donair: your fav place halifax/st john

luckyinpa

20 hours ago, luckyinpa said:

from articles i've read you get these in pizza shops so i'm assuming not too hard to find them but wondering what your fav places to try one of these was. we are renting a car both places so distance from ship really isnt an issue. 

We were going to try it when we were in Halifax, but instead had a nice sit down lunch near the public garden and were too full before heading back to the ship.

My understanding is they are a specialty to Halifax, so you might not find in Saint John, NB (or St. John, NL).  Since you are renting a car, I think the top rated donair was a short drive (but too far to walk).  King's Donair was the name maybe?

We just returned from our Canada/New England cruise and ate a donair at Johnny K's in Halifax.  Since it was my first donair I can't compare it to another but I will say that it was darn good and the portion was generous.  We ordered a regular size donair and split it with two drinks and it was $12 something in Canadian Dollars.  We paid with an American credit card and it came to $9.76, American dollars and a transaction fee was only .26.  We got it dressed like the menu said the original was, with donair sauce, onions, and tomatoes.

I can understand why this is a great late night snack.  It has the meat and the pita for filling you up but the sauce is on the sweet side and satisfies those cravings as well.  Of course if I go back I will try a different restaurant because part of the fun is trying to find the best place for...

If you eat one then please fill us in on where you got it and what you thought! 

• Like 1

On 10/24/2018 at 11:55 AM, pacruise804 said:

We were going to try it when we were in Halifax, but instead had a nice sit down lunch near the public garden and were too full before heading back to the ship.

My understanding is they are a specialty to Halifax, so you might not find in Saint John, NB (or St. John, NL).  Since you are renting a car, I think the top rated donair was a short drive (but too far to walk).  King's Donair was the name maybe?

You can get them anywhere and everywhere.

• Thanks 1