Wheel chair on celebrity

dis2cruise

Hi, my mom will be joining us on our upcoming cruise.  She needs a little help with a wheel chair especially heading down the pier departing and arriving back to the ship.  Here’s my question...if mom has a wheel chair( a loner from celebrity ) can my husband & I push her when we arrive at a port down the pier and leave the wheel chair at the entrance of the port and leave it with celebrity officials and then upon arrival back to the ship get a wheel chair to help her back??

3 minutes ago, dis2cruise said:

..if mom has a wheel chair( a loner from celebrity ) ...

I suggest you contact Celebrity or read the cruise contract you will agree to. Princess SHORE personnel have wheelchairs available for EMBARKATION/DISEMBARKATION ONLY. The wheelchairs ON THE SHIP are for medical use only and are for no other use. I suggest you rent your own for the duration of the cruise.

Celebrity does loan a limited number of wheelchairs for passenger use, including at ports, but if you use it to push your mom off the ship, there is no where for Celebrity personnel to keep it where you leave the Celebrity area and walk  to the entrance of the port in many cases.  They might possibility keep it for you in the area where you get off the ship, but I think you would have to ask the security office manning the disembarkation area.  I wouldn't chance just leaving it because it probably won't be there when you come back.

So you have the choice of leaving it on the ship or taking it with you while you are in port.

there are no loaner chairs.   the ones on board are for emergencies..illness or injury  while on board.  

if she needs a chair you have to  bring your own.. either by renting from the two companies that have contracts to place them directly into the cabin, or by  obtaining one locally and traveling with it.  

We have cruised Celebrity for several years, the last time being the last week in August this year on the Summit.  We have our own wheelchair.  But each year we have seen them loan the wheelchairs to people who used them through the week and were even allowed to take them into port.  The wheelchairs have the word "Celebrity" enblazened on the back, so are very easy to spot.  In fact, this year, one of the persons in the wheelchair accessible cabin next to ours used one of these all week.  I have been told there is a limited number to loan to people--the remainder are used by the medical center and guest relations for emergencies, medical needs, and other ship purposes.  So Celebrity does in fact loan a limited number of wheelchairs.

I suggest that you contact Celebrity Special Needs and see if they can reserve one for you in advance.  If not, you may be able to get one of the ship if the limited number they have for that purpose have not been loaned out.  If you want to be absolutely certain to get one and Celebrity Special Needs won't let you reserve one, then you would need to bring your own.  I think it would be informative if you were to post your response from Celebrity Special Needs in case this issue comes up again.  I do know there are some available onboard, but I don't know if it can be reserved in advance.

We have reserved (no charge) and used Celebrity's wheelchairs 3-4 times both on the ship and off the ship at ports.   It was in our stateroom when we arrived (except for one time on the Summit it was not there and when we told our room attendant one was brought immediately).   We do not borrow their wheelchairs any more because my husband now has his own (for use pre-cruise, etc) + he now rents a scooter to use on the ship.   However, I note Celebrity's website no longer states that wheelchairs can be reserved.   I do have an email into their Special Needs inquiring about this and will post a reply when they respond. 

By the way, this is what Celebrity's website stated in May 2017 (this quote has since been removed from their website)

"We provide complimentary wheelchair assistance for embarkation and disembarkation only.

If you would like to have a wheelchair during the cruise, we have a limited supply of wheelchairs available on our ships. Please contact our Access Department if you would like to make a reservation for a wheelchair. If you want to ensure you will have a wheelchair or scooter onboard, you are welcome to bring your own or rent one from of the companies below who will deliver it your stateroom on the ship"

Edited by kokopelli-az
clarification

No sooner had I posted the above, I received an email from Celebrity answering my inquiry as to whether or not Celebrity wheelchairs were available for use during the cruise while on board and at port stops.  This is their response:

Thank you for your e-mail regarding reserving a Celebrity Wheelchair.

We can provide you with a folding manual wheelchair for the duration of the cruise. The wheelchair will be delivered to your stateroom on boarding day. You may use this wheelchair in the ports of call. Please provide your reservation number and we can gladly add this to the reservation.

Upon arriving at the pier, we recommend speaking with one of the Pier Agents and they will be able to provide boarding assistance. Once you are onboard, please speak with the Guest Services Desk to arrange wheelchair assistance to depart the ship at the end of the cruise.

Best regards,

Yavonna Thames-Harvey
Access Advocate