Taking candles on board - what will happen?

Curly_Sue

OP- You are not going to get a definitive answer to your question.  You will have to decide what is more important to you.  Many have given good options and you seem to throw a barrier up for most if not all of them.

My humble opinion would be to ask the store to ship to your home address.  If they can't do that then I would go to the post office and have them ship to your home.  If you are afraid they will confiscate and destroy then you are taking a risk that you will pay for the candles and not have them.

Good luck and enjoy your cruise.

At check in, your carry on bags are inspected and  x-rayed. Checked luggage is also x-rayed. Room stewards service the cabin daily and other crew may visit. Anything observed from the prohibited list is reported. Steward turned me in for a string of Christmas lights before the ship even pushed back.

3 minutes ago, jlp20 said:

At check in, your carry on bags are inspected and  x-rayed. Checked luggage is also x-rayed. Room stewards service the cabin daily and other crew may visit. Anything observed from the prohibited list is reported. Steward turned me in for a string of Christmas lights before the ship even pushed back.

were they packed  away or out ready to plug in?

If the cruise line, or security notice candles they will most likely be confiscated, with a view to returning to you at the end of the cruise. However, this is an administrative challenge for the ship and some items have been misplaced, on some ships. The statement on the website is probably to address this risk.

Make sure they are not in carry on bags. If you've got items not allowed in your carry on the likelihood of it being taken and simply discarded is higher. 

In bags checked for stateroom delivery there is a better chance of recovery if they are confiscated. 

Maybe wrap them into one consolidated package and mark with your name and stateroom number too. 

1 hour ago, Shellbelle28 said:

In bags checked for stateroom delivery there is a better chance of recovery if they are confiscated. 

This was called the naughty room. You would get a note in your cabin to report to security about your luggage. Had to do this once. All bags go through Xray, if anything questionable is seen a one or two word note is linked to the cabin number. In my case I show up to security and get in line. When It's my turn, show them cruise card and they retrieve the evil bag in question. They refer to a clip board and say "suspicious wires". I know what they saw, but instead I open an outside pocket and produce a power strip that they take possession of. 

9 hours ago, jlp20 said:

Where you given your lights back at the end of the cruise?

On 10/24/2018 at 6:23 AM, Curly_Sue said:

Hi everyone!

I hope you can advise me.  So I will be in the USA for a week before my Carnival cruise departs from Miami. I absolutely LOVE the store Bath & Body works (we don’t have any here in the UK) and I intend to purchase a few candles to bring back to the UK as gifts.

My question is; I understand candles are “prohibited” on my cruise and I totally understand why.  I have no intention of lighting any of the candles and surely it will be obvious that I have purchased them as gifts (because how many candles could one person need on a short cruise lol).  Will the candles be taken from me and destroyed?  Or will they be taken and retuned to me at some point?  I don’t want to flout any of the rules but I also don’t want to lose my candles.  I looked at luggage storage options to perhaps leave the candles somewhere while I go on the cruise but there are no storage facilities near the port and options further away will work out pretty expensive (travel costs to the facility + daily storage rate) seeing as its only to store a bunch of candles.  I don’t have time to go shopping after the cruise so it’s important I buy the candles before embarkation. Please share your experiences with this sort of thing and/or any suggestions.

As a sidenote, I also wondered if they will be strict regarding luggage weight? On the website it says they “suggest” you restrict baggage to under 23kgs, but is this limit actually enforced?

Thanks for your help on this!

Have you considered having BB&B ship them to you, or order them online and have them shipped to your home, even though it is not in the US.

12 minutes ago, zqvol said:

Have you considered having BB&B ship them to you, or order them online and have them shipped to your home, even though it is not in the US.

I looked in to this and sadly they don’t ship internationally.

I think the best suggestion is to shop and see if they will let you purchase, but pick up at the most convenient store from the port to the airport.  It shouldn't take more than 15 - 20 minutes to stop, run in, and pick up the package.

That way, NO worries about losing them.

Or even just stop and shop at that store on the way to the ship.

