Antarctica-Chile to Arg. Port vs Starboard

Bea3

Looking at a booking for Antarctica From Santiago to Buenos Aires with 4 days cruising Antarctica. One balcony  left on Port side, plenty on Starboard.  It looks like most of the South American 'sights' will be port side but Antarctica on the Starboard. If you have done this before which side would you choose and would it make a big difference?  TIA

I've been on this route three times, in both directions, (albeit not in a balcony cabin) and think it doesn't make a difference.
When at sea, you really don't see land. When you are doing scenic cruising, you need to be outside. Antarctica, especially, needs to be experienced from the open decks, where you can change sides as the views change. Same is true when you cruise the channels, and the fjords in Chile.
Besides, there can be times there are bitter cold winds, and the best thing to do is get on the leeward side of the ship.

I'd choose starboard. We did the cruise in the reverse direction and had a port balcony. I don't recall the captain making turns to show the opposite side of the ship. I spent lots of time on the balcony and had great views of Antarctica. 

We were on the Dec 2017 Zaandam sailing from Chile to Antarctica to Argentina.  We were on Starboard side, but being outside is more important.  

I will try to add photos of the actual route down the coast of Chile and the 4 days we spent in Antarctica.  I wouldn't worry about the side the cabin is on.  Both sides are amazing.

Tony

20180103_105951.jpg

20180103_105927.jpg

We were on the same cruise as Boulders, in a port side verandah.  As Ruth said, you want to be out on deck especially in Antarctica for the full, unbelievable panorama!   This had to be the best cruise itinerary we have ever taken...enjoy it, whichever side you choose!

Karen

Tony,

It was interesting to see your maps. We are sailing this itinerary in January. 

I assume the maps you had photos of were posted somewhere on the ship for all to see? Do passengers also receive maps in their cabin so they can track the routes? We have done this in Alaska and it was interesting to see the route we were traveling. 

I have debated about purchasing a map in advance, but am hoping we are given one instead. I don’t need anything too detailed, just something to follow along. 

They were posted in the crowsnest and updated fairly often. This was in addition to the maps available on the TV.  I attached a picture on the TV display from Antarctica.

No maps were distributed to all cabins on our cruise.

I have also attached our first view of Anartica as we approached.  This photo has not been photoshopped at all.  It was amazing. I am planning a return in the near future.

Tony

20171228_184655.jpg

20171227_081208.jpg

16 minutes ago, AryMay said:

Tony,

It was interesting to see your maps. We are sailing this itinerary in January. 

I assume the maps you had photos of were posted somewhere on the ship for all to see? Do passengers also receive maps in their cabin so they can track the routes? We have done this in Alaska and it was interesting to see the route we were traveling. 

I have debated about purchasing a map in advance, but am hoping we are given one instead. I don’t need anything too detailed, just something to follow along. 

One more option, before you go, if you download off-line maps for your travel areas  to Google Maps or Maps.me, and you go outside to allow your phone to determine its location from GPS satellite's, you can follow you current location on a map including direction of travel using your smartphone. 

I have found Google maps to be very accurate.  You need the off-line maps to get around the need for an internet connection.  I do this for all our travels.  Very handy.

1 hour ago, saratoga said:

One more option, before you go, if you download off-line maps for your travel areas  to Google Maps or Maps.me, and you go outside to allow your phone to determine its location from GPS satellite's, you can follow you current location on a map including direction of travel using your smartphone. 

I have found Google maps to be very accurate.  You need the off-line maps to get around the need for an internet connection.  I do this for all our travels.  Very handy.

Yes...this is what I did when we were on our Alaska cruise. I would use my phone to determine our location and then mark it on our paper map. 

I'm surprised that in the deluge of paper that shows up in your cabin that a map wasn't provided (like the Glacier Bay map in Alaska.) 

Can anyone suggest a decent (and relatively cheap) map for South America & Antartcia?