Newark to Port Liberty

Alan Jenkins

2 hours ago, drtiny said:

My family ( approx 30) will be both flying and driving for a cruise July 13 this year.  Planning on staying in a hotel one day precruise on July 12.  We are in need of a clean, comfortable, safe affordable hotel ( $ 150)for one night.  Hoping close to restaurants and activity to pass the time.  I noticed Newark Liberty International Marriott is very affordable.  How far is this hotel from International Blvd in Elizabeth?  Some will drive and park at the port others will catch a lyft or uber.  Any ideas how much a lyft or uber would be to the port?  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

The Marriott is about 10 minutes by car from Jersey Gardens Mall.  There is a paid shuttle option.  Free shuttle from the Marriott to the P4 Airtrain Station and paid shuttle to the Mall.  

“Take a ride on The Mills at Jersey Gardens Shopper Shuttle if you need to get from Newark Liberty International Airport to Simon: The Mills at Jersey Gardens! The shuttle picks up passengers every 30 minutes from P4 and is a short 10 minute ride to the mall. Round trip cost is $9 | One way cost is $5.”  This is from https://www.goelizabethnj.com/listing/the-mills-at-jersey-gardens/417/

Word of warning about the parking at the Marriott.  Meg just posted that the daily parking rate is $44!!!!  I couldn’t find a specific price listed on their website (I can’t imagine why they are hesitant to quote a $44 price), but it does make sense because of the Marriott location in the middle of the airport where daily parking is $39.  We don’t have a lot of experience with the Marriott - it’s usually the most expensive hotel at the airport and just not on the radar for folks who are driving.

You have 30 people.  How many rooms is that?  Have you tried to get a group rate for all your people?  Country Inns caters to groups and has a wide variety of rooms and lots of queen beds.  I once had a mini suite with 3 Queen beds!

5 hours ago, counsdr said:

Just wondering if anyone has ever stayed at the Best Western at Newark? 

How does it compare to the Doubletree?

Cheryl - no one is recommending the Best Western.  It’s in an isolated area on the west side of the airport surrounded by long term parking and is more accessible from local Newark streets.  Look at it on Google earth.  The Doubletree has just been remodeled - look at the pictures on their website.  It. Is in a less accessible area on the north side of the airport with good access to Exit 14 to get to the port.  What exactly are you looking for and what date and budget.

On 10/23/2018 at 10:44 PM, Alan Jenkins said:

I have booked the Renaissance Newark Airport Hotel for precruise.  No one has mentioned it at all.  Is this a bad choice?  We will be flying to Newark and will need transportation to the port.

On 4/16/2019 at 2:35 AM, counsdr said:

For transportation to the port just take an Uber or a Lyft. It’s cheapest and easy!!!

I am from Canada. I'll be staying in Newark for a cruise..haven't decided which hotel yet. How do I phone for Uber or Lyft with my cell phone?  Is a Canadian Uber app the same as a US Uber app.  My phone does have US service...just not sure if it works the same way..hopefully no roaming....just wifi. 

Thank you in advance!

1 hour ago, counsdr said:

I don’t know if there’s a difference between Canadian and US Uber.

Maybe 138 East or Megr1125 might be able to help you.

Thank you for responding.  Perhaps I have to download the app while in the US.

I could have the hotel call me a cab. I don’t find there’s much of a difference in price here, between Uber and a taxi.  The car is much cleaner and the driver is much nicer, but the price stays about the same.  😂

6 minutes ago, ladysail2 said:

Thank you for responding.  Perhaps I have to download the app while in the US.

I could have the hotel call me a cab. I don’t find there’s much of a difference in price here, between Uber and a taxi.  The car is much cleaner and the driver is much nicer, but the price stays about the same.  😂

I don’t know that our taxis are cleaner or that the drivers are nicer!

The Doubletree Hotel for one does have a shuttle to the port.

Yes they do, but someone said that Uber to Lyft was a lot cheaper, especially since I’m not part of a couple or group.  I don’t think the Doubletree is that far from the port....but don’t quote me on that!  I have a while to plan this. 

Thanks!

1 minute ago, ladysail2 said:

Yes they do, but someone said that Uber to Lyft was a lot cheaper, especially since I’m not part of a couple or group.  I don’t think the Doubletree is that far from the port....but don’t quote me on that!  I have a while to plan this. 

Thanks!

Doubletree is by the Airport. The airport isn’t that far from the port.

36 minutes ago, counsdr said:

Doubletree is by the Airport. The airport isn’t that far from the port.

I think the hotel charges $30 pp for the port shuttle. That’s why taking a taxi sounds better. I don’t think it will cost as much.  Through the kindness of people sharing their experiences, I’ll find out 🙂

On 4/19/2019 at 12:05 AM, ladysail2 said:

Thanks!

The Doubletree is one of the closest airport hotels to the port.  There is easy access to NJ Turnpike Exit 14 with additional easy access to the Turnpike Extension to exit 14A (Bayonne) without having to actually get on the main turnpike.  My advice is to go between 9-9:30 to minimize any backups on the 2 mile port road.  Last cruise I got caught in a traffic jam for over an hour on the port road.  Much much better preferable to spend that time going through security, checking in, and waiting a little bit to board.  Anthem usually boards very early by 10:45-11 am. 

I see see you are a solo traveler and are on the same cruise as I am.  Please feel free to email me at cc138east at gmail dot com.  We have a small informal group of solo cruisers who dine at 5:30 and do beach days in the Caribbean - no obligations.

10 hours ago, counsdr said:

Ladysail2, when are you sailing and on which ship?

Hello, I'm on Explorer this December 13...for this particular information..re: Uber and Doubletree.  I have other cruises booked.  I'm on the Anthem as well, as 138east says.

39 minutes ago, ladysail2 said:

Hello, I'm on Explorer this December 13...for this particular information..re: Uber and Doubletree.  I have other cruises booked.  I'm on the Anthem as well, as 138east says.

Yes, I'm on Explorer this December, but not using Uber or Doubletree.....getting mixed up with cruises. Explorer leaves out of Miami....The Anthem leaves out of Newark...but I have a while to plan all that.  Time for bed....😊