Did we get a good deal?

Eric92262

Our first cruise will be in a balcony cabin on the Grand Princess in June - San Francisco to Alaska and back - 10 days - round trip airfare included (Palm Springs) - two adults - $380 in shipboard credits - $5310.80 out the door.  We went through Costco.  Would appreciate feedback from more experienced cruisers.  Good deal, average, below?  If we enjoy it we plan to make it a summer ritual.  Thanks!

3 minutes ago, jlp20 said:

Despite whatever you paid, someone has paid less and someone has paid more. Whatever the cost was, you agreed to it.

Hi

… but you don't know that anyone paid less...

so as they say...don't worry, be happy. 😀

Welcome to cruise critic.

have a great cruise

3 hours ago, Eric92262 said:

Our first cruise will be in a balcony cabin on the Grand Princess in June - San Francisco to Alaska and back - 10 days - round trip airfare included (Palm Springs) - two adults - $380 in shipboard credits - $5310.80 out the door.  We went through Costco.  Would appreciate feedback from more experienced cruisers.  Good deal, average, below?  If we enjoy it we plan to make it a summer ritual.  Thanks!

sailing June 5th you did well, sailing June 25th and you got a awesome price. Every June sailing jumps 800.00 pp

Did you pick a specific cabin already? When I looked, there were some Caribe Deck balcony cabins available at the lowest price. They're terrific because the balconies are twice as large and are partially covered and partially uncovered. 

Asking "Did I get a good deal?" is pretty much the same as asking the board "Did I like the food?" after you return.

That said, Princess is currently running the 3-for-free promotion which includes pre-paid gratuities, so I assume your booking includes that as well. Beyond that, all I can say is watch for future promotions and if better ones come up before final payment date see if you can refare. In January/February Princess runs their Anniversary Sale which includes the same OBC and gratuities plus a free specialty restaurant dinner. During which I paid not that much more than what you did for two seven night Alaska cruises plus first class air fare from Florida to Vancouver. Unfortunately booking through a big box store could make refaring more complicated than through a full service TA (are there any left?) or direct with Princess. 

• 7 months later...

At long last, after eight months the cruise departs tomorrow.  Thank you so much Nic6318, taglovestocruise and geoherb for your responses.  I've learned since I posted that we got not just a good deal but a GREAT deal and we are seriously stoked about it!

Yes geoherb I had already chosen the cabin on the Lido Deck, so it is the uppermost cabin deck, and thanks to astute cruisers I've met on here I checked into what is above us.  The Beauty Salon.  Great!  Not the Fitness Center or the Youth and Teen Centers, which some of our neighbors will find themselves beneath.

Will try to get some sleep tonight but it will be tough  :)

Eric

• Like 1

There is truly nothing like that first cruise. I envy everyone who has that first time experience. It’s a certain joy and awe that can never be replicated. You will come back as hooked as we all are! Have a wonderful cruise.

Book your cruise, pay for it, then put these thoughts away.  Always someone will do better or worse.  You felt it was an ok deal when you booked so go and enjoy, it doesn’t matter if someone got a better deal it is not a competition.

4 hours ago, Eric92262 said:

At long last, after eight months the cruise departs tomorrow.  Thank you so much Nic6318, taglovestocruise and geoherb for your responses.  I've learned since I posted that we got not just a good deal but a GREAT deal and we are seriously stoked about it!

Yes geoherb I had already chosen the cabin on the Lido Deck, so it is the uppermost cabin deck, and thanks to astute cruisers I've met on here I checked into what is above us.  The Beauty Salon.  Great!  Not the Fitness Center or the Youth and Teen Centers, which some of our neighbors will find themselves beneath.

Will try to get some sleep tonight but it will be tough  🙂

Eric

Hah!  I'm on a cruise tomorrow morning, too, and here it is 4:30 AM.  I got up because I couldn't fall back to sleep!  Have a wonderful cruise!

5 hours ago, myra711 said:

Hah!  I'm on a cruise tomorrow morning, too, and here it is 4:30 AM.  I got up because I couldn't fall back to sleep!  Have a wonderful cruise!

I'm getting ready for my 20th cruise and I'm in my early 60's. The excitement and night before issues never go away. It would be sad if it just became old hat and there was no anticipation.

10 hours ago, h-sar said:

There is truly nothing like that first cruise. I envy everyone who has that first time experience. It’s a certain joy and awe that can never be replicated. You will come back as hooked as we all are! Have a wonderful cruise.

Not everyone gets hooked on cruising.  I have a friend that did his first cruise on Princess and he did not like it, and hasn't booked a cruise again.  I made the mistake of saying to him "I bet you had a great time".  He said we didn't enjoy it at all, so I didn't ask him what he didn't like.