Boudicca Indian Ocean

Carol T

Hi,

Not on the exact same cruise, but am off on Thursday for the loop cruise starting in Mauritius, but also calling in the Seychelles and Reunion the same as yours.

If you looking at booking tours I can recommend a Taxi company you can book for the day in Mauritius and a hire car company on Praslin in the Seychelles.  Only have reservations and not paid in advance and their customer service has been very good so far. Can let you know what they are like when I get back if you'd like a full review.

First time cruiser here, so it's all new to me.  Done a lot of independent travelling though, so have done the land based bit is a doddle to sort.

Mauritus:  taxi-inmauritius.com  

They do some set itineraries, but are happy to let you choose your own and you can pay cash at the end of the tour too rather than other companies who are asking for it all upfront.  Due to the time constraints (the ship sales at 17:00 for us and FO have asked us to be back onboard by 16:00) and not having any local knowledge the agent at the office (Ameer) has been very helpful letting us know what is possible in the time we have.  We have paid 2,800 MUR to hire a Taxi for the day plus 700 MUR port fee, will pick up and drop off at the cruise terminal.  (Around £80).  If you can find someone who would be happy to do a tour share the price remains the same, we are a group of four, so compared to the Fred tours it's a bargain.  I am paying on the day in cash (have about 500 MUR for a tip for the driver) and you can get currency from any high street bureaux, order online though, you always get a better rate and if they have to order it in you don't have to do two trips.  You can hire a car from the same company for the day, but we decided having a driver was a good idea as local traffic can be quite heavy in Port Louis and we didn't want to risk getting lost or being late for the ship.

Seychelles - Praslin Island car hire: capricornseychelles.com

55 Euros for a car for the day, will do drop off and pick ups from the jetty.  You can only get local currency in the Seychelles itself, we are getting a bit to cover sundries in Victoria, but I notice you're stopping there second.  It looks like all the tourist places take Visa or Mastercard (AMEX sadly not widely accepted).  Praslin is a tiny Island (half an hour top to bottom) and as we wanted to go to Fond Ferdinand and the beach the a hire car worked out the best option.

Reunion's currency is the Euro (& don't forget your EHIC for that day, just in case, you'll probably find your phone on your home tariff there too so a great place to do all the correspondence), I have decided that none of the tours are for me on Reunion so will be taking full advantage of the shuttle to Saint-Denis.

Hope that helps, any actual question about the ship I will be able to answer in a couple of weeks.

Oh and you might want to set up a separate Roll Call for tour shares with the cruise number on it format as follows:

Boudicca <<Cruise Number >> - <<Date>> 2018 - Indian Ocean Mauritius to Sri Lanka.  It's easier to search on and means you might find few more fellow travellers.

• Thanks 1

Thank you so much! That's really helpful. When I've cruised before, I try to find others who, like me, don't like the 'organised' tours so I'm keeping my fingers crossed I'll be able to do that this time. The currency info was also really appreciated. 

Do you stop at Colombo?  I understand a visa is needed even tho it's just disembarking > to airport, which I have yet to get.

Many thanks again. I look forward to a full report please. 

Have a great trip x

We're not stopping in Colombo, but it looks like it's an ETA (https://www.eta.gov.lk/slvisa/visainfo/fees.jsp) and is free for a two day transit visa.  

Having also travelled on my own quite a bit it's nice to find people to share trips with (the internet is so good for this, you have to admit it's got so much easier to organise things these days), but I do also like just heading off on my own and seeing where I get to.

Am really looking forward to the RIB tour I have booked with FO though, 11 spaces on the tour and it's the only one they are running on our particular trip.  Really happy to have got a place on it.

Talking of, I really should stop reading the boards and go and pack a few more bits!

Not sure if you will have been sent this yet:

https://i.emlfiles4.com/cmpdoc/8/2/4/6/2/1/files/63498_foc441082_indian_ocean_76pp_destination_guide_fv_lowres.pdf

More useful than the tour brochure and because it covers all of the Indian Ocean it covers all our cruises.  They really should send this with the other brochure.

And I'm back to the packing...

• 2 weeks later...

I applied for the 2 day transit visa and have received it now.  It was a bit confusing on the Embassy website as to whether this free visa was the correct one or if I needed the 30 day paid for one.  I emailed the embassy to check but have not received a reply.  Yesterday I and FO and was told I should have got the 30 day one.  She said the transit visa was only for passengers visiting Sri Lanka mid cruise, not for those flying home from there as we are.  She said we wouldn't be able to apply for the 30 day one now as we have already got the transit visa.  It will be interesting to see what happens when we arrive in Sri Lanka.  I am not worried as I know it is not like the visa for India where you cant board the ship without the correct visa.  Which visa has everyone else got?

In 2017, we were supposed to be flying in to Sri Lanka, transferring to Voyages of Discovery 'Voyager' have a day in Sri Lanka then sail out. So less than 48hrs on the island. Like 'tallahcruiser' I went onto the embassy website, which I found very confusing, applied for and got the transit Visa. I then had a panic and thought I may have got the wrong one, emailed the embassy, but to this day have never received a reply. Unfortunately our cruise didn't happen, as 'Voyages' went bust 2 months before we were due to go.  Whilst this is of no help whatsoever, just wanted to say, yes the embassy website is very confusing.

I am pleased you found it confusing, well not pleased about the confusion, just reassuring it isn't just me.  We  have negotiated the India visa many times so we are familiar with the visa process.  I just wish they would make it clearer to understand.  Still no reply from the embassy.

