Sydney...Where to eat???

Shellbelle28

So we'll have a free day in Sydney before embarking on our cruise. I plan to book a hotel close to Circular Quay in The Rocks. 

Here's my dilemma. All of the hotels I am looking at that have restaurants with menus that are quite...how to put it...upscale? My DH would be much more interested in casual food. Fish and chips, burgers, etc. rather than "fine dining." I'm not looking for fast food, just a more comforting and casual experience.

Any suggestions of where to go in or near The Rocks?

4 hours ago, Shellbelle28 said:

So we'll have a free day in Sydney before embarking on our cruise. I plan to book a hotel close to Circular Quay in The Rocks. 

Here's my dilemma. All of the hotels I am looking at that have restaurants with menus that are quite...how to put it...upscale? My DH would be much more interested in casual food. Fish and chips, burgers, etc. rather than "fine dining." I'm not looking for fast food, just a more comforting and casual experience.

Any suggestions of where to go in or near The Rocks?

No need to eat at expensive hotel restaurants, there are plenty of other options around Circular Quay and the Rocks. At Circular Quay itself there is Buckleys which has good fish and chips, and burgers. There are also a couple of Italian restaurants, plus the Opera Kitchen just past the Opera Bar on the lower level walkway to the Opera House. You can just wander past the restaurants and check out the menus until you find one that suits. 

4 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

No need to eat at expensive hotel restaurants, there are plenty of other options around Circular Quay and the Rocks. At Circular Quay itself there is Buckleys which has good fish and chips, and burgers. There are also a couple of Italian restaurants, plus the Opera Kitchen just past the Opera Bar on the lower level walkway to the Opera House. You can just wander past the restaurants and check out the menus until you find one that suits. 

Thank you OzKiwiJJ:

That's good to know. We've stayed in locales where it's seemed like every restaurant was trying to outdo the next in being fancy (or as defined by DH "nothing I'll eat.")

There is a place at the bottom of George st in the Rocks called Ribs and Burgers (I think) that is pretty good.  My husband and kids like it.  Darling Harbor is a good fun place to wander around and pick a restaurant too if you want another place to look around

1 hour ago, Swissmiss6253 said:

There is a place at the bottom of George st in the Rocks called Ribs and Burgers (I think) that is pretty good.  My husband and kids like it.  Darling Harbor is a good fun place to wander around and pick a restaurant too if you want another place to look around

Mrs Gut is a big fan of Ribs and Burgers. We often have lunch there in cruise day, snag a window seat to watch our ship.

and then there’s always Harry’s for a pie (or three)

around at Circular Quay there are numerous outlets

or the pub on the corner near the Holiday Inn (sorry can’t think of the name) does some decent pub grub.

Just now, GUT2407 said:

Mrs Gut is a big fan of Ribs and Burgers. We often have lunch there in cruise day, snag a window seat to watch our ship.

and then there’s always Harry’s for a pie (or three)

around at Circular Quay there are numerous outlets

or the pub on the corner near the Holiday Inn (sorry can’t think of the name) does some decent pub grub.

Or try one of the food Courts.

There is a pub next to McDonalds at Circular Quay (round the corner on Loftus Street) which we've found good, although a few years since we ate there - the Paragon I think it is called. The bistro area is upstairs.

Leigh

9 hours ago, Shellbelle28 said:

Thank you OzKiwiJJ:

That's good to know. We've stayed in locales where it's seemed like every restaurant was trying to outdo the next in being fancy (or as defined by DH "nothing I'll eat.")

Unfortunately you do pay a little bit more at restaurants at Circular Quay but for that you get gorgeous views, but there are restaurants to suit all tastes.

• 2 weeks later...

There is a pub above The Rocks called The Glenmore - they have a beautiful rooftop beer garden/restaurant- with amazing views over the harbour, bridge, city and Opera House. Food is great and reasonably priced too. Easy to book - just check out their website by googling the name. 

I would highly recommend this to anybody in Sydney, tourist or Sydneysider. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jandex said:

There is a pub above The Rocks called The Glenmore - they have a beautiful rooftop beer garden/restaurant- with amazing views over the harbour, bridge, city and Opera House. Food is great and reasonably priced too.

Is this the place with the $10 steaks on Mondays? (I suppose the price could have gone up since I was last there.) If so, I can also vouch for the quality of the views.

yes, there is a food market on at the Rocks on a Friday. it's on Argyle Street near the Museum of Contemporary Art.

another place to eat (if in Circular Quay during the daytime) is the Gateway Food Court (right next to the McDonalds)

8 hours ago, Shellbelle28 said:

DH loves fish & chips, so that's probably what we'll seek out first. 

A few good fish and chip options around Circular quay.

though I’d grab a ferry, either to Watson’s Bay and Doyle’s or over the Manly, but I can’t think of the name of the on there I like.

Edited by GUT2407

2 hours ago, Swissmiss6253 said:

Mr Gut, Is it posh Garfish at Manly or the standard fish and chip shop up the beach end of the main strip where you order fish and chips and battle with the gulls at the beach?

Nah not Garfish, if Mr Gut aren’t one thing it’s Posh.  I’m more of a seagull battler.

2 hours ago, Shellbelle28 said:

What fish is used in fish & chips in the region? Here in the US, cod is common, halibut is the really good stuff!

They’ll call it flake but that means shark, personally I like whitting fillets.

now as to what spuds they use?? Never knew there was so much involved till I first spent a few weeks working in Tasmania. Staying in a caravan so I could cook my own meals and save a few $$$. Go into Rolf Voss, ask for some spuds, “what type” was the answer, 

“whatever” says Gut

”what are you going to do with them”

”eat them of course”

never seen eyes roll roll so much in all my born days.