So many bad reviews!

twoboys

We took a Windstar cruise in 2016, Sicilian Splendors and it was amazing!  Great ship, great service, wonderful itinerary, fantastic food and wonderful people. Yes there wer minor glitches.Btu honestly we loved it.  We are not deciding between another river cruise on Uniworld (also fabulous) or another Windstar in September. We also loved our Seaborne cruise but timing isnt working for that. But now I am wondering if something couid have happened in the past couple of years to make Windstar change. Or are the reviewers just curmudgeons who are never satisfied?  Ill be hones I am a little hesitant to put our deposit down for the Belles of the British Isles. 

I have taken a Windstar cruise just about every 2 years for the last 12 years, and there has always been "complainers."  They are more likely to post than those who enjoyed their cruise.  I read what they say (and what they have said about other cruises - usually not happy there either), what others say, and then weigh that against my own experiences.  So far I have never been disappointed with my Windstar experience, and am planning my next one for Mar 2019.

• Like 1

We have been on 22 cruises with WS. All except one on the sailboats. I have also read the latest reviews and have been alarmed because this has not been our experience. In addition we are batting 100% with friends and relatives that have come with us. Most have been on multiple cruises with WS since we introduced them to WS. Upon reading these reviews I see that some involve “ food “ always subjective opinions, “ luxury “ depends on the personal meaning. Missing ports that is always weather/safety. Is everything perfect all the time no, what is?  We have always enjoyed the smallness, the informal atmosphere, friendliness of the staff, the quiet. Our feeing is aren’t we fortunate to be able to enjoy these lovely ships and our time on them. Sounds like there are a lot of unhappy people out there. We are on for 2 weeks in January and can’t wait. 

PS I wish Cruise Critic would let us read prior reviews of people, we used to be able to do that or am I missing something. 

• Like 1

Having just returned from 25 days on Wind Surf I can honestly say...

There are no better officers and crews out there. Within days everyone knows your name; they want to help you have the best trip possible. 

The ports of call can't be beat. If you like small, out of the way places, you're going to fall in love with Windstar. If you love port intensive cruises with very little sea days (except for ocean crossings) Windstar is for you.

Your fellow travelers will be (for the most part) relaxed, well-traveled individuals who are interested in seeing the sights and getting to know their fellow passengers.

The food is good. Sometimes spectacular, sometimes not so much. 

The beer and wine selection will be decent. You should be able to find something for your tastes. If not, purchase a bottle of wine on shore and bring it to dinner and they will pop it for you. Now you're drinking what you want to drink.

The WS tours will have a variety that should suit you. Look at them before you sail. Do your research. If you don't like the choices, find your own tours or just get off the ship and explore on your own. No one says you have to take an organized tour to enjoy your time ashore.

Wind Surf is showing her age. We were told she is scheduled for dry dock come November 2019. That being said, everything is spit spot clean. If something spills or breaks, there is a crew member there cleaning it up. But if you look closely, you will see lots of coats of paint on the metal part of her railings and yes, even some rust. Her teak decks aren't as shiny as they once were although while on turnover day, they were working on various areas of the decks.

The colors used throughout might not be everyone's taste. But it is relaxing and easy on the eyes.

The pool and hot  tubs might be small but the ship is small. That didn't stop our fellow passengers from using them.

And if you want lots of night life that includes Broadway shows, comedy acts, auctions, drink contests and such, THIS ISN'T THE LINE FOR YOU! Please, know yourself and find the cruise line that's perfect for you. We think we have found it in Windstar and couldn't be happier. 

"Sailing past Mt Stromboli on Wind Surf's Sicilian Splendors October 1, 2018." It doesn't get better than this!

yb8KaZrjcBrWhc_5VlQTYTgyfslqqfp2Fo6I-_hc

• Like 2

i took a glance at the reviews for the Surf, and there was indeed a surge of bad reviews earlier this year, but more recently they've been in the 4* range. I wonder if the Surf had a stretch of bad management - I've suffered through one WS cruise, documented here somewhere, that clearly had a grumpy and badly supervised crew - evidenced by things like the Veranda staff just sort of all running around like headless chickens with no clear assignments, this is the same trip where we never saw a manager at breakfast time, ever. With a small ship, a single bad egg can really mess up the crew.

