The vexatious issue of tipping

Hi all,

I know that there are several threads on tipping, but Royal Caribbean's new charge for room service has vexed me again.

As I understand it, the usual procedure when prepaid tipping (as for RC) is to tip some staff such as porters and room service, which are "extra" services.

However RC now charge $7.95 for room service which includes gratuity.

So I have the choice of either facing the social awkwardness of not tipping room service or the annoyance of paying twice for tips.

What do you do?

If I'm paying for room service plus a service charge I wouldn't tip on top. On our upcoming cruise we are in a suite where room service is included so I'll tip the person who delivers it.

Julie

2 hours ago, cruisenewb1 said:

What do you do?

Nothing when gratuity is automatically added to the room service fee.

If room service is "free" (continental breakfast in the morning), then I'll give a few dollars depending on the size of the order.

If I used room service, which I haven't, I would probably handle it like I do bar service. If I am getting a Diamond drink that I am not paying for I tip the bartender. If I am getting a drink that I am paying for with the gratuity added on I do not tip extra.

• Like 1

The ones I am perplexed on are the folks delivering gifts. 

If you are not in room, they drop it off. No opportunity.

If you are in the room, you are caught off guard and may not have cash handy, or they really don't expect it.  

Generally no tip given.

2 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

Nothing when gratuity is automatically added to the room service fee.

If room service is "free" (continental breakfast in the morning), then I'll give a few dollars depending on the size of the order.

When it was just the service fee, I tipped a dollar or so.  Probably not now that 18% is being added.

Still give add'l tip in Chops even though 18% is added.  Especially when using a discount

1 hour ago, John&LaLa said:

When it was just the service fee, I tipped a dollar or so.  Probably not now that 18% is being added.

Still give add'l tip in Chops even though 18% is added.  Especially when using a discount

We don't normally opt for Chops anymore, but the service at our last few times at Chops unfortunately did not warrant additional tip.

1 hour ago, Host Clarea said:

We don't normally opt for Chops anymore, but the service at our last few times at Chops unfortunately did not warrant additional tip.

Hit or miss.  I did use Chops as a generic description for all specialty venues. 

I'm also confused about the 18% tip added now.  It seems if you book with cruise planner, no 18%, but if you book onboard, 18% is added. 🤔

Edited by John&LaLa

3 hours ago, Cigar King said:

I tip, for everything.  Put yourself in their shoes.  If you were running around all day, wouldn't you appreciate a few extra bucks?  I know I would.

Besides, I enjoy it.

Spoken like a true DS leader.

I understand you because it mirrors What I do.

27 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

I'm also confused about the 18% tip added now.  It seems if you book with cruise planner, no 18%, but if you book onboard, 18% is added. 🤔

Correct, and I would expect that to be "fixed" at some point.

3 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

The ones I am perplexed on are the folks delivering gifts. 

If you are not in room, they drop it off. No opportunity.

If you are in the room, you are caught off guard and may not have cash handy, or they really don't expect it.  

Generally no tip given.

I always keep about 6 single dollars in the cabinet next to the bed so if room service etc call I can quickly lay my hands on some money to tip them 

9 hours ago, cruisenewb1 said:

Hi all,

I know that there are several threads on tipping, but Royal Caribbean's new charge for room service has vexed me again.

As I understand it, the usual procedure when prepaid tipping (as for RC) is to tip some staff such as porters and room service, which are "extra" services.

So I have the choice of either facing the social awkwardness of not tipping room service or the annoyance of paying twice for tips.

What do you do?

NCL does this too.  When we order in the morning, which is complimentary, we tip.  Anything else with a charge has an added service charge already, and we do not tip extra. 

Room service and the 3 D+ drinks loaded our seapass cards every night:  if I use either of these I always add an additional $1 per person, even though the tip is supposed to be included.  

Edited by pcur

2 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

1 hour ago, John&LaLa said:

Hit or miss.  I did use Chops as a generic description for all specialty venues. 

I booked through the Cruise Planner and it appears that the Tip (service charge) is included without adding the 18%

Screen Shot 2018-10-23 at 10.33.53 AM.png

9 hours ago, cruisenewb1 said:

Hi all,

What do you do?

I never feel awkward not tipping, if the receipt clearly says I already did. 

For example, when I ate in a specialty restaurant, I would have tipped extra.  Now, the price has the 18% added, and is clearly marked that I paid 18%.  I don't feel awkward at not tipping more.  Same for drinks.  The tip is added, therefore I do not feel a need, and do not feel awkward in the slightest. 

I ate in a restaurant that the receipt showed a 15% tip.  I added a small amount to it, but I did not double tip.  Think I added about 4.5% with rounding.

Do automatic tips show up on all receipts?  Like if I get a drink with the deluxe drink package, I've already paid a tip.  Will I get a receipt each time?  I'm always bothered by included tips when I'm basically not sure if the person providing the service is aware of the tip already being paid.  I've had this with limo drivers to the airport and room service type things before.   I wouldn't want to be tipping extra but I do always feel like I should be tipping again at time of service.  

1 minute ago, frayedend said:

Do automatic tips show up on all receipts?  Like if I get a drink with the deluxe drink package, I've already paid a tip.  Will I get a receipt each time?  I'm always bothered by included tips when I'm basically not sure if the person providing the service is aware of the tip already being paid.  I've had this with limo drivers to the airport and room service type things before.   I wouldn't want to be tipping extra but I do always feel like I should be tipping again at time of service.  

You may or may not get a receipt to sign for drinks ordered under a drink package.  However, the servers know that all drink packages already have had gratuities charged.