Master Class: Finding Stuff

POA1

Once you see how this works, it might make your CC time a little more productive.

This particular set of tips is for computers and tablets only. It works somewhat similarly on my phone, but the filtering is much nicer on a larger screen.  You'll notice that there are three tabs at the top of the screen: Forums, Gallery & Activity.  You're dropped into the Forums tab by default.

To make the magic happen, we want to use the Activity Tab.

01-Select-Stream.jpg.0ba0b2ebd96e59eba457322541393b15.jpg

You'll see four options for Default Streams: Unread Content, Content I Started, Content I Follow, and Content I Posted In.  For this example, I'm going to look at Content I Follow.

02-stream.thumb.jpg.cf38c7d3d6a791253726e537216fa8e8.jpg

You'll see 7 different filtering boxes to help you narrow down your view.  You can filter on Read Status.

03-filter-read-status.thumb.jpg.68b98425c4eb301f56dd26cb5866b7d8.jpg

You can filter on Ownership

04-filter-ownership.thumb.jpg.8c5753fc8ea0456ef54153d4f797265f.jpg

You can filter on Following (Topics or People}

05-filter-following.thumb.jpg.ebd5ba46a886735da2f6fbead9c22498.jpg

And you can filter on the Age of the Content

06-filer-time.jpg.9857f8a96bc30b679aea7537db044a7e.jpg

I would Love, Love, Love It if you could save your filtering options, but I don't see a way to do that. However, you CAN bookmark the page once you have it filtered the way you like.

If you are using a mobile phone or smaller screen device, you get to the Activity Tab by clicking the Newpaper-looking icon.  You'll then see a filter content screen. Not quite as easy to use though.

07-mobile.JPG.368dc4a7721447d9c7228b74b804211d.JPG

• Like 1

Thank you for all your tutorials, they are so appreciated!

I really miss having the ease of the App on my iPhone.  I did finally go on the computer today just to see but we only really boot it up once a week.    Oh well...less time on here could be a good thing for me I guess unless the App comes back.  

Good news and bad news.  The Good News: I figured out how to save a Custom Activity Stream.  The Bad News: I can't figure out how to delete the custom streams.  Something new to work on. :classic_dry:

Okay... Got it.  Once you've created streams, you can edit them, delete them, or make them your default stream.  That last one should speed things up once you get it set correctly.  BTW - Under "Following" you can select Areas. So, if you follow the HAL Board and the Princess Board, you can put them into a stream.

Click on the Activity tab or the Newpaper icon on the mobile view. (Why is the newspaper icon used for Activity? Does that make sense?)  The click on Create Stream and set your filters.

10-My-Streams.jpg

10a-Create-Stream.thumb.jpg.8b428953676bc5a480782626b5359d3e.jpg

Meanwhile... When you're looking at a stream there are three teeny, tiny icons for renaming the stream, deleting the stream or making it your default stream.

11-edit-stream-title.jpg.e2083296c0c8e2d59d456728ebd456a1.jpg

12-Dekete-stream.thumb.jpg.372471545dcee9d27902689f42ad5948.jpg

13-default-stream.thumb.jpg.26334ed5e18c374a95f24453880d1050.jpg

When you are VIEWING one of your Custom Streams and you Change some of the criteria, you will be able to Save the Changes or Save it as a New Custom Stream.

14-Save-Stream.thumb.jpg.ee677b2315da2a9c986468427479c202.jpg

Edited by POA1
Messed up my image placement

14 minutes ago, Krazy Kruizers said:

I mentioned the other day that CC and HAL need to hire Brian -- it was on another thread.

I agree KK.

BTW, could you change your font please?  It's very light and hard to read on an Ipad or mobile device.

I love the script but it needs to be darker.  It might be a CC format thing, not sure.

2 hours ago, POA1 said:

...I would Love, Love, Love It if you could save your filtering options, but I don't see a way to do that. However, you CAN bookmark the page once you have it filtered the way you like.

When I adjust parameters in my Content I follow, a Save as new stream button appears below the grid.

image.thumb.png.123dc1cb7899b68f2952cb5e026728a4.png

Perhaps one needs to create at least one custom stream to enable this?

1 hour ago, broberts said:

When I adjust parameters in my Content I follow, a Save as new stream button appears below the grid.

image.thumb.png.123dc1cb7899b68f2952cb5e026728a4.png

Perhaps one needs to create at least one custom stream to enable this?

Yes. That last image is me editing my Custom stream. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

1 hour ago, kazu said:

BTW, could you change your font please?  It's very light and hard to read on an Ipad or mobile device.

I love the script but it needs to be darker.  It might be a CC format thing, not sure. 

They just need to add some stuff to the global CSS file. I'm working on writing up some instructions to send to the admins.  Maybe they'll send me a set of luggage tags or something.

1 hour ago, broberts said:

Look closely at my post, I was changing the Content I Follow stream, not a custom stream.

Sorry. I was viewing it on my phone and I thought it was my image. 

Just choose Save As A New Stream and give it a name. It will be a Custom Stream saved to your user ID. 

8 hours ago, POA1 said:

They just need to add some stuff to the global CSS file. I'm working on writing up some instructions to send to the admins.  Maybe they'll send me a set of luggage tags or something.

They should give you a LOT more than luggage tags 🙂

3 minutes ago, mame42 said:

Sorry if this question has been answered previously, but is there a return to top of page button that I am missing?

There is not an onscreen button like there was in days of yore, but if you have a keyboard the "Home" and "End" keys will take you to the top or bottom of the page respectively.  There's no similar solution if you are using a phone or tablet with a software (screen) keyboard.

1 hour ago, POA1 said:

There is not an onscreen button like there was in days of yore, but if you have a keyboard the "Home" and "End" keys will take you to the top or bottom of the page respectively.  There's no similar solution if you are using a phone or tablet with a software (screen) keyboard.

Thank you!

3 hours ago, POA1 said:

On Android at least, perhaps also on iOS, taping the cc banner menu button twice will go to the top of the page.

29 minutes ago, broberts said:

On Android at least, perhaps also on iOS, taping the cc banner menu button twice will go to the top of the page.

Which browser? I get taken to the CC home page. I tried both Android Chrome and Dolphin. 

Edited by POA1

20 minutes ago, POA1 said:

Which browser? I get taken to the CC home page. 

Android Chrome and Android Firefox. Are you double tapping the menu on the right side of the cc banner (three horizontal bars)?

Edited by broberts

48 minutes ago, broberts said:

14 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

If you double tap the banner it goes to the home page but if you double tap the three horizontal lines on right hand side then it goes to top of page (andoid on chrome).

13 minutes ago, broberts said:

Android Chrome and Android Firefox. Are you double tapping the menu on the right side of the cc banner (three horizontal bars)?

I'm guilty of skimming the post. :classic_ohmy: I "read" is as double tapping the CC banner, which I read to be the logo banner.  You are correct. Double-tapping the "hamburger" menu takes you to the top of the page.  Excellent tip!  Thanks!