The once consistent thing I laugh at is the line "it wasn't the luxury experience I was expecting..."  WS has never marketed themselves as a luxury line. That, and "drinks are expensive". Um, did they order any? A mixed drink is usually under or around $10 and decent bottles of wine are priced at or less than you'd pay at any restaurant. They are NOT high priced.

Edited by milepig

I wonder if it's an expectation thing?  WS is a relaxed, semi-luxury yet comfortable line.  We've only sailed on her once.  But we'll most certainly be back as the 'small ship' thing is something to be treasured. 

Edited by jsglow

Thank you all!  You guys have made me feel better. Like I said we LOVED our Windstar experience (especially the laundry) and neither one of us has been to Great Britain beyond London, so I think we will start looking more seriously now

I believe many of the recent bad reviews have to do with New England Canada cruises as well as some Alaska and while there will always be people that believe Windstar is Luxury (how can it be luxury when prices are 50% of Seabourn), it isn’t and they will always be disappointed.  However, what I do see in common in all these bad reviews is that the ships are in need of repairs (the Pride was idle for several hours off Cape Cod during recent Canada New England cruise) and that they are are not really geared for cold weather cruising and that these new cold itineraries have meant more people inside all the time.  

My husband and I have done 4 WS cruises in the past 4 years and will be doing another in March. We had absolutely no complaints. Hope we see you on the Belles of the British Isles next September twoboys; we are planning to sign on to that one as well.

The WS catalog that we refer to as the "Wish Book" arrived yesterday. I went through first and turned down pages. Mrs. Milepig we make her choices - unturning my pages she's not interested in and probably turn down a few of her own. Then we'll decide what's next. I know there are other cruise lines, and our TA keeps saying "maybe you'd like xxx" but WS is like an old shoe at this point. With the faults, they really do feel like family.

Well said Milepig. They are like an "old shoe" to all that love Windstar. The ships are older, but familiar and comfortable....not a luxury line, but never claimed to be. What we love and keeps us coming back are the crew, always smiling and helpful, the warm and inviting casual atmosphere and the low number of guests. Every cruise line will have people aboard who can never be satisfied, and no cruise experience is perfect, but the large number of returnees to Windstar indicates that they are doing fine. We are booked for voyage #22 in January, and can't wait!

59 minutes ago, 2LoveToTravel said:

Well said Milepig. They are like an "old shoe" to all that love Windstar. The ships are older, but familiar and comfortable....not a luxury line, but never claimed to be. What we love and keeps us coming back are the crew, always smiling and helpful, the warm and inviting casual atmosphere and the low number of guests. Every cruise line will have people aboard who can never be satisfied, and no cruise experience is perfect, but the large number of returnees to Windstar indicates that they are doing fine. We are booked for voyage #22 in January, and can't wait!

I was just thinking about "old shoe" things this morning, and how sometimes something changes, and you get disappointed for no good reason.

As long as we've been using WS, the embarkation lunch featured Lasagna. It wasn't the world's best by any means, but after a week or two of eating (and enjoying) local food, my mouth started to water in anticipation of that stupid Lasagna. The last two itins it wasn't there and I was sad.

• 2 weeks later...

while i can't lay claim to over 20 windstar cruises, we have been on 6 with another booked this february. i have always said that high expectations leads to more bad reviews than good ones. for many people who are used to cruising on mass market lines, the windstar ships are older and more subtle. they don't have the glitz of the newer ships and actually look more like the elegant ships of before. they will wonder, "what am i paying more money for. these ships don't offer anything". it is simply a bad match and the smallness and camaraderie of these ships was not a high priority and the subtleness of the refined service was not noticed. to me, windstar is the ultimate best value out there. great service, food that is several notches above that of the mass market ships, a relaxed pace aboard ship, and a feel for the old kind of cruising. and only a notch above them in pricing. i do still take cruises on some mass market ships especially when shopping for price, but then i always lament, not complain,that they don't offer what windstar does.