Driving from Boston to Cape Liberty

dwardlaw

We will be driving from Boston to Cape Liberty port in a few weeks using rt 95 and would like to if any one knows of any road, or bridge closures that we should be aware of for the trip.

We will be driving down on a Saturday so I think 95 would be ok unless someone has a better suggestion on the travel route.

Any help would be appreciated

I recommend avoiding I95 through NYC.  Here are directions:

If you come down I95 there is a cutover to the Merritt at Milford CT exit 38. At Rye NY there is another cutover to the Hutchinson River Parkway South exit 21 immediately after exit 2 in CT (no exit 1).  This cutover is just a bit longer than the one at Milford and involves getting off onto I287 West and following the signs to the Merritt/Hutch. You get off onto a service road, go through one or two lights and take the turn for the Hutch south.

The Merritt Pkwy becomes the Hutchinson River Pkwy at the NY/CT line. From the Hutch take exit 15 in New Rochelle to get on the Cross County Pkwy. Stay in the middle left lane, which will become the left lane when the road "scrunches". This leads directly onto the Saw Mill River Pkwy South which becomes the Henry Hudson Pkwy at the NYC line ($6 toll - if no EZPass they will bill you in the mail and you need to pay it!).  The toll is worth every penny to avoid the I95 & I87 intersection.

You take the George Washington Bridge exit and slide over to the middle left lane.  Follow the NJ Turnpike signs.  When you get on the turnpike, follow the first set of Lincoln Tunnel signs to get on the eastern spur of the turnpike, but don't get off at the actual tunnel exit. Continue on to exit 14-14A-14B-14C and follow the signs to exit 14A. 

The are no trucks on this route and you will avoid any traffic issues on the Cross Bronx Expressway or the I87 intersection.

I will second what 138East said.  I 95 through the Bronx aka the Cross Bronx Expressway is always a risk.  I can't easily back up for miles with construction, accidents etc.  I have always avoided, especially on the west/south bound trip.

I will second what 138East said.  I 95 through the Bronx aka the Cross Bronx Expressway is always a risk.  I can't easily back up for miles with construction, accidents etc.  I have always avoided, especially on the west/south bound trip.

I would a close check on traffic reports around NYC.  AM radio 880 and 1010 have updates every 10 minutes.  If the George Washington Bridge is jammed you can pick up I-287 in Westchester County and take it right the new Tappan Zee Bridge and then pick up the Palisades Parkway and take that back to I-95 in Ft.Lee or continue up to the Garden State Parkway and take that south to I-78 East and that goes right into the Cape Liberty area.  

I always have a Plan B when traveling around NYC

Edited by Mr. Click

3 hours ago, Got2Cruise said:

I doubt they’d be taking the Cross Bronx coming from Boston to Cape Liberty NJ. 

Not true.  Everyone on the South side of "Boston" is going to get on I95 and head for NY to the GW Bridge.  IMO the cars only Hutchinson River, Saw Mill River, Henry Hudson parkways with the $6 toll offer a much better route (the route of choice for our Westchester County relatives) if the traffic report is good.  This route offers a dedicated lane onto the GW Bridge which avoids the frequent backups which occur coming via the I95 approach.

3 hours ago, 138east said:

Not true.  Everyone on the South side of "Boston" is going to get on I95 and head for NY to the GW Bridge.  IMO the cars only Hutchinson River, Saw Mill River, Henry Hudson parkways with the $6 toll offer a much better route (the route of choice for our Westchester County relatives) if the traffic report is good.  This route offers a dedicated lane onto the GW Bridge which avoids the frequent backups which occur coming via the I95 approach.

Yes but that’s not the Cross Bronx Expressway. The Cross Bronx Expressway  is what we suckers from Long Island are forced to use to get to GWB. Coming from Boston you can cross over to 87 and then down. 

27 minutes ago, Got2Cruise said:

Yes but that’s not the Cross Bronx Expressway. The Cross Bronx Expressway  is what we suckers from Long Island are forced to use to get to GWB. Coming from Boston you can cross over to 87 and then down. 

I think we're basically saying the same thing - don't stay on I95.  However, what I'm suggesting is to take the cars only parkways through Westchester County instead of I87 to avoid the bottleneck intersection of I87 and I95.  The Henry Hudson Parkway has a toll that significantly reduces the traffic on that road.  There is a left hand exit that takes you onto Riverside Drive for a half block before you make a right onto the GW Bridge ramp system that leads you directly onto the bridge in a dedicated lane.  Even if the traffic reports say that there are delays getting on the GW, my experience over many years is that this route always seems to work and is not the source of the reported Bridge delays.  For a one time trip, the $6 toll and no truck traffic are well worth it.

I second Mr. Click’s alternative:  avoid the GW Bridge by taking I 287 from the Hutchinson River Parkway shortly after entering NY state, and crossing the Hudson on the Tappan Zee bridge , and then take the Palisades or Garden State Parkway.  It is a bit longer distance but I find avoiding the GW is advisable any day because of the virtual certainty of heavier traffic.

• Like 1

On 10/29/2018 at 8:56 AM, navybankerteacher said:

I second Mr. Click’s alternative:  avoid the GW Bridge by taking I 287 from the Hutchinson River Parkway shortly after entering NY state, and crossing the Hudson on the Tappan Zee bridge , and then take the Palisades or Garden State Parkway.  It is a bit longer distance but I find avoiding the GW is advisable any day because of the virtual certainty of heavier traffic.

If I go the Tappen Zee bridge what rt is the Palisades pkway and where do I exit for the port and same for the Garden St Pkwy.

don't want to be lost

Sorry it took so long to post, but the board wouldn't allow me to. This forum is still a bit wongy

1 hour ago, cruiseallways said:

If I go the Tappen Zee bridge what rt is the Palisades pkway and where do I exit for the port and same for the Garden St Pkwy.

don't want to be lost

Sorry it took so long to post, but the board wouldn't allow me to. This forum is still a bit wongy

After crossing the Tappan Zee (on I-287) you continue west until you see sign for Palisades Interstate Parkway (PIP),  (I do not think New Jersey parkways are numbered - always referred to by  name on signs) take PIP south until it ends at George Washington Bridge - then follow signs for New Jersey Turnpike - southbound- I-95.  Take I-95 south to exit 14-A, get on I-78 eastbound towards New York, take exit 14-A (also) when in Bayonne and follow signs to cruise terminal.

If you stay on I-287 a bit longer after the Tappan Zee you will see signs for Garden State Parkway (GSP) southbound. Take GSP south to exit 142-A, which will put you on I-78 eastbound a bit to the west of where you would have gotten on it from I-95. Then same exit 14-A in Bayonne.

PIP is prettier road and possibly a bit shorter, but getting to I-95 when it ends at George Washington Bridge is New Jersey driving at its hairiest worst.  As a New Englander, I would suggest you take the Garden State Parkway and I-78 route and avoid I-95 (the road to/from hell) altogether.