Keep in mind that every time you check your bag with candles in it you risk a breakage. Those glass jars would need to be packed very carefully if you plan to fly with them. Might want to look into something like this to help with packaging. If not available in the UK you can order and have delivered to one of your hotels in the US.

https://www.amazon.com/Protector-Reusable-Inflatable-Transportation-Cushioning/dp/B078LGKLPC/ref=sr_1_19?ie=UTF8&qid=1540564765&sr=8-19&keywords=wine+luggage+for+airplane+travel

I agree with other posters. When you have time to smell and pick your candles write them down, even talk to the store manager and ask what they can do to help with doing a pick up at the Bayside Market store in Miami after your cruise.

Bath and body works is standard all acrosed the US.   Also check online for coupons they run them ALLLLLLLL the time.

https://www.retailmenot.com/view/bathandbodyworks.com

On 10/24/2018 at 7:20 AM, txflood33 said:

Only Carnival will be able to give you a definite answer on this. To know for sure, I would recommend you call them and let them know of your intentions...they may be able to assist you if they know in advance.

This is the only way to know -- no guesswork and taking chances -- if they will let you bring them on board to store.

What about buying them before the cruise as you originally planned and heading to a FedEx location for international shipping? I used them when DH was in Europe with lost luggage and needed some work clothes (he was too big and too tall for anything in the shops where he was).

https://www.fedex.com/en-us/shipping/international-shipping-guide.html

On 10/24/2018 at 6:32 AM, champagne123 said:

When people bring items that are prohibited on board, they are confiscated by the cruise line and held until the final day.  You may pick up your items the last day of your cruise. 

This is not always the case.

OP - you should contact the Cruise line directly and ask them!

The cruise line can't possibly write rules to cover EVERY scenario, so they reserve the right to hold or discard items.  We've seen the 'naughty room' where items are stored... loads of power cords/surge protector strips, plus coffee makers and rice cookers (seriously!)  We once had an extension cord get through screening, but then get removed by our steward, which is why I got to visit.

The option to discard is for alcohol (friends said they dump out booze in containers that aren't factory sealed) and anything else that might leak, melt, rot, or otherwise cause a mess.  Plus items that you can't take off the ship in other ports, like fresh flowers, fruit, etc.  There are different stories about sealed alcohol -- some claim that the new bottles sometimes make it to the crew area instead of being dumped... no proof one way or the other.

Your candles would be confiscated - if they are detected at all - and held for you to pick up the last morning.  Since they won't cause a mess sitting in a box in the naughty room, odds are very good that you'd get them back unharmed.

I wouldn't recommend trying to hide or conceal them in your luggage, nor would I point them out.  However, I do recommend leaving them in your luggage in your stateroom.  The room stewards are required to confiscate anything they SEE in your stateroom. 

On 10/27/2018 at 5:48 AM, MicCanberra said:

The reason they have a 23 kg limit on the bags is due to health and safety of the people handling the luggage.You can always bring to two bags.

You need to check the airline.  Most will allow up to 32 kg, for an extra fee.

In some cases, the extra fee for over weight is less than the fee for an extra bag.  Sometimes the extra bag is less.

No one answer fits all airlines.

• 2 weeks later...

I had an EMPTY water bottle confiscated  boarding a Carnival cruise - It had been all over the world without any query before that.  Not cruised with Carnival since.

Plan C

Go to the shop and sniff away, find those you like then buy here?
https://www.bathandbodyshop.co.uk/Shop/Bath-AND-Body-Works/Candles-AND-Wax-Melts.html

Maybe take the list with you to make sure the ones you like are in the UK.

Are they so much cheaper in the US?

The 3-wick are $14.50 on sale right now quite a bit cheaper than the 22.99 pounds in the link. 

6 hours ago, Aulanis said:

Plan C

Go to the shop and sniff away, find those you like then buy here?
https://www.bathandbodyshop.co.uk/Shop/Bath-AND-Body-Works/Candles-AND-Wax-Melts.html

Maybe take the list with you to make sure the ones you like are in the UK.

Are they so much cheaper in the US?