Japan Deployment 2020

Coral

Thank you for posting this, Coral. A little off topic, but does Diamond offer traditional American fare onboard whilst deployed in this region? Only asking as I know RCI’s experience is more immersive and our family would prefer the usual Princess offerings. TIA 😉.

Edited by villauk

14 hours ago, villauk said:

Thank you for posting this, Coral. A little off topic, but does Diamond offer traditional American fare onboard whilst deployed in this region? .

This has been discussed in another recent thread. There's the addition of a little-used sushi bar, more Asian foods including some lovely ramen, but plenty of the stuff you'd find at such all-American eateries as the Olive Garden,  Benihana, and Panda Express.

And since you're a Brit, you might be gratified to find baked beans for brekky, though the classic English dish of tikka masala is nowhere to be found.

No, seriously, you can still get plenty of the Usual Stuff. But why not try something new?

Edited by shepp

7 hours ago, shepp said:

This has been discussed in another recent thread. There's the addition of a little-used sushi bar, more Asian foods including some lovely ramen, but plenty of the stuff you'd find at such all-American eateries as the Olive Garden,  Benihana, and Panda Express.

And since you're a Brit, you might be gratified to find baked beans for brekky, though the classic English dish of tikka masala is nowhere to be found.

No, seriously, you can still get plenty of the Usual Stuff. But why not try something new?

It’s more a case of trying something new, but not at every single meal time (as can be the case on some sailings classed as immersive 😉). We prefer, as a family, to have the choice of both rather than exclusively one or the other. Btw, I don’t like baked beans or chicken tikka masala :classic_biggrin:.

11 hours ago, villauk said:

It’s more a case of trying something new, but not at every single meal time (as can be the case on some sailings classed as immersive 😉). 

It's my understanding that RCI's "immersive" cruises are aimed squarely at the Chinese market, and the onboard experience reflects that. (Take that as you will.) With the Diamond Princess, my impression is that it's largely marketed to Japanese and Westerners. You'll feel quite at home, though with a pleasantly international twist.

14 minutes ago, shepp said:

It's my understanding that RCI's "immersive" cruises are aimed squarely at the Chinese market, and the onboard experience reflects that. (Take that as you will.) With the Diamond Princess, my impression is that it's largely marketed to Japanese and Westerners. You'll feel quite at home, though with a pleasantly international twist.

Brilliant, thank you 😉.

I have been waiting and waiting for the 2020 to be on the website to start making deposits for Japan cruises then.

In my opinion the best place to cruise to. Just regarding the above dining mentions. The menu is exactly the same as the traditional international Princess menu with some names changed to reflect Japanese words although the menu item is the same. The buffet has a few Asian additions and the sushi bar is quite popular on Japanese sailings with the local ingredients brought on the ship.

2020 is Tokyo Olympics year so I am expecting to see expensive prices up front..... I hope not expensive but cruise lines know how to rip people off when they can.

I was just off the Diamond Princess last week and can honestly say that over there is the best Princess experience ever. The passenger mix is more international and it makes it much more polite and civilised than just one large single nationality. I am Australian and I honestly hate being on ships full entirely of other Australians. The thing about Japan is that normally the Japanese are in the majority on most cruises but with the large international mix the whole atmosphere seems to change. People have different tastes and likes and dislikes and the ship is not as crowded as people seem to use the entire ship for what it has to offer. Cant wait to go again.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Brisbane41 said:

I have been waiting and waiting for the 2020 to be on the website to start making deposits for Japan cruises then.

In my opinion the best place to cruise to. Just regarding the above dining mentions. The menu is exactly the same as the traditional international Princess menu with some names changed to reflect Japanese words although the menu item is the same. The buffet has a few Asian additions and the sushi bar is quite popular on Japanese sailings with the local ingredients brought on the ship.

2020 is Tokyo Olympics year so I am expecting to see expensive prices up front..... I hope not expensive but cruise lines know how to rip people off when they can.

I was just off the Diamond Princess last week and can honestly say that over there is the best Princess experience ever. The passenger mix is more international and it makes it much more polite and civilised than just one large single nationality. I am Australian and I honestly hate being on ships full entirely of other Australians. The thing about Japan is that normally the Japanese are in the majority on most cruises but with the large international mix the whole atmosphere seems to change. People have different tastes and likes and dislikes and the ship is not as crowded as people seem to use the entire ship for what it has to offer. Cant wait to go again.

Thank you you so much for your comments. It’s exactly what I wanted to hear. We also prefer a good international mix, hence us never sailing with P&O over here. Japan is on my DH’s bucket list and we’d love to visit in 2020 with the rest of our family. I just wanted to ensure that the ship would cater for all 7 of us in the party - great to hear it offers the best of both fayres.

It has been difficult getting info about just when Japan 2020 will be online to book.  Called Princess, the CSR said she had no info at all, called a TA, she said Princess told her Nov. 13th, called another TA, she said Princess told her Japan 2020 would be available around Thanksgiving.

I got the email today regarding the early booking window starting Nov. 6 but it does not mention Asia.

21 minutes ago, gbldcl said:

According to the email I just received the Elite booking window for Japan opens Nov.13

You are right. Sorry for having the wrong date. 

Edited by Coral

On 11/2/2018 at 10:45 PM, gbldcl said:

No need for you to be sorry about anything.  The service you provide to CC members is invaluable and much appreciated.

It was grouped with a bunch of other itineraries that were opening earlier so I thought it was opening at the same time.

I appreciate you posting the update. I got the same email and missed the date! 🙂