Ruby New Cabin Door Locks

cruzsnooze

I just got off the Ruby today.   They were installing the tracking devices on the large picture frames around the ship in public areas. They are not operational yet.  All the cabins had the cabin locks replaced with the ***** box where the mail box used to be. We still had the old cruise key card which scanned to open the door. Papers were slipped under the door (and sometimes left on the floor outside the door) since there are no mail boxes. I wonder how long that will last with the room steward having to bend several times a day to do this for everything from Spa to Effy and art auctions adverts. The internet was very slow. I'm told it will eventually be upgraded. The new menus are harder to read because they are busy with boxes and crown grill entrees for a fee. The food declined IMHO and the choices were not as high end as they used to be. Food is subjective so you may love it. 

We just got off today. I concur, the food is really pretty bad in the main dining room. The breakfasts were not too great either. The buffet lunches were horrible, except for the salad and then there were no tomatoes, cucumbers, not a whole lot of choices. 

We never received any other papers informing us of anything other than the nightly newsletter for the next day.

Not sure what was up on this sailing.

2 hours ago, DrivesLikeMario said:

It'll be interesting to see all these changes!  What was the buffet like?  Did they have stations or the old lay-out? 

The buffet was the same and the desserts were inside not outside the buffet lines which makes it more congested. Dry dock did improve anything!

Edited by cruzsnooze

17 hours ago, cruzsnooze said:

I just got off the Ruby today.   They were installing the tracking devices on the large picture frames around the ship in public areas. They are not operational yet.  All the cabins had the cabin locks replaced with the ***** box where the mail box used to be. We still had the old cruise key card which scanned to open the door. Papers were slipped under the door (and sometimes left on the floor outside the door) since there are no mail boxes. I wonder how long that will last with the room steward having to bend several times a day to do this for everything from Spa to Effy and art auctions adverts. The internet was very slow. I'm told it will eventually be upgraded. The new menus are harder to read because they are busy with boxes and crown grill entrees for a fee. The food declined IMHO and the choices were not as high end as they used to be. Food is subjective so you may love it. 

maybe now OM will not be ***** as I sent an email to community

51 minutes ago, cruzsnooze said:

The OM ones that they will institute shortly. I ordered a few RFID sleeves on ebay to keep my medallion in when I'm forced into that program.

From the start , Princess has stated you can opt out and use the standard cruise card. Yes I know they will use this information for marketing. But I will trade this for the ability to locate any of my party (or friends who link their account) to any part of the ship where sensors are installed. 

3 minutes ago, jlp20 said:

From the start , Princess has stated you can opt out and use the standard cruise card. Yes I know they will use this information for marketing. But I will trade this for the ability to locate any of my party (or friends who link their account) to any part of the ship where sensors are installed. 

What are you worried about? Do you own a cell phone?

My cell phone is off and in the safe while on the cruise. I don't want to be tracked like a puppy with a chip. I don't need to have Princess send me all their advertising. I don't need to have anyone know where I am every second, I prefer privacy which is lost today.  I keep my cell phone off at home too and don't answer it if it's on while home either, I prefer the clarity of the land line connection. Some people are techie's but that's not me, and isn't it wonderful we're all different.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, jlp20 said:

The standard cruise card will not open your stateroom door as it requires an RFID card. This means they can track you regardless 

16 hours ago, cruzsnooze said:

My cell phone is off and in the safe while on the cruise. I don't want to be tracked like a puppy with a chip. I don't need to have Princess send me all their advertising. I don't need to have anyone know where I am every second, I prefer privacy which is lost today.  I keep my cell phone off at home too and don't answer it if it's on while home either, I prefer the clarity of the land line connection. Some people are techie's but that's not me, and isn't it wonderful we're all different.

I think that the point of the question was that if you carry a cell phone on land, your cell phone is constantly searching for the next cell tower.  Ostensibly, no big deal.  As it turns out, the phone companies actually keep records of which cell phones "connected" to which cell towers by time of day.  I am aware of at least one case where law enforcement was able to get a warrant to view those records.  It provided some very damaging evidence that led to the conviction of an individual who said he was home in bed at 11:30 at night but couldn't explain why his cell phone was was "disconnected" from the cell tower close to his home and  "connected" to one miles away from his house--unfortunately, for him, in the neighborhood where the crime under investigation was committed--at the time he claimed to be at home in bed.

15 hours ago, Seadog & Sea Hag said:

The standard cruise card will not open your stateroom door as it requires an RFID card. This means they can track you regardless 

Hate to point out pax have already reported initial cruises had Princess issuing both OM and cruise card. There was a posting where door would not unlock door, so pax used card to unlock. Not positive but original door latch and lock still in place. The OM is installed on the jam side of the frame.

On 10/22/2018 at 5:45 PM, cruzsnooze said:

As to the missing mailbox, think I'll bring along a brown paper bag, mark it "Mail", find a non-marring method to affix it to our door or the former mailbox location.

2 hours ago, pms4104 said:

As to the missing mailbox, think I'll bring along a brown paper bag, mark it "Mail", find a non-marring method to affix it to our door or the former mailbox location.

Someone posted pics in another thread of their homemade mailbox.  There were a couple of pics from different people actually. One hung it using magnetic hooks on their door.  I thought it was a great idea.