I very much doubt you will get a reply. How about phoning the Sri Lankan embassy in London, they can only say no, but they may help. Nothing ventured ............! Might be better then either being refused embarkation, or problems on arrival in Sri Lanka. Far be it from me to tell somebody who has done lots of travel to that part of the world, what to do, but just throwing out an idea.

We were on Fred’s Authentic India cruise flying back from Colombo to Manchester on 18th October. Had an overnight in Colombo and did the Tea Plantation tour (highly recommended) on an electronic transit ETA with no problems. Sri Lanka is much less bureaucratic than India. 

Having checked with FO I applied for SriLanka visa (got to be 30 day, cost $35) & have received email confirmation from the Immigration Dept. that it's ok. This is the required info:

Passport no.

Nationality British Subject (GBS)

Date of birth

Arrival/departure date (in my case Jan 10 2019

purpose of travel Tourist, sightseeing, holiday

MS Boudicca

Address in Sri Lanka MS Boudicca

Flight home number

Hope this helps.

I am still waiting for a reply from the embassy.  The reason for my visit to Sri Lanka is to fly home so as far as I was aware that was in transit so that is the visa I applied for.  Not having received a reply from the embassy confirming I have the correct visa I rang FO who told me I should have had the 30 day visa which makes no sense at all as I wont even be spending one night in Sri Lanka and the transit visa is valid for 2 nights.  The information on the web site is not at all clear.  FO told me I wont be able to get the 30 day visa now as I have the transit visa which they told me is meant for passengers who are visiting for the day then sailing on to another port, not flying home as I am.  Worst case scenario, providing the ship isn't full we stay on board and fly home from somewhere else.  Best case, we can get the correct visa when we get to Sri Lanka or they will accept the transit visa.

22 hours ago, fairliered said:

We were on Fred’s Authentic India cruise flying back from Colombo to Manchester on 18th October. Had an overnight in Colombo and did the Tea Plantation tour (highly recommended) on an electronic transit ETA with no problems. Sri Lanka is much less bureaucratic than India. 

Was that the 2 night free visa that you had? 

18 hours ago, fairliered said:

Yes, it was.

18 hours ago, fairliered said:

Yes, it was.

Thank you for reply. I wonder why FO has told me I need the 30 day tourist visa.  I would love to do the tea plantation tour but I don't think we will have time.  I am hoping some sort of tour will be available en route to the airport.  We have been to Sri Lanka before but were restricted where we could go because of the trouble with the Tamils.  We had to sign a disclaimer to be able to leave the ship.  The ship broke down in Columbo, we were there for a few days waiting for engine parts.  Hop we have better luck this time and no trouble with our visa.

We were able to do the tea plantation tour as we arrived in Sri Lanka on 17th October, stayed overnight on Boudicca, and flew home on 18th October (Fred. Olsen charter flight). I am sure there will be tours available en route to the airport, but they will probably just be around Colombo. Your tour book should arrive soon.

If it's any help regarding what FO say about visas it was only when we got our passports back that we found out the Madagascar visa was free, had been told it would be 27 Euros!  Now this may not necessarily apply to Sri Lanka, but frankly it is a fine example of them not knowing what they are talking about.  If you are in transit and are in Sri Lanka for less than two days I can't see it being an issue.

14 hours ago, Snorkel & Flippers said:

If it's any help regarding what FO say about visas it was only when we got our passports back that we found out the Madagascar visa was free, had been told it would be 27 Euros!  Now this may not necessarily apply to Sri Lanka, but frankly it is a fine example of them not knowing what they are talking about.  If you are in transit and are in Sri Lanka for less than two days I can't see it being an issue.

Yes that's what I thought.  I  cant see any other purpose for a 2 night visa other than for a stay of 2 nights or less which is what we are doing. I know you don't need any visa at all if you re only transiting through the airport so it cant be for that.  I am not contacting FO again as you say they don't seem to be very knowledgeable about the visas and I still haven't heard from the embassy so we will take a chance with what we have.  I imagine some passengers who have taken advice from FO and paid for the visa wont be happy if they find out they didn't need to pay.

• Like 1

I have just received this email from the embassy.  It was rather confusing but I thik it is saying the transit visa is ok.  What do you think.

Dear Sir/Madam,

Sorry for the previous reply.

As you assume if you are Transit through Sri Lanka, Transit Visa will be satisfactory to do that. But if you are travelling in Sri Lanka for tourist purpose you need to get a Tourist Visa.

Best Regards,

Visa Division

High Commission of Sri Lanka 

No.13, Hyde Park Gardens
London W2 2LU,
United Kingdom. 

Tel: 020 7262 1841
Fax: 020 7262 7970

Visit our Web :

http://srilankahc.uk

From: visa@srilankahighcommission.co.uk <visa@srilankahighcommission.co.uk>
Sent: 19 November 2018 10:48
To: 'Sue Cammish' <suehornsea@aol.com>
Subject: RE: Transit Visa

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for contacting Sri Lanka High Commission in London. As you informed, if your son transit through Sri Lanka – from Port of Colombo  to Bandaranaike International Airport – Transit visa is satisfactory to do that. But if he travelling somewhere in Sri Lanka for tourist purpose; Tourist visa is required.

Best Regards,

Visa Division

I also had the letter about the Visa but am staying 4 nights so had to get the 30 day one.  I would not be happy if paid for one and wasnt needed. A few years ago we were told on a cruise needed a Yellow Fever vaccination with HAL as visiting St Lucia after Brazil. Paid £55 and people who hadn't bothered still boarded the ship. Very annoying.