Are Photos taken on board edited/photshop to increase sales?

My husband and I (close to 60 yo) sailed on the Allure in Oct 2018.  We let a ship's photograph take a pic of us during dinner, and later in the sailing saw the printed pic at the Focus photo shop.  We were surprised at how good we looked, seemed wrinkles were smooth, jaw lines tightened, blemish evened out.  I honestly think the picture was edited by the ships photography services !   Do you think they ship's photo area edits pictures to increase sales ?   And yes we bought the picture (actually free since Diamond).  

If you schedule a session with a photographer, the pictures are likely Photoshopped a bit.  If it's a random picture at dinner...not likely, beyond some basic color, sharpening, and noise reduction that is done automatically.  They take too many pictures to edit each one for something like wrinkle removal.  At best, they may do a batch upload to the computer and do the auto adjustments that I mentioned to all pictures during the upload.

We have always found that the photos taken of us during dinner were the best ones of the entire cruise! Seriously, those are almost always one of the free ones we choose. I think it's because they are more casual and don't put you into strange poses. I mean really - who stands next to their partner with their hand on the guys chest? And how often does my 6'3" husband bend his head over my 5'1" one? LOL!

• Like 1

I suspect they run through a batch process that softens skin and lessens wrinkles.  I doubt someone does this by hand, it's likely an automated process.  If an app on a phone can do it, so can a computer processing thousands of files.

Not only does it have the potential to increase photo sales, but it adds to the overall memory of the cruise experience.  "Look how good we looked on that cruise" six months later.  "Let's book another".

Edited by twangster

2 hours ago, cello56 said:

We have always found that the photos taken of us during dinner were the best ones of the entire cruise! Seriously, those are almost always one of the free ones we choose. I think it's because they are more casual and don't put you into strange poses. I mean really - who stands next to their partner with their hand on the guys chest? And how often does my 6'3" husband bend his head over my 5'1" one? LOL!

Just say no. Laura refuses to do the hand on the chest picture.  

Now, I wouldn't mind doing it. 😉🍾

3 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Just say no. Laura refuses to do the hand on the chest picture.  

Now, I wouldn't mind doing it. 😉🍾

Yes you are right John, and we have started doing that. I tell them that we don't like that pose and won't buy the photo!