:

2u75b82.jpg

Having to customize something for a feature that was a basic feature that apparently many MANY people used in the old version does not qualify as an improvement.

BTW I went to "Content I Follow" and that was a disaster since I saw an entry for every post in those threads.

Here's a suggestion -- if they have room for "Our Picks" when you mouse over "Activity" (which I doubt will be used by many people) let them find room for something that people will actually use and show the equivalent of the old subscribed threads page. Or as I suggested earlier, let them do what other sites like FlyerTalk do and have a "My CruiseCritic" button that shows you your subscribed threads with the updated ones on top.

2 hours ago, MisterBill99 said:

Having to customize something for a feature that was a basic feature that apparently many MANY people used in the old version does not qualify as an improvement.

BTW I went to "Content I Follow" and that was a disaster since I saw an entry for every post in those threads.

Here's a suggestion -- if they have room for "Our Picks" when you mouse over "Activity" (which I doubt will be used by many people) let them find room for something that people will actually use and show the equivalent of the old subscribed threads page. Or as I suggested earlier, let them do what other sites like FlyerTalk do and have a "My CruiseCritic" button that shows you your subscribed threads with the updated ones on top.

Try creating a custom stream with these options; if you like it bookmark the strem and use the book mark to access cc. I do that on my desktop and phone

image.thumb.png.96927e91836ae1dcf8d9902f1ba732d5.png

45 minutes ago, AlanF65 said:

Try creating a custom stream with these options; if you like it bookmark the strem and use the book mark to access cc. I do that on my desktop and phone

I appreciate the help but the bottom lie for me is that these are what I consider unusual measures that users should not need to go thru to get back a feature which it's pretty apparent that many people used.

One nice thing I noticed about going thru Activity Streams link is that it takes me to the new posts, rather than the first page.

Edited by MisterBill99

9 hours ago, MisterBill99 said:

You don't have to customise it if you don't want to do the work.

Under Activity Streams, the new software provides a few ready-made versions. "Content I Follow" will do much of the job that the previous subscribed threads list did, with only one real change: it lists each post in each subscribed thread, rather than listing each subscribed thread once.

If you're prepared to do a couple of simple things, you can make this work however you like.

With two clicks (changing one selection), you can make this show each subscribed thread only once.

With two clicks (changing one selection), you can make this show only threads in which there is unread content.

Then you can save this customisation if you like.

Any new software is going to come with some change; and any such change will always mean that there are some things that become better and some things become worse. The downside of this is that there is no out-of-the-box direct replica of the way the old subscribed threads worked. The upside is that you have a powerful customisation tool which can make the site work better for you than the old, rather blunt, subscribed threads feature.

Unfortunately, some of the other whingeing here (I'm not directing this at you) seems to come from people who don't want anything to change. At all. Ever.